Advice for a millenial

evilkitten

I've decided to do a European river cruise for my honeymoon - it seems to be a no-brainer due to the convenience and cost for all that you get to experience. However, I've been warned by many of my older coworkers and family friends that have gone on Viking ships that we'll be by far the youngest people and that, in their 50's, they felt too young. I don't mind being around an older crowd; I've been on around 20 ocean cruises and I'm not looking for that kind of nightclub/hook up atmosphere. I'm am concerned, however, that as night owls, we'll be bored at night when everyone's asleep or the ships will all leave port too early to go out at night.

As I patiently wait for reviews or photos or SOMETHING on the inaugural U by Uniworld trips (they don't even have photos on their instagram or twitter accounts??) are their other ships, times of the year, and/or itineraries I should be focusing on? Are the European lines younger?

Ama has a number of active cruises that include things like hiking and cycling and are aimed at a younger crowd.

If you are really active and into cycling, Backroads cycling has tours on Ama ships (you register through Backroads) as does Trek Travels (on Scenic; you register through Trek).

In terms of evening, I think you need to wait for more from U from Uniworld; most river cruises depart in the evening for the next place.

Hello evilkitten,

for a honeymoon, to be honest, I would not chose a river cruise, but you appear to have settled on this, so here are my thoughts. Your coworkers have given you good advice, I think. Perhaps they only know Viking and then they are right about the demographics. Viking has stated they do not address a young crowd and that line would not be a good choice for you. Other lines have gone towards a more "active experience" type of cruise itinerary, as gnome12 has mentioned, with cycling and hiking, for example. But you can also have dancing lessons on Avalon, etc.

For night owls there is generally the problem that the lines leave the ports for sailing at night. You will need to look closely at the itineraries and possibly do some phoning around with the lines themselves to find out specific times in ports. There are evening excursions on some lines in the large ports like Cologne, Vienna and Budapest. For a honeymoon, I would choose the itinerary Paris to Switzerland, if you are not to bothered about the night owl thing. I cannot really say why. Just an idea, apart from the fact that they call Paris the "City of Love", of course. Not my favourite city in Europe at all but certainly worth a visit when in Europe. You could always have a pre-cruise stay with evening entertainment in Paris and then romantic sailing on the Moselle with more relaxing evenings on the ship. You do not have to go to bed when everyone else does. On that route you can use the sundeck almost all the time and sit on it with a cocktail admiring the night skies. Something you cannot do on all routes due to closure where low bridges are.

For the European lines I can say that CroisiEurope (French company) has always made it their policy to appeal to any age group and the itineraries sometimes reflect this but I cannot say if you will be happier with them being a night owl. Arosa (German company) have active cruises and tend to draw younger crowds, they also have family itineraries, but have no itineraries for the young and active 20's to 30's as such. They both have online brochures for the English-speaking market.

Perhaps a good agent can help you further and I think it is a good idea to see what U by Uniworld will be like. It sounds promising.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

I would go with U by Uniworld. They plan to stay in port every night, and they will have a lounge atmosphere on the top deck rather than a sun deck. You're not going to see any reviews soon though...their first trip isn't until May 2018. But they're a very experienced company, so I'd be shocked if they didn't deliver the product as advertised. Check out www.ubyuniworld.com for more information and available itineraries. In my opinion, the pricing is very attractive.

I'm 34 and have been on two river cruises, with the third scheduled for July. I'm not a night owl, and by the time we finish dinner around 9:00 I'm ready for bed in an hour or two, so the pacing of the traditional lines has worked for me.

Certain itineraries have overnights or late nights in ports. But each cruise line has a unique schedule. I recall our Rhine Basel to Amsterdam on Avalon had a late night in Rudesheim, arrived late for an overnight in Cologne, had an overnight in Amsterdam and an overnight in another small city I can't recall the name but we got off the ship to watch soccer match in a biergarten.

Another thing to keep in mind is that river cruises have a set schedule which begin early in the morning. If you are not an early morning person then river cruising is not for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've decided to do a European river cruise for my honeymoon - it seems to be a no-brainer due to the convenience and cost for all that you get to experience. However, I've been warned by many of my older coworkers and family friends that have gone on Viking ships that we'll be by far the youngest people and that, in their 50's, they felt too young. I don't mind being around an older crowd; I've been on around 20 ocean cruises and I'm not looking for that kind of nightclub/hook up atmosphere. I'm am concerned, however, that as night owls, we'll be bored at night when everyone's asleep or the ships will all leave port too early to go out at night.

Well...everyone is different obviously, but I think a river cruise sounds like a wonderful honeymoon! :hearteyes:

We are in our 40's and took our first river cruise (Viking) this past fall - we didn't find the age situation to be a problem. We met some really fantastic people. To each their own.

I agree that you'll need to look at the itineraries and figure out which one will work best for you in terms of leaving the ship at night. My husband and I went out a few nights (after dinner on the ship) - into the town where we were docked (provided we weren't sailing that night, obviously, or not sailing until much later). We had a great time doing that...our cruise was a wonderful combination of scheduled activities (included tours, most meals etc) and going off on our own, and doing our own thing. We also extended our trip before, and after, the cruise. So you can really tailor your trip to your tastes.

We did reserve a larger room - we had a balcony and separate sitting area (separated by a pocket door). My husband always stays up late and reads, works on his computer, watches TV etc So this worked out great for us - he could close the door and do his own thing and not disturb me.

I would go with U by Uniworld. They plan to stay in port every night, and they will have a lounge atmosphere on the top deck rather than a sun deck. You're not going to see any reviews soon though...their first trip isn't until May 2018. But they're a very experienced company, so I'd be shocked if they didn't deliver the product as advertised. Check out www.ubyuniworld.com for more information and available itineraries. In my opinion, the pricing is very attractive.

I'm 34 and have been on two river cruises, with the third scheduled for July. I'm not a night owl, and by the time we finish dinner around 9:00 I'm ready for bed in an hour or two, so the pacing of the traditional lines has worked for me.

Oh man, didn't know it was that far out. I'm planning next for year, but I didn't want to be a guinea pig. I probably will go that route though.

Is there anything that will surprise or disappoint an English-only speaking American on CroisiEurope or Arosa? Like, will the Europeans look down on us?

The Germans will not look down on you, but don't count on the older generation speaking conversational English. They will probably keep to themselves and feel sorry for the youngsters. Young Germans will likely be on AIDA ocean cruise ships known for their lively party and dance evenings. Others do bike tours, go windsurfing, sailing, backpacking, or go to diving resorts etc.

I have sailed on 2 river cruises in Asia and I think it is not a good option for young and active people who want to dance at night and sleep in. It's basically a very comfortable bus tour without the bus (usually) and with the hotel room going with you. At my age, that sounds wonderful. I wake up very early ready to go on a tour and start fading in the evening.

Our 3 day Yangtze river cruise ship had an evening program geared towards her younger passengers. The few younger passengers were Chinese. The Mekong cruise did not have an active evening program: a concert, a folklore dance group, tour guides speaking about their country. I don't know what the three young passengers on our cruise did after dinner. Maybe it was their break between two active land tours.

On our Uniworld Castles of the Rhine, the ages were 28 - 94 with the majority in their 60's. But, I will say, the ship went to bed pretty early each night as we were all worn out from touring all day. Entertainment was a combo in the lounge and that was about it except for one afternoon when they brought a local opera singer onboard. I don't think anyone ever used the movie theater onboard nor the pool or tiny gym.

The other thing, we all sat together at large tables at dinner - there were no tables for 2 and the whole experience is completely pre-programmed where you are up early everyday and getting on a tour bus right after breakfast. So do think carefully if this is the kind of experience you want for your honeymoon. While we enjoyed our Uniworld cruise a great deal, it would not be my idea of a romantic honeymoon at all. But everyone has different ideas about what they want for a honeymoon. I wonder if you wouldn't prefer hotel barge cruising instead.

http://www.frenchcanalconnection.com/hotel-barge/?gclid=CNuRiZTSptMCFUUcaQodrX8KKA

Edited by SuiteTraveler

On our Uniworld Castles of the Rhine, the ages were 28 - 94 with the majority in their 60's. But, I will say, the ship went to bed pretty early each night as we were all worn out from touring all day. Entertainment was a combo in the lounge and that was about it except for one afternoon when they brought a local opera singer onboard. I don't think anyone ever used the movie theater onboard nor the pool or tiny gym.

The other thing, we all sat together at large tables at dinner - there were no tables for 2 and the whole experience is completely pre-programmed where you are up early everyday and getting on a tour bus right after breakfast. So do think carefully if this is the kind of experience you want for your honeymoon. While we enjoyed our Uniworld cruise a great deal, it would not be my idea of a romantic honeymoon at all. But everyone has different ideas about what they want for a honeymoon. I wonder if you wouldn't prefer hotel barge cruising instead.

http://www.frenchcanalconnection.com/hotel-barge/?gclid=CNuRiZTSptMCFUUcaQodrX8KKA

We have been on two uniworld cruises. Yes the demographic is older. But I would disagree with a couple of other observations.

In both cruises there were multiple tables for two. You have a choice of sitting with others or eating alone.

I also have heard so much about river cruises being "pre-programmed". Yes the tour bus is waiting for you if you want it. But in several ports we made our own arrangements. Next week we will be in paris (a city we have visited several times). But we have arranged our own trip to Reims. Nothing says you have to stick to the regimen.

And uniworld has bikes on board and in many ports a guide will go out with a group.

If the itinerary is something you want - go for it. The service is wonderful, the accommodations are beautiful and the food is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am quite a bit older than you but took my first River Cruise last year (I sail solo so no honeymoon involved;p)....anyway,

as others have mentioned, you might want to check an itinerary that stays in port overnight if you want "late nightlife".

I know our cruise had some entertainment on board which I really enjoyed but as for "late night".......after touring all day,

a delicious dinner and some nice music, I was ready for bed. I LOVED my river cruise and am trying to decide which

one to take next year for a BIG Birthday:D

Wishing you all good things in your new life together:)

Oh man, didn't know it was that far out. I'm planning next for year, but I didn't want to be a guinea pig. I probably will go that route though.

Is there anything that will surprise or disappoint an English-only speaking American on CroisiEurope or Arosa? Like, will the Europeans look down on us?

As a previous poster has said, "only if you are very short". You might get an odd look if you wear a baseball cap and ask a German in a loud voice where the next baseball pitch is... But when as a happy young couple you smile at your fellow cruisers and tell them you are on honeymoon I am sure you will melt everyone's heart. :)

It is just that while many Germans and French speak English very well some of the older generation (and a few young people) never have the occasion to practice English and they might understand you but cannot answer meaning you cannot have a conversation. A few have indeed never learnt English.

The cruises in question both on CroisiEurope and ARosa are marked in their European brochures as being open to international guests so people know in advance that the cruises will be bi-lingual. If you feel you need to have at least a few North-American travelers with you you can always ask the company or your travel agent if other bookings have been made in the US or if you are the only ones. And do mention when you book that you are celebrating your honeymoon. The company might surprise you with something. :)

I like suitetravelers idea of hotel barge cruising, yet those barges do not use the large river in general, making the ports quite different from the large cruise ships' itineraries.

notamermaid

Hi Evilkitten, what a wonderful idea for a honeymoon. Have a look at Emerald Waterways they are fairly new, sister company to Scenic but not so inclusive and therefore not quite so costly, they aim at a younger demografic. You'll find that a lot of Europeans want to practice their English so no worries there especially if you learn a few phrases e.g. pleases and thank you's. You'll only get well wishes from your cruise companions and I bet the crew will be tickled pink. Have a great cruise whoever you choose. CA

We honeymooned last year on Viking (at 28 and 32, respectively). We were definitely on the younger side, but had a fabulous time. While there isn't booming "nightlife" per se, we spent a couple of nights dancing and enjoying live music in the lounge with a handful of passengers well past midnight. We aren't night owls, though, and the morning excursion call times usually had us in bed not long after dinner, as others mentioned.

I went on the Viking Jarl down the Rhine for my honeymoon when I was 29. It was AMAZING! In fact, I am going on a Royal Caribbean Europe cruise and I'm already missing the included alcohol, amazing food, small boat size, and included excursions that Viking offers.

We were the youngest on the ship, but it was not a problem. The captain and piano man actually stayed up late with us one night. They were all great! We asked our waitress where they would recommend going out to at one of the ports and it was a cool bar.

DO IT! You will LOVE it!

I would say the average age was 60 - 70 with a bunch of 50's and a couple of 40 somethings. But this is a very active group.... until about 9:30ish [emoji6][emoji42][emoji42]

Ayup! We want to be ready to go load up on breakfast about 7ish. :cool: ;p