Cell Phone Service in San Juan

heydn62

Anybody know if US carriers provide service in Puerto Rico? I have T-Mobile, my kids have Verizon.

If so, do they charge an international rate?

We have Verizon and they provide the service just fine. I don't know what plan your kids have but I have that America's choice plan and I waited until we were fully docked in the port before I even turned on my phone. We made a couple of ten minute calls and then when I got the bill I didn't even see anything on there referring to San Juan so it basically was included in my calling plan. Just make sure that, if you do make a call, wait until the ship is docked and then you pick up the towers on San Juan and not the ship's towers. I don't know about T-Mobile, someone else will have to answer about that company.

AT&T/Cingular works fine and since Puerto Rico is a US territory, there was no roaming. Now, I did upgrade to "World" service (I think that's the right name) for just 1 month to make sure that I wouldn't have roaming charges from the other islands that were non US.

We were in San Juan this past weekend on RCCL AOS. My 19.95 Tracfone worked just fine from Old San Juan. The minutes are prepaid so they didn't cost anymore than they would at home. The phone also picked up fine most of the time from inside the ship. This is the way to go even if you have another phone. You can buy them at Walmart or even drugstores.

We were in San Juan this past weekend on RCCL AOS. My 19.95 Tracfone worked just fine from Old San Juan. The minutes are prepaid so they didn't cost anymore than they would at home. The phone also picked up fine most of the time from inside the ship. This is the way to go even if you have another phone. You can buy them at Walmart or even drugstores.

Now that's a good idea!:)

Both San Juan and the US Virgin islands are part of the States, so as long as you have national plan these two should be included (I say shoul, best to clarify with your particular provider).

Here in Puerto Rico; Verizon (known now as Claro), Cingular-AT&T and Sprint seem to be the main carriers and then there are Suncom etc... Cell coverage throughout the island is pretty good and you should not have any problems in San Juan.

If you plan on making calls from other islands, it would probably be a good idea to an international roaming (or something) sio that you do not get stung for massive call charges when on these non-US islands.

Archived