Wheelchair entry for The Vatican

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:15 AM.
#21
Tampa, FL
723 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Kelv,
I couldn't figure the link to get free tickets for Colloseum either. But I saw all the language that it only applied to EU (or UE on website), so I am just going to plan on paying.

When you come back, you you please post if the elevator is working in Colloseum since it is my understanding that you can only go on second floor in wheelchair?

I will probably purchase Vatican tickets also since I know the Vatican museum will be accessible and I don't want to take the chance that it is for EU residents only even if they tell me otherwise. Time is short in Rome.

Thanks and have a great trip!
#22
New England, USA
257 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by katrina915
Kelv,
If you keep clicking through the website link that you posted, you come to this where it indicates that EU disabled and companion get in free so that is what I expect you will hear.

http://www.coopculture.it/en/heritage.cfm?id=2#

To add to the confusion for me, the ticket place just responded via email that disabled and one other even if NON EU could get in free. I am going in Nov so I will take my chance of getting in free. I think you still need to purchase "free" ticket online though.

I would be interested to hear from you if you thought the Vatican guide was worth it. I am hearing that disabled pathways/access is challenging to find on your own and can change. If you are going to St. Peters, I would also be curious if you wait in same security line as everyone else. We are going to be in Rome on Wed (which is papal audience day) so that adds more challenge for us.

Thanks for all info!!!
When we took our 2 day tour of Rome with Romelimostours, with our disabled adult daughter who uses a walker and/or a wheelchair, we had no lines, no problems, no delays, anywhere. It was quite empowering breezing past the unbelievably long lines to get into the Colosseum! Our guide took us to the front of every line, at every venue - that is standard, if you hire a private guide, vs doing it on your own. Our private Vatican guide was essential - first, because indeed, if you can't take the stairs, it is daunting to figure out where to go - the velvet ropes parted everywhere for us because of her and her Official Guide ID badge! - really, no metaphor there. And also, since we only had a few hours, she was able to get us to the key areas in the Vatican Apartments and Museum - she asked us in the beginning about our preferences. She wanted to make sure we had enough time in the Sistine Chapel and in St. Peter's, also - so a private guide is essential particularly if you have a mobility issue.
Over the course of our 2 days in Rome with our private guide from Romelimostours, like I said, we had to stand in no line, ever, and because of our mobility issue, he was able to drive closer to the entrances to venues - he would say something to a policeman, and we were allowed to get closer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Sun Viking May 1989; Western Caribbean
Celebrity Equinox August 2011; 11 Night Mediterranean (Istanbul) - review
Celebrity Solstice August 2012; 12 Night Mediterranean (Venice) - review
Celebrity Summit October 2012; 7 Night Caribbean Repositioning, NJ to San Juan - review
Celebrity Solstice Jan 2013; 12 Night Sydney, Australia - Auckland, New Zealand - review
Celebrity Solstice Jan 2013; 18 Night Auckland, New Zealand - Perth, Australia - review
Celebrity Equinox April 2013; 15 Night Eastbound Transatlantic; Canary Islands, Strait of Gibraltar - review
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 2013; 11 Night Adriatic Venice to Rome - review
Celebrity Summit April 2014; 8 Night Bermuda & Caribbean Repo, San Juan to NJ - review
Celebrity Eclipse August 2014; 14 Night Baltic Sea - Scandinavia & Russia - review
Celebrity Solstice Sept 2014; 11 Night Alaska - Skagway, Juneau, Inside Passage - review
Disney Magic Feb 2015; 7 Night Western Caribbean - review
Celebrity Infinity April 2015; 17 Night Panama Canal, FL to San Francisco - review
Celebrity Infinity May 2015; 11 Night San Francisco to Alaska - review
Uniworld River Empress August 2015; 7 Night Castles Along the Rhine, Switzerland to Amsterdam - review
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 2015; 11 Night Amsterdam to Rome - review
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 2015; 10 Night Mediterranean - Sardinia, Corsica - review
Disney Fantasy December 2015; 7 Night Caribbean Holiday Cruise - review
Celebrity Summit March 2016; 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Dominca, Martinique, St. Kitts - review
Celebrity Summit April 2016; 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua - review
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas Sept 2016; 7 Night New England/Canada - review
#23
Tampa, FL
723 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by lexmiller
When we took our 2 day tour of Rome with Romelimostours, with our disabled adult daughter who uses a walker and/or a wheelchair, we had no lines, no problems, no delays, anywhere. It was quite empowering breezing past the unbelievably long lines to get into the Colosseum! Our guide took us to the front of every line, at every venue - that is standard, if you hire a private guide, vs doing it on your own. Our private Vatican guide was essential - first, because indeed, if you can't take the stairs, it is daunting to figure out where to go - the velvet ropes parted everywhere for us because of her and her Official Guide ID badge! - really, no metaphor there. And also, since we only had a few hours, she was able to get us to the key areas in the Vatican Apartments and Museum - she asked us in the beginning about our preferences. She wanted to make sure we had enough time in the Sistine Chapel and in St. Peter's, also - so a private guide is essential particularly if you have a mobility issue.
Over the course of our 2 days in Rome with our private guide from Romelimostours, like I said, we had to stand in no line, ever, and because of our mobility issue, he was able to drive closer to the entrances to venues - he would say something to a policeman, and we were allowed to get closer.
Thanks for the info Lexmiller. We have a private driver as well as a Vatican guide, but ticket price isn't included in our tour. I just heard from the Vatican museum that non EU disabled residents and companion get in free and don't wait in line so we will do this (and US handicap placard suffices as evidence of disability).

Since we are going on Wed (day of papal audience), I just need to figure out if we want to go to Vatican museum with guide in the morning and on our own to St. Peters in the afternoon or go with guide in afternoon for both.
#24
UK
118 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by katrina915
Kelv,
When you come back, you you please post if the elevator is working in Colloseum since it is my understanding that you can only go on second floor in wheelchair?!
Yes, no problem Katrina, I can do that. And thanks, I'm sure we'll have a superb time, much like yourself later in the year.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us lexmiller. I have little doubt that on the day things will run really smoothly and I will have done a lot of worrying unnecessarily.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelv
____

#25
Cape May Court House, NJ
392 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
We were on our own, without a guide, to the Colosseum, with me pushing my mother in her wheelchair. It was summertime, and the line LONGER than I had ever seen it - winding out past the gates. As we approached, personnel saw us, rushed out, and led us through the throngs into the monument. Later, we breezed to the elevator to view the second floor. All for free; we never showed anything. I suppose if one is in a wheelchair, that suffices for proof of disability.

Italy is the MOST accommodating country I have ever taken my mother. And most locations gave free acces to both my mother and me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Pride, Carib. (7/2017)
Crystal River Mozart, Christmas on the Danube (12/2017)
Crystal Symphony, Canada (10/2018)
Cunard QV, Christmas in the Canaries (12/2018)
Cunard QE, Japan Circumnavigation (4/2019)
Azamara Journey, Holy Land (10/2013)
Crystal Serenity, California (5/2017)
Crystal Serenity, Canada (10/2016)
Crystal Symphony, Canada (10/2015)

Cunard QM2, Holiday Caribbean (12/2016)
Cunard QV, Trans. East (3/2012)
Cunard QM2, Transatlantic, East (2009)
Cunard QM2, Norway (2009)
Cunard QM2, Transatlantic, West (2009)
Cunard QM2, Canadian Maritime (2006)
Cunard QE2, Transatlantic, East (2000)
Cunard QE2 Transatlantic, West (2001) paired with
Cunard Caronia, Transatlantic, East (north), 24 days(2001)
Disney Magic, Canada (7/2012)
HAL Veendam, Alaska (2002)
HAL Zuiderdam, Alaska (2006)
RCCL Grandeur, Bermuda (8/2015)
ROC Voyager, Ft. Laud. to Amazon, R/T, 16 days (2003)
Seabourn Legend, Caribb. (4/2010)
X Horizon, Bermuda (8/2004)
X Summit, Bermuda (6/2014)
NCL Dream, Baltic Sea (2004)
NCL Jade, Mediterranean, 14 days (2008)
NCL Wind, Hawaii (2005)
Princess, Crown Princess, Carrib. (2007)
Carnival Fantasy, Caribbean (1992)
#26
UK
118 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Njguy_south. Thanks for the info. Any concerns we had before have just about disappeared, thanks to all the help and advice we have got here. I only wish I had come across Cruise Critic years ago. Without that Im not sure we would have arranged our private tours at all and would still be left wondering how best to explore France and Italy.


Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelv
____

#27
England
3 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Hope this is not too late for you, only joined cc yesterday! I went to the Vatican in my wheelchair a couple of years ago, we joined the queue but were soon soon spotted and removed quickly to the entrance where we were taken to a desk for special assistance. Can't remember exact prices but I do remember my husband as carer was free and my student daughter a reduced price (she had her ID) Only problem is chairs do the tour backwards! You go by lift to the tour finish and then tour in the opposite direction to the other visitors and if it is busy!! We didn't know we were in the cistenelchapel until we were told off for taking photographs and talking! I saw almost everywhere if my memory serves me right and at a much reduced price and no queueing. Re coliseum I went in and the other 2 left me (as usual) to look around but at least I got inside with no problems. Hope this helps
#28
UK
118 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by Morrissophie7
Hope this is not too late for you, only joined cc yesterday! I went to the Vatican in my wheelchair a couple of years ago, we joined the queue but were soon soon spotted and removed quickly to the entrance where we were taken to a desk for special assistance. Can't remember exact prices but I do remember my husband as carer was free and my student daughter a reduced price (she had her ID) Only problem is chairs do the tour backwards! You go by lift to the tour finish and then tour in the opposite direction to the other visitors and if it is busy!! We didn't know we were in the cistenelchapel until we were told off for taking photographs and talking! I saw almost everywhere if my memory serves me right and at a much reduced price and no queueing. Re coliseum I went in and the other 2 left me (as usual) to look around but at least I got inside with no problems. Hope this helps
Thanks for the info Morrissophie7. No, it isn't too late, we don't go until this coming weekend. I have now bought tickets for the children, where necessary and am confident that with the help of our private tour guide (through RomeinLimo) things should run smoothly when we get to the Vatican Museums. If, as you experienced I find its easier to hang around at the Colisseum while the others go exploring I'm okay with that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelv
____

#29
America's Hometown
16,691 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I'm on a Travel Scoot and am in a quandary. I have booked Romeinlimo for a tour and guide for the Vatican and for the Colliseum but no one on my cruise has indicated an interest...so it will be just the two of us...very costly.

If we took the Transfer to Rome shore excursion from Holland America, should we buy tickets on line or, because I am mobility challenged, we will get in free.

Not understanding these posts fully!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sheila
"innlady1"
[email protected]

Future Cruises
MS Rotterdam - Southern Caribbean - 02/18
MS Veendam - Canada & Atlantic Coast - 10/17
Past Cruises
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/15
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Eastern Caribbean - 02/15
MS Noordam - Southern Caribbean - 02/14
MS Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean - 01/14
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Med/westbound TA B2B- 10/13
MS Ryndam - Southern & Western Caribbean B2B- 02/13
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/11
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/10
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/09
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/08
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 02/06
#30
6,516 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by innlady1
I'm on a Travel Scoot and am in a quandary. I have booked Romeinlimo for a tour and guide for the Vatican and for the Colliseum but no one on my cruise has indicated an interest...so it will be just the two of us...very costly.

If we took the Transfer to Rome shore excursion from Holland America, should we buy tickets on line or, because I am mobility challenged, we will get in free.

Not understanding these posts fully!
It's my understanding after having checked the Vatican website and read thru this thread, that you would not need to pre-purchase tickets. However there is no assurance as to the wait time that you will have to incur before being provided entry to the Vatican tour . Getting free tickets does not assure you a fast forward to the front of the line though some of posted that did occur in some situations.

Therefore, if you are on a restricted time line that does not allow you a lot of flexibility than only you can decide if you want to pre-purchase tickets.
#31
America's Hometown
16,691 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by xxoocruiser
It's my understanding after having checked the Vatican website and read thru this thread, that you would not need to pre-purchase tickets. However there is no assurance as to the wait time that you will have to incur before being provided entry to the Vatican tour . Getting free tickets does not assure you a fast forward to the front of the line though some of posted that did occur in some situations.

Therefore, if you are on a restricted time line that does not allow you a lot of flexibility than only you can decide if you want to pre-purchase tickets.
Thank you...that answers that! I will pre-purchase tickets. And hopefully someone will spot my Travel Scoot and show us the handicapped access.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sheila
"innlady1"
[email protected]

Future Cruises
MS Rotterdam - Southern Caribbean - 02/18
MS Veendam - Canada & Atlantic Coast - 10/17
Past Cruises
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/15
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Eastern Caribbean - 02/15
MS Noordam - Southern Caribbean - 02/14
MS Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean - 01/14
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Med/westbound TA B2B- 10/13
MS Ryndam - Southern & Western Caribbean B2B- 02/13
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/11
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/10
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/09
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/08
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 02/06
#32
UK
118 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by innlady1
Thank you...that answers that! I will pre-purchase tickets. And hopefully someone will spot my Travel Scoot and show us the handicapped access.
I went with my wife and children last week and we too went with RomeinLimo on a private tour with Vatican tour guide (Frederica). I only pre purchased a ticket for my 18yo daughter. My wife, younger son and I went free and Frederica saw to the tickets for us at the desk. She also showed us through the wheelchair entry, we bypassed the queues and had a fantastic time.Imo RomeinLimo are worth every penny. We used them the day after at Naples.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelv
____

#33
UK
118 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Prior to our cruise I emailed the Vatican museums and they wrote back telling me tickets for carer and myself would be free. If you do go with the HA trip into Rome you could go to the Special Permits desk with that email,with proof of disability/ID and I would like to think you will get free tickets and the assistance you need. Although we did have our own tour guide, when a member of staff did talk to us it was in English.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelv
____

#34
Tampa, FL
723 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Innlady1,
I got email from Vatican indicating that a US handicap driving placard would suffice for proof of disability and you would not wait in line and go directly to Special Permits desk for you and one other. I would recommend that you get email from Vatican museum and taKe it with you along with id.


Good luck.
#35
Hamburg, New York
1,363 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
After reading all these very helpful posts on the Vatican and sightseeing in Rome --- I see several mentions of "showing disability papers to get free tkts and by-pass the lines for admittance --- we are from New York state --- and I have no idea what "Disability Papers" are referring to --- the only thing we have in the states are "hang tags" for HC parking spaces. Thanks so much.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2002 Costa - Caribbean - 7 days
2003 Princess - Caribbean - 10 days
2007 Celebrity - Panama Canal - Full Transit - 14 days
2009 Royal Caribbean - South America & Cape Horn - 30 days
2010 and 2011 - Celebrity Solstice and HAL Westerdam - cancelled due to DH surgery
2012 - HAL Westerdam --- Hawaii and South Pacific - 30 days

Future Floats:

Azamara Quest --- April, 2014 --- Italy -- B2B (keeping fingers crossed !)

#36
Hamburg, New York
1,363 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Thanks, Katrina --- guess you and I posted at the same time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2002 Costa - Caribbean - 7 days
2003 Princess - Caribbean - 10 days
2007 Celebrity - Panama Canal - Full Transit - 14 days
2009 Royal Caribbean - South America & Cape Horn - 30 days
2010 and 2011 - Celebrity Solstice and HAL Westerdam - cancelled due to DH surgery
2012 - HAL Westerdam --- Hawaii and South Pacific - 30 days

Future Floats:

Azamara Quest --- April, 2014 --- Italy -- B2B (keeping fingers crossed !)

#37
UK
118 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by HamburgAvonLady
Thanks, Katrina --- guess you and I posted at the same time.
Hello. I had a feeling Katrina would reply. We have both been talking via this thread and with me being British she is best placed to talk about (US) disability papers. When we went a couple of weeks ago I took with me a copy of my (UK) disabled parking badge and a copy of the Vatican email, but the chap at the Special Permits desk just appeared to want some ID proof that my name matched the email. We did have an Italian tour guide to help us but at no point was I asked to produce any paperwork in relation to my disability. I guess the wheelchair was evidence enough.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelv
____