No Luck with Carnival for Alaska Cruise

missypriss19

We are looking into an Alaskan Cruise this summer. We usually book Carnival but the Spirit had no HC rooms that hold more that 2 people and we are a family of 3. So we would have to book another room at the double price for a single person. Do these companies realize that HC people have families also.

We can not cruise without a HC room since my DH is confined to WC and can not walk at all so booking another type of room is impossible.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

We are looking into an Alaskan Cruise this summer. We usually book Carnival but the Spirit had no HC rooms that hold more that 2 people and we are a family of 3. So we would have to book another room at the double price for a single person. Do these companies realize that HC people have families also.

We can not cruise without a HC room since my DH is confined to WC and can not walk at all so booking another type of room is impossible.

I know Disney has accessible inside staterooms that sleep 3--my husband, daughter and I all took their Alaska cruise last year, and will take it again this summer.

If you do go to Alaska, I would recommend booking the White Pass Railroad in Skagway on your own, and book for the later train. Then, if the ship is delayed (although it never was, on our trip), you'll still make the train, but if it's on time (as it almost always is), there is no charge to change your tickets to the earlier time. Walk to the station to check in--they make a big deal about the fact that you get to leave from the dock, but the reality is that the caboose is at the dock and the engine is at the station--it's the same train.

I don't think (not sure, but don't think) Disney books wheelchair passengers on the earliest train, so when we changed to the early train, it wasn't the case that only one passenger could ride with the person in the wheelchair--they put my whole family in the wheelchair car and we had it to ourselves.

This advice goes double if your third passenger is between the ages of 10 and 12. The White Pass will charge him or her as a child, and Disney will charge him or her as an adult.

I don't know if this will help, but when we did Alaska on Radiance of the Seas, our handicapped room was quite large (much larger than the one on Carnival Spirit last year). Both my friend and I used mobility scooters and we still had plenty of room.

Perhaps they could add a rollaway bed to the HC room?

We are a family of 3 also with a husband who can't walk at all. NCL Pearl has two aft mini-suites that are very large and sleep 3 people. We liked this cabin so much that we booked it 2 years in a row. The Pearl used to go to Alaska but I'm not sure if it still does. We have had the most luck booking cabins for 3 on NCL or RCCL. Princess also seems to have several. Carnival has very few cabins that sleep 3. We haven't had much luck on Holland America either.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in a HC suite on Carnival Liberty a couple years ago that was for 3 people which was very nice and spacious, but more expensive too. You might check into that option. We have had that same problem with regular handicapped rooms being too small for 3 people. I agree the cruise lines really need to have some regular HC rooms that are suited for at least 3 people.

Archived