Re-filling water bottles at Horizon Court on Royal Princess !!!

Reina del Mar

Just returned from a cruise on Royal Princess.

Rather concerned to find passengers re filling water bottles directly from water fountains at Horizon Court.

Happy to drink ship's water and for those who wish to re fill bottles to do so, but really think there should be signs instructing passengers to fill a clean cup and decant water to their own bottle, instead of this unhygienic practice !!!! :evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

No signs and didn't see anyone alerted from doing this.

What do you think ????

Rather concerned to find passengers re filling water bottles directly from water fountains at Horizon Court.

Happy to drink ship's water and for those who wish to re fill bottles to do so, but really think there should be signs instructing passengers to fill a clean cup and decant water to their own bottle, instead of this unhygienic practice !!!! :evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

What do you think ????

Since the Royal cruises out of the US part of the year, I'm surprised there is no signage, as this is a USPH violation not to have signage to this effect. In Europe, the ship fall under the EU ShipSan program, which while similar is not as comprehensive as the USPH VSP, and I see no mention of refilling beverage containers.

What do you think ????

There is a reason why there is no sign because inconsiderate people would always ignore it or feel the rule doesn't apply to them.

I've seen the signs but people don't usually pay much attention to them.

Actually with the guard they have on the dispensers it's difficult have the dispenser come in touch with your bottle. (unless you really try)

The dispenser spout is only one part of the possible cross-contamination. Most of these dispensers use a "push bar" to activate, where the glass is used to press a lever to open the valve. Parts of a used glass that had come in contact with a person's mouth or hands, will touch the push bar, and transfer any germs to the next glass that touches the push bar. This is why RCI, for one example, has gone to "touchless" dispensers, like their freestyle machines, where you must press a button to dispense, not use the glass to touch anything. These machines, whether soda or water, are exempt from the ban on reusing glassware.

The dispenser spout is only one part of the possible cross-contamination. Most of these dispensers use a "push bar" to activate, where the glass is used to press a lever to open the valve. Parts of a used glass that had come in contact with a person's mouth or hands, will touch the push bar, and transfer any germs to the next glass that touches the push bar. This is why RCI, for one example, has gone to "touchless" dispensers, like their freestyle machines, where you must press a button to dispense, not use the glass to touch anything. These machines, whether soda or water, are exempt from the ban on reusing glassware.

I believe Princess has mostly push buttons on their dispensers.

I travel with a small bottle of dish soap and my refillable water bottle is washed out with the soap and hot water between refills (breakfast and lunch time).

The staff in the Horizon Court will usually take my bottle and refill it for me directly at the water dispenser (same thing has happened on RCCL and HAL).

Hi,there is a sign on all the Princess ships,but I ignore it.I dont see a problem,my bottle doesnt touch the nozzle.I think public drinking fountains at various cities around the world present more of a risk.I know im going to get flamed but I think there are too many fussy people out there,cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

What do you think ????

I agree.........

I have seen signs in the past but it does not do any good.

There are always those that don't give a *&^%.

Same ones that use the toilets and walk out without washing their hands and head into the buffet.

It is disgusting.

Remember it is MY cruise.

There are refill station all over airports these days. They are push button systems like those on Princess. I think the risk of contimination not that high. Reusable water bottles have a lid with a mouth piece or straw that's no where near that spout on the dispenser.

I agree.........

Same ones that use the toilets and walk out without washing their hands and head into the buffet.

It is disgusting.

You cant tar me with that brush.I always carry out correct hygene in the toilet.These are 2 different things entirely,one is a serious contamination risk, the other,a germophobes paranoia.

Hi,there is a sign on all the Princess ships,but I ignore it.I dont see a problem,my bottle doesnt touch the nozzle.I think public drinking fountains at various cities around the world present more of a risk.I know im going to get flamed but I think there are too many fussy people out there,cheers,Brian.

While you don't think it's much of a problem, the regulation is set by the USPH/CDC, not the cruise line, and these folks are world renowned experts in contagious diseases and epidemiology, and if they feel it is a potential contamination source, I'll go along with the experts.

I agree.........

It is disgusting.

As do I.....:):):)

Bob

What do you think ????

The past two years on the Regal there have been signs about not refilling water bottles. I always us a clean glass to dispense the water then pour that into my bottles. The dispenser is push button. As others have mentioned, I have to wonder though about people refilling their used drink glasses...not all passengers set the cup down and push the button, some hold it up to the dispenser

Since this topic has been expanded to include hand washing and Horizon Court, I'll add my pet peeve:

People in the buffet line who pick up food from their plate with their fingers to taste and then handle serving tongs. They transfer germs from their lips to the tongs to be picked up by the next person using those tongs. Gross!

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

The fact is that airports, universities and public buildings have installed or are installing water bottle refill stations. Refilling directly into bottles without using any intermediary vessel is quickly becoming the norm. It is what people are or will be familiar with. This behavior isn't going away. Instead it will become more prevalent. We just have to deal with it.

According to some, then every fast food restaurant that allows consumers to fill their glass is unhealthy. Here is what the state of California says: e) Personal take-out beverage containers, such as thermally insulated bottles, non spill coffee cups, and promotional beverage glasses, may be refilled by employees or the consumer if refilling is a contamination-free process as specified in subdivision (a

(a) Except for refilling a consumer's drinking cup or container without contact between the pouring utensil and the lip-contact area of the drinking cup or container, food employees shall not use tableware, including single-use articles, soiled by the consumer, to provide second portions or refills

Since typically the portion of the water bottle that the lips touch is not what touches the nozzle, I would be more worried about a glass being refilled.

Edited by alolewis
some information duplicated