Changes at Uniworld

caviargal

I find it interesting that Ellen Bettridge claims that Uniworld is becoming more inclusive, when it is becoming less so based on what I am reading.

Next year port charges will be additional; extra cost excursions have been added back to the itineraries; now on our cruise next month one of the dining options is an additional 95 pp or 130 depending on menu chosen! Zero mention of this on their website and the wording implies that this is an included dining option. Very misleading and disappointing IMO.

Getting ready to sign up for another 2018 Uniworld cruise. Would also like to know the specifics caviar girl on the different dining options.

I do believe it is gimmicky, and in poor taste, to have an extra billing for port charges. I do remember a previous discussion about missing a couple of ports, because of water levels, and a feud over what those charges should be. I don't know how it was resolved. Uniworld? Nor other Lines, list per capital port charges.

I just booked and paid for a 2018 Egypt cruise/land tour, and there is no line item for port charges. This is different from my 2015 Vietnam & Cambodia cruise/land tour, which had a separate line item for port charges.

Wow!

Thanks C-Girl. Wher:De did you see this?

We are sailing with them in two weeks and the dining that looks to be included was advised by their reservations people to be at an additional charge.

The port charges are in the 2018 brochure that I recently received. They confirmed this change and the "availability" of premium excursions at additional cost.

Getting ready to sign up for another 2018 Uniworld cruise. Would also like to know the specifics caviar girl on the different dining options.

I do believe it is gimmicky, and in poor taste, to have an extra billing for port charges. I do remember a previous discussion about missing a couple of ports, because of water levels, and a feud over what those charges should be. I don't know how it was resolved. Uniworld? Nor other Lines, list per capital port charges.

This is what is on their website, on the home page for the ship:

"This year, Uniworld’s newest Super Ship—S.S. Joie de Vivre—will bring the “joy of living” to the rivers of France. Step aboard your floating pied-à-terre in France, featuring handcrafted furniture and fine antiques, original artwork, and signature accents inspired by 20th-century Parisian design from the Golden Twenties to the free-spirited Sixties, all blending seamlessly with modern conveniences."

And then this, listed under the dining options, along with The Bistro and Claude's:

"LA CAVE DES VINS

Lovers of French food and wine can experience an exclusive epicurean event in our onboard show kitchen. Under the guidance of Uniworld’s talented chef, prepare an exquisite seven-course meal. Then relish your creation with wine pairings designed just for you by our Sommelier. Simply ask our Concierge to reserve your spot. Bon appetit!"

Nowhere does it mention that this one venue is an extra charge. Nor is there an asterisk to footnote that fact.

We very much enjoyed the wine pairing dinner Scenic offered on our cruise with them and these were not at an additional cost. I think it is very misleading.

• 1 month later...
LA CAVE DES VINS

Lovers of French food and wine can experience an exclusive epicurean event in our onboard show kitchen. Under the guidance of Uniworld’s talented chef, prepare an exquisite seven-course meal. Then relish your creation with wine pairings designed just for you by our Sommelier. Simply ask our Concierge to reserve your spot. Bon appetit!"

This reads more like an activity/meal vs. just a meal and maybe this is why it carries an additional charge. Did you research it further on your recent voyage? To me, it sounds like a fun time and worth the extra charge.

This reads more like an activity/meal vs. just a meal and maybe this is why it carries an additional charge. Did you research it further on your recent voyage? To me, it sounds like a fun time and worth the extra charge.

I did not. We chose to have a fabulous meal in Rouen instead.:)

Food overall on the cruise was good, not great.

I believe Le Cave des Vins is actually a by reservations only Chef's table tasting menu event and it costs extra because they bring on high dollar gourmet items such as fois gras and truffles. If you are a foodie, I would think this would be worth the extra money.

AMA offers a Chefs Table experience and it's included for each guest. Just saying. And they don't claim to be "all inclusive". Wouldn't it be better if Uniworld figured the price into the overall cruise fare if they want to tout themselves as "all inclusive"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no interest in preparing my own meal on a cruise, and would not want the cost to be included in the cruise fare. Definitely an optional, add on activity.

Roz

Is Uniworld still offering the free (but reservations required) Saveur Menu Dinner? We've experienced that on 3 of their ships - on two it was up on the sun deck at sunset in the small covered dining area behind the bridge and on the SS Catherine it was in the Leopard Lounge. It's a 5 course chef's meal for a max of 20 passengers (if I remember correctly) at a time and was absolutely delicious on our 3 cruises in 2015 and 2016.

This is a bit disappointing. This is the reason I hate most ocean cruises. We chose Uniworld to not worry about being nickel and dime throughout the trip. We were on the Viking and it wasn't terrible with the options, so at least I hope that is how Uniworld will present options. But I agree, don't call yourself all-inclusive if you are not. We have stayed in many all-inclusive resorts and never was given an option to do something, or eat something or see something.

Is Uniworld still offering the free (but reservations required) Saveur Menu Dinner? We've experienced that on 3 of their ships - on two it was up on the sun deck at sunset in the small covered dining area behind the bridge and on the SS Catherine it was in the Leopard Lounge. It's a 5 course chef's meal for a max of 20 passengers (if I remember correctly) at a time and was absolutely delicious on our 3 cruises in 2015 and 2016.

There was a free offering on the Antoinette last month. Unlike what we experienced on the Paris Normandy cruise, it was served family style.

Robin

There have always been complaints that Uniworld was not totally all-inclusive but they are pretty darn close! Adding a super deluxe option such as the Cave de Vins that might be difficult to accommodate the entire ship does not seem unreasonable as long as the quality of the cruise is not downgraded otherwise. In other words, it is a totally incremental option for an incremental fee. Seems fair and is a far cry from being "nickled and dimed".

There have always been complaints that Uniworld was not totally all-inclusive but they are pretty darn close! Adding a super deluxe option such as the Cave de Vins that might be difficult to accommodate the entire ship does not seem unreasonable as long as the quality of the cruise is not downgraded otherwise. In other words, it is a totally incremental option for an incremental fee. Seems fair and is a far cry from being "nickled and dimed".

But they also offer tours with extra fees. Think about the newbie river cruiser who is doing research on the various lines. This is not to say Uniworld is not an excellent product. But there have been more than one discussion on this board if Uniworld is truly all inclusive. The extra fee is an upcharge. Those booking should know this beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In looking at their website the only excursions and dining options listed under the day to day description are the included options. So are the upcharge options only presented once on board? That is a bit misleading. Also, the description of the Cave des Vins dinner does not indicate an upcharge...that is especially deceptive and confusing. I don't fault Uniworld for offering additional options for an upcharge but they should be more clear upfront.

Another note...the website does not declare that Uniworld is all inclusive. Only when looking at a specific cruise do you see a category labeled "All Inclusive" that then lists what is included when you click on it. That link should just be labeled "Included" to avoid assumptions, otherwise I can see where some might construe that the cruise is all inclusive. Confusing for sure.

I have no problem calling it all inclusive. Breakfast lunch and dinner every day are included. Tours every day are included. Gratuities and drinks are included. You can have a first class experience without any extra charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did not. We chose to have a fabulous meal in Rouen instead.:)
Thank you for the response!
I believe Le Cave des Vins is actually a by reservations only Chef's table tasting menu event and it costs extra because they bring on high dollar gourmet items such as fois gras and truffles.
I bet another reason is to control demand. As a chef's table, the company probably isn't able to accommodate everyone who might wish to dine there should it be included as a part of the fare.

I have no problem calling it all inclusive. Breakfast lunch and dinner every day are included. Tours every day are included. Gratuities and drinks are included. You can have a first class experience without any extra charges.

You can do that on any river cruise advertised to North Americans, even the ones that have never mentioned "all-inclusive." The Uniworld Difference section of their website clearly says "All-Inclusive." There is no question that Uniworld is one of the top river cruise lines, but if they are going to claim to be "all-inclusive" they should eliminate the extra charges for excursions and dining. [spa services and top shelf liquors are always exceptions to "all-inclusive." The other things mentioned in this thread shouldn't be.]

IMPECCABLE SERVICE with one of the highest staff-to-guest ratios of any cruise line

INTIMATE and BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED SHIPS carrying an average of just 130 guests

ALL GRATUITIES onboard and onshore

All-scheduled AIRPORT TRANSFERS

Elegant and well-appointed RIVERVIEW STATEROOMS and SUITES, with the finest linens, towels and Savoir® beds for an incredible night's sleep

IN-SUITE BUTLER SERVICE

DELICIOUS ONBOARD DINING and UNLIMITED BEVERAGES (including many premium spirits and wines)

A wide choice of PERSONALIZED EXCURSIONS led by English-speaking local experts

A number of EXCURSIONS curated EXCLUSIVELY for Uniworld guests

WELL-EQUIPPED onboard FITNESS CENTER

Onboard EXERCISE & WELLNESS classes (with certified onboard wellness instructorsin Europe)

BICYCLES and NORDIC WALKING POLES for onshore use

Shipwide INTERNET and WI-FI access

ONBOARD ENTERTAINMENT and SIGNATURE LECTURES

NOTE: Inclusive amenities may differ by itinerary.