Recipe for Bitter & Blanc

CRUZFOOLS

• 4 weeks later...
I have a thread for all the Carnival Recipes. Here is the Bitter and Blanc recipe, it is scaled to a large amount so you will have to scale it down. Here is the site:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=7099806&highlight=Bitter+Blanc#post7099806.

Let me know how it went.

If you scroll down further on that thread above, I had reposted the recipe after a chef helped me to convert the recipe to 8 servings! It takes some time to make it, but soooo worth it. Enjoy!

• 3 years later...
Made B&B at home, even went to Cracker Barrel for the souffe cups. It turned out good, but from some reason it taste better on a cruise.

Everything tastes better on a cruise!

I've never had the bitter and blanc, and so looking forward to it.

• 1 year later...

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

serves 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).

• For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.

• For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.

• In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.

• In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.

• Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.

• In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.

• Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

• 2 weeks later...

I made this recipe yesterday for a dinner party and it was a big hit. I doubled the recipe for the vanilla sauce and probably should have tripled it. It is very time consuming to make, but so worth it. Next time I make it, I will bake in a 9 x 13 pan. Think it gets a little dry in ramekins, but the sauce really moistens the bread. Yummy!!!

• 5 months later...

Thanks for posting the recipe! I found a simple recipe for French Brioche at allrecipes.com. Made the bread in the bread machine, then followed your instructions for the Bitter & Blanc. Delicious - Although I agree that everything tastes better on a cruise!

Happy Cruising and Baking!

Archived