Avalon Waterways

xpcdoojk

Got our travel documents in the mail yesterday! Yay!

On a note of irritation. My and my wife's passports expire late March 2015, so months maybe a year ago, I checked every country we are visiting to see what the requirements were. Everyone of the countries, Romania, Serbia, Hungary, Austria and Germany (flying thru) require a valid passport that is valid 3 months after we leave the country we are visiting as tourists. Yet the stupid documents from Avalon say 6 months. I know that there are countries in the world that require this but none that we are visiting. This caused me to lose sleep last night until I could check again with each country we are visiting.

Stupid cruise-line or lazy cruise-line.:mad:

jc

It doesn't really matter what the countries rules are; if the cruise line says six months that is the rule you have to live by as they won't let you on the ship otherwise.

This is true and when you're in some of these countries the rules can change based on who is charged with enforcing them! That may be why the cruise line is saying 6 months. We were on Budapest to Black sea past spring and when we were leaving Hungary it took about 4 hours to clear customs. First the captain and the hotel manager had to bring all the passports to their customs agent. then the customs agent wanted a face check of every passenger and crew member. Then there was more paper work. Finally we were alllowed to leave.....we'd only been IN their country for over a week....and it was much easier getting in than getting out!! Our TM later told us that we were lucky, the last time they wanted a face check it was 3 a.m. and they had to get all passengers and crew out of bed.

I got the cruise line to confirm that 3 months is all that is required. They didn't say that they don't bother to change the boiler plate that they send out on all of the paperwork, but I am betting that is the case.

The cruiseline has known my passport information for almost 18 months. Yet they mail boiler plate out to increase the BP of clients. :D Guess they are just making sure I am still alive.....:eek:

jc

I got the cruise line to confirm that 3 months is all that is required. They didn't say that they don't bother to change the boiler plate that they send out on all of the paperwork, but I am betting that is the case.

The cruiseline has known my passport information for almost 18 months. Yet they mail boiler plate out to increase the BP of clients. :D Guess they are just making sure I am still alive.....:eek:

jc

This 6 month rule has been used very widely by most travel and tour companies. The companies don't want to have you getting stuck in a foreign country with an expired passport. For example if you became disabled and required medial treatment and could not be returned him for 4 month, your passport could expire and you wouldn't be able to travel home.

Cruise lines DO NOT look at your passport information, they are keeping it to be able present to the necessary authorities and to meet the requirements of those countries. No cruise line has someone on staff reading everyone's passport details.

In several of the countries you will pass through have a passport agent come on board to check all of the passports. Usually it takes them an hour or so to approve everyone.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The airline might give you trouble. I would check on the cruise air board.

We were getting ready to check in for an international flight a year ago and a family next to us was also attempting to do the same and one of their party had a passport that would expire in less than 6 months, and they were not allowed to check in. To be safe, I would do whatever I needed to do to get an updated passport and not have your trip ruined. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Cole

We were getting ready to check in for an international flight a year ago and a family next to us was also attempting to do the same and one of their party had a passport that would expire in less than 6 months, and they were not allowed to check in. To be safe, I would do whatever I needed to do to get an updated passport and not have your trip ruined. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Cole

I agree with Cole.....the worst thing that can happen is to show up for a trip and be refused boarding on the plane or boat because your passport expires less than 6 months from your return date or you don't have enough blank pages left. I renewed my passport 6 months before I was using it again because I only had 3 pages left and why risk the $15000 paid for the tour in order to save $140! What pp said makes sense... if something prevents you from leaving on time, you still have 4-6 months to become able to travel without causing an international incident! From a business point of view, I'm sure it's cheaper to print the travel instructions with 6 months that applies to everyone as opposed to making them trip specific, which results in multiple printings, which will result in US paying more for the trips and they cost enough as it is! :D

So , you all are saying even though the airline has all of my information and says when I view my flights that I am ready to go, that I should because 6 months is some sort of unwritten rule that I should at the last moment surrender a perfectly good passport to the expediting companies so that they can steal some few hundred dollars from me. I think we should just renew our 10 year passports annually just so we can always be safe. I think that following the actual laws is preferrable, but I maybe niave.....

Baaa.... baa... lost sheep.

jc

I agree with Cole.....the worst thing that can happen is to show up for a trip and be refused boarding on the plane or boat because your passport expires less than 6 months from your return date or you don't have enough blank pages left. I renewed my passport 6 months before I was using it again because I only had 3 pages left and why risk the $15000 paid for the tour in order to save $140! What pp said makes sense... if something prevents you from leaving on time, you still have 4-6 months to become able to travel without causing an international incident! From a business point of view, I'm sure it's cheaper to print the travel instructions with 6 months that applies to everyone as opposed to making them trip specific, which results in multiple printings, which will result in US paying more for the trips and they cost enough as it is! :D

Do you hang out so close that you know what is actually happening, maybe they were on the terrorist watch list...

Good grief, folks.. rules are rules, and I can not imagine that the cruise line is more important than the countries we are visiting...

Sorry so many countries have this particular rule (yes it's annoying) and it has become quite an issue just lately. The other issue that have come up lately is some countries have a requirement for a minimum of 6 blank pages remaining "after" their VISA is applied.

These crazy rules seemed to be applied differently and unevenly depending on the passport holders nationality. And to make it worse Admissions Officers in some countries don't seem to know their own countries rules (think TSA or IRS).

IMHO I vote for safe rather than sorry when dealing with idiots around the world. Especially when a good $20,000 is at risk, don't care how "correct" I am if I'm at the loosing end of some official who is full of his own importance.

OP hope your travels are smooth and you avoid the idiots as they really do walk among us!

PS this rule is not unwritten it's all over!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

I suspect that countries require 6 month extra time on US passports because US requires that amount of time on their citizens. Who knows, maybe soon we will need to go through an ESTA like process to travel to a whole bunch of countries that don't require us to have a visa. Imagine connecting in Europe for a multi country river cruise . . . 5,6 or more electronic visas.

There is also the possibility that a port may have to be changed. This does happen and can be a result of many scenarios. If the substituted port happened to be in a Country with the 6 month rule, there could be problems with your passport. I think the cruise line is erring on the side of caution so as to avoid any problems.

Since the difference is only 3 months, why not just renew your passports now and relax? They can be expedited and you will have them in no time.

Please post a review (no matter how short) of your cruise when you get back. We are thinking of taking an Avalon River Cruise. We have never taken a River Cruise and we would like to Fall 2015. Just not sure of which line, Avalon, Viking or AMA.

If you are applying for Global Entry, be aware that it is valid for five years from your next birthday, not the date you apply. For example, DH's birthday is in April, and mine is in July. We had our interviews for GE together in May. His is good until April, 2020. Mine expires in July, 2019. Have your interview as soon as possible after your birthday to get an extra year out of the $100 fee.

So , you all are saying even though the airline has all of my information and says when I view my flights that I am ready to go, that I should because 6 months is some sort of unwritten rule that I should at the last moment surrender a perfectly good passport to the expediting companies so that they can steal some few hundred dollars from me. I think we should just renew our 10 year passports annually just so we can always be safe. I think that following the actual laws is preferrable, but I maybe niave.....

Baaa.... baa... lost sheep.

jc

Hey no problem. Do what you want. If you get into trouble because your passport will expire too soon just don't come here to complain!

We are thinking of taking an Avalon River Cruise. We have never taken a River Cruise and we would like to Fall 2015. Just not sure of which line, Avalon, Viking or AMA.

Lilyrisemum! Don't wait too long to book that Sept 2015 River Cruise. DH and I are booked on Avalon amsterdam to budapest Sailing 9/11/2015 and our sailing is Sold Out. September is an extremely popular month and sells out fast. We booked early last February and even then cabins where mostly gone!

Do you hang out so close that you know what is actually happening, maybe they were on the terrorist watch list...

Good grief, folks.. rules are rules, and I can not imagine that the cruise line is more important than the countries we are visiting...

HUH????? ..bottom line: it's your trip and your money and you have the right to do whatever you choose....as long as you're willing to accept responsibility if it doesn't work. Good luck and I really do hope you have a great trip with no hassles.:D

The 6 month rule applies to about 50 countries (if this list is up to date)

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-rule/

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/countries-require-six-months-passport-validity-100788.html

Not visiting one of those 50 countries. Closest is Ukraine, and I am definitely not going to visit Chernoble or anywhere the Russians are trying to take over.:eek:

jc

I am pretty certain, I don't have a CC reputation for whining or complaining. My only point was I had done my due diligence with each and every country that I am visiting, and I verified well in advance. My gripe was that Avalon caused me undue stress by informing me of something that they agree is not true at relatively speaking the last minute. I am pretty certain which cities line the Danube River between Bucharest and Budapest and the chances of me be rerouted to a different country than is on the itinerary seems to me about as likely as being kidnapped by Martians.:D

I am just warning people that sometimes the cruise lines tell us cr*p that is just boiler-plate and not to be relied on.

I guess, I could be in trouble if my flight to Berlin or to Bucharest are rerouted to Kenya where my passport which will expire in 5 months 15 days will become an issue for me. Somehow I don't think this is a realistic worry.

jc

You are likely just fine and you did do your homework....

As a regular Regent cruiser I can also report that should I sail a Caribbean "closed loop" itinerary with them, it is the Cruiseline policy to REQUIRE ALL PASSENGERS to have a valid passport regardless of the U.S. Rules that say I don't need one to sail.

There is no arguing with them or the other Cruiselines who also have this requirement. They will deny you boarding!

So you see sometimes the Cruiseline or airline actually does have rules that are stricter than the actual guidelines.

Safe travels :)

The passport expires in approximately 5 months. A new passport will cost you about $ 13.50 a year for 10 years....and save you all the worries and discussions while on the vacation trip. To me, the decision is a no brainer. Time to renew the passport........:confused: