worth to visit volcano Pacaya

Annika2900

Hi all,

we will be for one day docked in Puerto Quetzal in May 2011 on our cruise with the radiance of the Seas. I had in mind to organize a visit to the volcano Pacaya to see the lava flow and be so close as poosible to an active volcano.

During my researches in the Internet I read know a lot of ratings where people say, due to the last eruptions in May 2010 there is no more Lava flowing directly beside you, it is hidden under the pieces of rock and ashes. Can someone who made a tour after the last eruption to the volcano Pacaya what I can expect from the visit. Is it just grey rubble and dust or will we really feel the heat and and the power of an active volcano? We don´t fear the strenuousness to hike, we are used to hike here in the bavarian mountains a lot. I just want to be sure, that we will find what we expect, otherwise I wait for a better chance and visit something else in Guatemala.

Thanks a lot for every kind of advise :).

Best regards

Thekla

I went up in November. There were still spots where you can see lava and you can feel the heat everywhere. I stayed in Antigua for a few weeks and there were minor steam/ash ereuptions about every other day. It's still very active. I would recomend this trip for sure, wear good shoes, and spend some time in Antigua afterwards if the tour offers that. Have fun!

• 3 months later...
Hi all,

we will be for one day docked in Puerto Quetzal in May 2011 on our cruise with the radiance of the Seas. I had in mind to organize a visit to the volcano Pacaya to see the lava flow and be so close as poosible to an active volcano.

During my researches in the Internet I read know a lot of ratings where people say, due to the last eruptions in May 2010 there is no more Lava flowing directly beside you, it is hidden under the pieces of rock and ashes. Can someone who made a tour after the last eruption to the volcano Pacaya what I can expect from the visit. Is it just grey rubble and dust or will we really feel the heat and and the power of an active volcano? We don´t fear the strenuousness to hike, we are used to hike here in the bavarian mountains a lot. I just want to be sure, that we will find what we expect, otherwise I wait for a better chance and visit something else in Guatemala.

Thanks a lot for every kind of advise :).

Best regards

Thekla

Thinking of doing this, how about a report, what are your thoughts?

cruisinbob

I went on this tour last year with Go with Gus. We had a fabulous time. The walk is very challenging but you can rent a horse if you're not up to the climb. We made it all the way and felt great. Once at the top we saw lava flowing that was nothing short of amazing.

When we came down we were treated to a wonderful lunch of chicken or fish cooked by some local ladies..YUM! Sodas and water was also included and I purchased a couple of cold beers to have with lunch

The Go with Gus guides were very professional and went out of their way to accomodate our group. We onlty had 12 on the bus and IMHO this is the only way to take a tour.

Things you need to know:

Wear long pants - lava rock is very sharp and if you slip you will be cut or scraped

If you have a pair of gardening gloves thorw then in your suitcase

You will need sunscreen and a hat.

You'll need your camera

This trip is well worth the time and money and Go with Gus was great!

I went on this tour last year with Go with Gus. We had a fabulous time. The walk is very challenging but you can rent a horse if you're not up to the climb. We made it all the way and felt great. Once at the top we saw lava flowing that was nothing short of amazing.

When we came down we were treated to a wonderful lunch of chicken or fish cooked by some local ladies..YUM! Sodas and water was also included and I purchased a couple of cold beers to have with lunch

The Go with Gus guides were very professional and went out of their way to accomodate our group. We onlty had 12 on the bus and IMHO this is the only way to take a tour.

Things you need to know:

Wear long pants - lava rock is very sharp and if you slip you will be cut or scraped

If you have a pair of gardening gloves thorw then in your suitcase

You will need sunscreen and a hat.

You'll need your camera

This trip is well worth the time and money and Go with Gus was great!

Thanks, good report, what time of the yr did u go? was it chilly on the top/

Thanks

'cruisinbob

Hi Thekla,

Paleotrekker here.. I did the Pacaya and the Colonial Antigua tours with Go With Gus Tours in 2010.. I try to use their services each time I visit Guatemala.. find them very knowledgeable, friendly and very good company.. for the exact situation with the lava and viewing conditions at Pacaya volcano I recommend its better to contact Go With Gus and get more current information concerning what the volcano is doing these days..

Hope this helps you and that you have as much fun as I did,

"Sea you around".. Paleotrekker

Archived