Hello from Voyager of the Seas

We are in Latouka, Fiji today. Both DH (Rob) and I are thoroughly enjoying our cruise on VOS, our first on RCI. This is just a quick overview of our cruise so far.

The food has been fabulous. Really enjoying both the dining room for dinner and Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. We had dinner at Chops Grille last night to celebrate our anniversary. It was an amazing meal.

The crew have been efficient and always have a smile for us.

Our steward has been great and our waiters equally so.

I will do a more comprehensive review once we have returned home.

Leigh

Hi there, we are on her in three weeks, any tips you can give us. Are the drinks really expensive and is there 18% on top as well,, thanks.

On Australian cruises, the tip is included in the drink price. So price you see is the price charged.

Hi there, we are on her in three weeks, any tips you can give us. Are the drinks really expensive and is there 18% on top as well,, thanks.

I think the drinks are expensive compared to Australian prices. Fortunately we are not big drinkers. The 18% is included in the drink price as The_Big_M said in his reply to you. We had a few glasses of wine, the cheapest was $13, Coronas were $7.75, 375ml cans of coke were $3.50, 600ml bottles of water were $2.25. Cocktail of the day was $9.50 which was the best value for cocktails.

We had a coffee card which was probably worth it for us, although I thought the coffee was horrible. The one and only latte I had was not like any other I had tasted and even the iced coffee was dreadful! We used it mainly for iced chocolate and hot chocolate. But of course taste is relative.

One of our dinner companions had a drink package as she enjoys a few glasses of wine each day, perhaps a cocktail pre dinner, coffee and bottles of water which are included. Her husband, who only drinks beer did not bother.

As far as dining goes, choose what is best for you, whether it be in the dining room each day or in the Windjammer buffet.

Don't miss the ice skating shows, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Have a wonderful, relaxing cruise and don't go with high expectations of what to expect. Relax and enjoy!

Leigh

Great to hear, hope you have good weather for the remainder of your cruise.

Thanks Mic, the weather was not good for about 15-20 hours as we hit some big swells between Noumea and Sydney. Quite a few people I heard were unwell (including myself!) during that time. I guess it was the remnants of Debbie which went on to NZ.

Other than that, perfect weather for the majority of the cruise.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, we enjoyed our cruises on the Voyager and Explorer, glad you had a good time too!

We are back on the Explorer next March, were those drink prices in USD?

Did they still have the 3 restaurant discount?

Thanks Mic, the weather was not good for about 15-20 hours as we hit some big swells between Noumea and Sydney. Quite a few people I heard were unwell (including myself!) during that time. I guess it was the remnants of Debbie which went on to NZ.

Other than that, perfect weather for the majority of the cruise.

Leigh

Welcome back, glad you had a great time despite the rough ride home.

We returned home to Melbourne yesterday after our cruise on the Voyager of The Seas. It was our first cruise with RCI and were not sure what to expect but we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and VOS. I think the ship was close to full capacity with a wide variety of ages and nationalities onboard. There were many families on the cruise and except for a couple of children running through the Windjammer and around the pool area, and pushing in front of others into the lifts, they were well behaved. Of course there were a few rude and inconsiderate adults particularly around the lifts but overall people were considerate of those around them.

Our embarkation was quite quick although we were held up in the migration/customs area evidently (according to a staff member who was checking cards) because of the large number of cruisers who didn’t complete their green cards correctly or not at all!

We ended up not trying to board too much earlier before our suggested time of 3pm as we met up with family, who were also in Sydney for a cruise a few days later, for lunch. We walked around to the OPT around 2pm and were ushered through. We had dropped off our suitcases about 10.30am.

Our muster station was on deck four outside starboard side and it was very hot standing in the sun for 30 mins, although it did seem to go smoothly.

We dined every evening in the dining room (My Time) except for our anniversary dinner in Chops Grille. We enjoyed our meals there and had the same time and table each evening. We had the same dinner companions most evenings - we were all on tables for two but as they are so close together you seem to be all dining together. Our waiters were great, always a smile on their faces and happy to help us. We enjoyed our evening meals, my only complaint was lack of different vegetables. I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of dishes each night as I had read some negative reports before sailing.

Breakfast we tended to eat at the Windjammer, we tried the dining room on one occasion and I had breakfast at the Promenade Café one morning. Lunch was also at the Windjammer which we found suited our tastes - soup and salad usually. We did go to Johnny Rockets once for a late lunch after being onshore. It was ok and plenty of food, really too much! The burgers were like most other burgers but we both loved the onion rings. Needless to say we didn’t have dessert!

I have touched on the cost of drinks in another post so will not mention more.

We thought the shopping onboard quite ordinary, although did buy a bag for my daughter’s birthday and gifts for grandchildren. There was not much variety at all.

We do not usually attend the shows but I did go to the two skating shows. Fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed them both. The band who played on pool deck was quite good as was Kieron who played at the Pint and Pickle pub.

The Dreamworks characters were quite popular with families and we even have a photo of DH with Princess Fiona (of Shrek fame).

Ports - our first call was at Isle of Pines which we have been to before. DH snorkelled and I sat and enjoyed the view. It soon became very crowded so we headed back to the ship after a couple of hours.

We then sailed onto Lautoka, Fiji. This was our first time there and we decided to take a ship’s tour to Nadi which included a visit to South Sea Orchid Garden, a most beautiful place where the wife of the owner has set up a co-op to encourage the local Fijian women to become more independent. A lovely lady who welcomed us into her home.

We then went onto Nadi and were dropped at Jack’s of Fiji for some shopping before then stopping at a Fijian village on the way back to Lautoka. The villagers sang and danced for us and the kava ceremony was held - they are such beautiful, gentle people. There was a market set up on the dock beside the ship with the usual trinkets and clothing.

Next stop was Mystery Isand - absolutely beautiful beaches and the colour of the water was amazing. We enjoyed a couple of hours snorkelling and enjoying the beach after DH did the glass bottom boat tour. He was a little disappointed as it was a bit choppy and not eay to see the sea life. He was much happier when snorkelling as the fish were coming to him! He managed to take some quite good photos.

Once again it became very crowded and we headed back to the ship. A beautiful island and would love to go back, perhaps on a smaller ship so there are not as many people onshore at once.

Noumea was our last port of call where we docked at the container port. We have been there twice previously and decided to do a ship tour of Noumea and surrounding area. I was disappointed with the guide whom we have had before, he was quite self indulgent in some of his commentary. Out of a three hour tour we spent fifty minutes at a hotel having refreshments which I felt was far too long.

Our cabin - balcony on deck 6. The cabin was big enough for the two of us and I loved the shower door! So much better than a shower curtain. We were well looked after by our steward. I thought the bed was slightly hard but became used to it and slept quite well.

Overall, a very enjoyable cruise. Would we go on RCI again? Probably if the itinerary was what we were after and of course if the cost was right!

Leigh

Thanks chezandy,

Yes the drink prices I mentioned were USD. Yes they had the three restaurant discount and even up to five on the cruise planner before you sail. There was also a first night discount price of US$19 per person.

Hope you enjoy your cruise on Explorer.

Leigh

Thanks Mic, always nice to be home but then the pull of the sea comes back. I love cruising even if I do suffer from sea sickness.

Leigh

That is dedication! Do you always cruise in the middle of the ship, low down, cabin?

I had a friend who used to end up in hospital on a drip, from sea sickness, who I convinced to try cruising one more time, staying in a cabin, as above. She didn't get sea sick for the first time and has cruised since.

That is dedication! Do you always cruise in the middle of the ship, low down, cabin?

I had a friend who used to end up in hospital on a drip, from sea sickness, who I convinced to try cruising one more time, staying in a cabin, as above. She didn't get sea sick for the first time and has cruised since.

Hi Marion,

Yes, we had a balcony cabin on deck 6 midship. Our previous cruise on Diamond Princess we were on deck 10 and no sea sickness although the seas were very kind to us. Once I start to feel unwell, I go to bed and sleep it off. Usually helps and I also eat a green apple which was recommended for sea sickness. We take a Avomine tab each night as well.

Leigh

Hi Marion,

Yes, we had a balcony cabin on deck 6 midship. Our previous cruise on Diamond Princess we were on deck 10 and no sea sickness although the seas were very kind to us. Once I start to feel unwell, I go to bed and sleep it off. Usually helps and I also eat a green apple which was recommended for sea sickness. We take a Avomine tab each night as well.

Leigh

Looks like you are well prepared, Leigh. Yes, I knew about eating a green apple. I always take crystallised ginger and ginger cordial with me.

Thanks for your review. I have been trying to decide whether a non-alcoholic drinks package was worth purchasing. Do you know the price of the mocktails been sold on Voyager.

Ladybird1292,

Sorry I don't know the cost of the mocktails, I don't dink them as they are too sweet for me. Someone else may be able to help though. I think you have to look at how many drinks you would have each day and work from that if any drinks package is worth purchasing. I would suggest you ask the question on the Royal Caribbean board.

Leigh

Sounds like you where in Noumea on a Sunday. Most tour guides try & extended it out as most places are closed. I was lucky got there 2 days later & had wonderful day on Duck Island. 2 days later there was Taxi Boat accident & 4 days after being there cyclone hit.. Glad you enjoyed RCL VOS.

We returned home to Melbourne yesterday after our cruise on the Voyager of The Seas. It was our first cruise with RCI and were not sure what to expect but we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and VOS. I think the ship was close to full capacity with a wide variety of ages and nationalities onboard. There were many families on the cruise and except for a couple of children running through the Windjammer and around the pool area, and pushing in front of others into the lifts, they were well behaved. Of course there were a few rude and inconsiderate adults particularly around the lifts but overall people were considerate of those around them.

Our embarkation was quite quick although we were held up in the migration/customs area evidently (according to a staff member who was checking cards) because of the large number of cruisers who didn’t complete their green cards correctly or not at all!

We ended up not trying to board too much earlier before our suggested time of 3pm as we met up with family, who were also in Sydney for a cruise a few days later, for lunch. We walked around to the OPT around 2pm and were ushered through. We had dropped off our suitcases about 10.30am.

Our muster station was on deck four outside starboard side and it was very hot standing in the sun for 30 mins, although it did seem to go smoothly.

We dined every evening in the dining room (My Time) except for our anniversary dinner in Chops Grille. We enjoyed our meals there and had the same time and table each evening. We had the same dinner companions most evenings - we were all on tables for two but as they are so close together you seem to be all dining together. Our waiters were great, always a smile on their faces and happy to help us. We enjoyed our evening meals, my only complaint was lack of different vegetables. I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of dishes each night as I had read some negative reports before sailing.

Breakfast we tended to eat at the Windjammer, we tried the dining room on one occasion and I had breakfast at the Promenade Café one morning. Lunch was also at the Windjammer which we found suited our tastes - soup and salad usually. We did go to Johnny Rockets once for a late lunch after being onshore. It was ok and plenty of food, really too much! The burgers were like most other burgers but we both loved the onion rings. Needless to say we didn’t have dessert!

I have touched on the cost of drinks in another post so will not mention more.

We thought the shopping onboard quite ordinary, although did buy a bag for my daughter’s birthday and gifts for grandchildren. There was not much variety at all.

We do not usually attend the shows but I did go to the two skating shows. Fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed them both. The band who played on pool deck was quite good as was Kieron who played at the Pint and Pickle pub.

The Dreamworks characters were quite popular with families and we even have a photo of DH with Princess Fiona (of Shrek fame).

Ports - our first call was at Isle of Pines which we have been to before. DH snorkelled and I sat and enjoyed the view. It soon became very crowded so we headed back to the ship after a couple of hours.

We then sailed onto Lautoka, Fiji. This was our first time there and we decided to take a ship’s tour to Nadi which included a visit to South Sea Orchid Garden, a most beautiful place where the wife of the owner has set up a co-op to encourage the local Fijian women to become more independent. A lovely lady who welcomed us into her home.

We then went onto Nadi and were dropped at Jack’s of Fiji for some shopping before then stopping at a Fijian village on the way back to Lautoka. The villagers sang and danced for us and the kava ceremony was held - they are such beautiful, gentle people. There was a market set up on the dock beside the ship with the usual trinkets and clothing.

Next stop was Mystery Isand - absolutely beautiful beaches and the colour of the water was amazing. We enjoyed a couple of hours snorkelling and enjoying the beach after DH did the glass bottom boat tour. He was a little disappointed as it was a bit choppy and not eay to see the sea life. He was much happier when snorkelling as the fish were coming to him! He managed to take some quite good photos.

Once again it became very crowded and we headed back to the ship. A beautiful island and would love to go back, perhaps on a smaller ship so there are not as many people onshore at once.

Noumea was our last port of call where we docked at the container port. We have been there twice previously and decided to do a ship tour of Noumea and surrounding area. I was disappointed with the guide whom we have had before, he was quite self indulgent in some of his commentary. Out of a three hour tour we spent fifty minutes at a hotel having refreshments which I felt was far too long.

Our cabin - balcony on deck 6. The cabin was big enough for the two of us and I loved the shower door! So much better than a shower curtain. We were well looked after by our steward. I thought the bed was slightly hard but became used to it and slept quite well.

Overall, a very enjoyable cruise. Would we go on RCI again? Probably if the itinerary was what we were after and of course if the cost was right!

Leigh

Sounds like you where in Noumea on a Sunday. Most tour guides try & extended it out as most places are closed. I was lucky got there 2 days later & had wonderful day on Duck Island. 2 days later there was Taxi Boat accident & 4 days after being there cyclone hit.. Glad you enjoyed RCL VOS.

Thanks Hunter69, we did enjoy VOS. No, we were in Noumea on a Monday and as I said we have had the same guide before and I think he actually seemed bored this time.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

Just saw this thread, thought I would stop by and extend my best wishes that you had a great cruise! I sort of agree with you--Royal is Ok and we would do them again, for the right itinerary and price.

Cheers

ML

Hi Leigh

Just saw this thread, thought I would stop by and extend my best wishes that you had a great cruise! I sort of agree with you--Royal is Ok and we would do them again, for the right itinerary and price.

Cheers

ML

Thank you ML.

To be honest, I haven't found much difference in the three cruise lines we have tried. We had great crew, cabins were fine and food was better than ok. There were certain parts of each ship I preferred but overall, we have enjoyed our cruises and hope there will be more.

Leigh

Thank you ML.

To be honest, I haven't found much difference in the three cruise lines we have tried. We had great crew, cabins were fine and food was better than ok. There were certain parts of each ship I preferred but overall, we have enjoyed our cruises and hope there will be more.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

I think that's a good way to put it--not much difference, some parts are better on each. For us, Royal was Ok but we won't rush to use them again, unless they have a great itinerary. Maybe it was just our cruise, but I got tired of staff turning their backs on us at Park cafe and some bars. It seemed rude to me, but maybe not. Cabin steward was fine (I would never do what they do but he was sometimes verrrry sloooow to clean our cabin out in the morning). To be honest, all we needed was new towels, but he did the full service. Just seemed very late once or twice. We both agreed they were the worst of the lines we have sailed, but not horrible, just different.

I am still having feelings of being onboard, even after 10 days off the ship. Balance is just starting to come back now, I hate that part of cruising. At least I have adjusted to the time change back home and the altitude, but I am always sleepy :D My solution has been to get back into golf--took a lesson, practiced at the range and in the backyard, and 2 tournaments next week. All is well! Although, I do miss other people cooking and cleaning ;)

And the cruises have inspired us to take an extra camping trip this summer (all that outdoor hiking, snorkeling and fresh clean air!), so that is something else to look forward to. Won't be the same as the GBR, or Hunter Valley wineries, or anywhere in NZ, but still fun.

Hope you recover quickly and book your next trip soon,

ML