Port hotel with free parking and shuttle

AmandaKaye79

We will be driving to FLL and want to stay the night at a hotel that includes parking and shuttle to the cruise port. We won't arrive until after 10 pm the night before the cruise so we don't need to be close to anything for exploring or dining. What do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I drive to Port Everglades at least once a month and here are a few personal observations:

1. I love the beach areas but parking is an issue - sometimes really tight but always expensive and the traffic can be a bear! Even the budget-minded Bahia Mar wants $27 a night for parking! So I stopped trying to find hotels near the beach.

2. I like the 17th Street hotels too but parking is again a problem costing $7 a night at Hyatt Place (which is OK I guess) and upwards ($24 a night at the Embassy Suites and $25 for Hilton Marina). So I stopped staying there unless I get a really low rate at any of the hotels.

3. The next closest place to the beach/port are the Rte 1 hotels but only the Ft Lauderdale Cruise Port Inn is acceptable to me and they do have FREE parking. Yay! I can walk to the Harbor Shops but I usually drive or Uber because after dark I feel a bit uneasy through the neighborhood.

4. If the Cruise Port Inn rates are too high I next look at the State Road 84 hotels - Crowne Plaza charges $10 a day parking and is out. So I always stay at either the Hampton Inn, Candlewood Suites or Holiday Inn Express (FREE parking at all three) and it is great to be only 1.5 miles from the port gate. There is a grocery store, bar and restaurants right next door. And Uber to all the best places are very cheap from here! These hotels should be well within your budget range in November - I rarely pay more than around $150 a night.

5. There are many hotels to the south along I-95 but those are not near anything and too far from the port for my liking. When there's an accident along I-95 then all the access roads nearby get clogged.

6. With a vehicle you can stay anywhere really and for a quiet night the Plantation area is often recommended and I agree. The Hampton Inn offers free shuttles.

About port shuttles - every time I watch the crowds gather to get on a hotel shuttle I wonder why? If you stay at a hotel on 17th Street or Road 84 then the Port is a cheap short PRIVATE Uber away! So much better especially after the cruise when you have to get back in the shuttle van - Use Uber instead is my suggestion! If you stay far away such as Plantation then I understand the need for free shuttles because Uber is too expensive.

About parking - Instead of parking at a hotel and using the hotel shuttles, I suggest to park at Park 'n Go and then you have secured parking at low rates and a very efficient shuttle service.

Anyways, these are just my personal thoughts to give you some ideas to ponder!

Edited by SteerageJoe

Thanks for the great info Joe -

We have IHG points, and we are driving down - so I was looking at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Plantation or even the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Pembroke Pines - I see you recommended the Plantation area, how is Pembroke Pines? We have multi-generations - 70's, 50's, 30's & grandkids 2, 6 & 12 - Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the great info Joe -

We have IHG points, and we are driving down - so I was looking at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Plantation or even the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Pembroke Pines - I see you recommended the Plantation area, how is Pembroke Pines? We have multi-generations - 70's, 50's, 30's & grandkids 2, 6 & 12 - Thanks in advance!

Your's look like a big fun family!

Unfortunately I am not a Plantation/Pembroke expert! I have not stayed there because I prefer to stay as far east of I-95 as I can but I am familiar with the area because of the mall. There are others here with greater insight about the location as a multi-generational destination!

I suggested Plantation to this one family who were arriving late and just needed a good night's rest without breaking the bank! More often I suggest hotels closer to the Port and especially the water taxi.