Beware shared van service at Fort Lauderdale port

dgannett

Just got off of the Oasis on Saturday (April 21). I usually take a cab to the airport and as we were walking to the cab area, we were asked how many were in our party and when I replied "four", we were directed to a van. Luggage was loaded and, after waiting for an additional four people that we didn't know to be loaded up, we went to FLL. There was no discussion of the fare or a per passenger rate before leaving and there was no meter or signs in the van detailing the cost of the trip.

When we arrived at FLL, I was told it would be $44 for the four of us. I refused to pay this as we had been lead by a person who passed himself off as directing passengers to cabs and the trip from our hotel to the port (a longer distance) was $20 for everyone including tip. Naturally, the driver wasn't happy and I pulled out my cell and threatened to call the police. That did the trick and he sheepishly accepted the $20 bill I had offered him. Words werre exchanged as I went into the airport with my family (told him that I work for a living and that he should do the same instead of ripping people off who are coming back from vacation).

Lessons from this story: -Just like in other countries, establish the price before getting in the vehicle (I should have done this). -The fare from the port to FLL should not be more than $20 for four people in one cab. -Avoid any shared van service from the port in Fort Lauderdale. Taxis are metered and required to use them according to local law.

btw, the trip on the Oasis was GREAT!

This seems to be the way things are at Port Everglades. I've been there twice where I asked for a cab and was directed to the shared vans. Like you say, establish the price up front.

Husband and I were in Fort Lauderdale in January and from FLL airport to the cruiseport is a set amount. We have done this many times and as far back as I remember it has been a set charge. There will be a decal in the window saying that the cost from airport to cruiseport (or vise versa) is $24.00. There was also another sign saying that there was now a $1.00 gas surcharge. Then a tip of $5.00 brings it to $30.00. Not bad for that crazy driving the taxi driver does.

We also went from MIA to Miami port this winter and it was also a set amount. No meter. Not exactly sure what that one was, but I think it was the same amount. The reason is, a taxi driver can not drive people who are not familiar with the area around and let the meter run up to a high amount. Also, if you are stuck in traffic, the meter still runs. If there is a set amount, you can not be overcharged when you are in a traffic jam. If you are ever stuck, that meter keeps ticking away when there is not a set amount.

There was probably an additional charge for the extra 2 people. Still a lot more cost efficient than taking the ship's transfer.

Husband and I were in Fort Lauderdale in January and from FLL airport to the cruiseport is a set amount. We have done this many times and as far back as I remember it has been a set charge. There will be a decal in the window saying that the cost from airport to cruiseport (or vise versa) is $24.00. There was also another sign saying that there was now a $1.00 gas surcharge. Then a tip of $5.00 brings it to $30.00. Not bad for that crazy driving the taxi driver does.

We also went from MIA to Miami port this winter and it was also a set amount. No meter. Not exactly sure what that one was, but I think it was the same amount. The reason is, a taxi driver can not drive people who are not familiar with the area around and let the meter run up to a high amount. Also, if you are stuck in traffic, the meter still runs. If there is a set amount, you can not be overcharged when you are in a traffic jam. If you are ever stuck, that meter keeps ticking away when there is not a set amount.

There was probably an additional charge for the extra 2 people. Still a lot more cost efficient than taking the ship's transfer.

That's strange...most cruise critic members report paying an avg of $13 metered fare from FLL to Port Everglades and a fixed rate from MIA to Port of Miami.

Husband and I were in Fort Lauderdale in January and from FLL airport to the cruiseport is a set amount.....

No, it's not. It's a metered fare; we know this from experience. From MIA to the Port of Miami is a flat rate of $24.00 - is that what you are thinking of, perhaps? :)

Never seen a set fare from Port Everglades to FLL. There is a $10 minimum fare from Port Everglades but that's it. Interesting that the OP thinks the shuttle was ripping him off when he never bothered to verify what the fare was. A 9 year member and he never has read about shuttles on here before?

Yes, I was wrong. It was Miami that we had the fixed rate from MIA to the Miami port in March and not Fort Lauderdale. Also, it has been Miami that we have cruised from over the past few years. We go directly from airport to ship. Mind must be going. The fixed rate is a good price though. It is a long way and there is a lot of traffic.

On the trip from Fort Lauderdale in January we took the hotel transfer from the airport. Now I remember.

Taking so many cruises that they all blend together.

I stated in my original post that I should have verified the fare before getting in the van. I'm a little embarassed if there really was a sign somewhere that said $11 per person. In any event, I was never told that there was a per person charge and we had to wait like ten minutes for them to round up four other unsuspecting passengers. Anyways, if just a few more people are tipped off to avoid the vans, then my purpose has been fulfilled by posting this.

I also will vouch for doing research here on Cruise Critic and have set up several excursions with fellow passengers that I met through the site. That being said, I didn't think of doing research for the ten minute ride from the port to FLL; the plan was to get into a metered cab. Did this last year and they did run the meter for a fare of less than $20.

btw, with carrying our luggage off of Oasis, there was no problem catching the 10:15a Delta flight..

We had the same thing happen to us a couple years back. One of our group had gotten her luggage before the rest of us and went out to wait. When we came out she said she had a taxi van lined up that was big enough for all of us. We just followed her and got in the van. We were surprised also when it was $10 per person. From then on, we are more observant when getting into a cab. I think they should have to tell you that it is a private shuttle, and what the price will be when they lure you to them.

Claudia

I'm sorry this happened.

Listen, don't feel bad, it happens to even the most seasoned of travelers. I'm tired of telling everyone to settle on the rate BEFORE even entering any vehicle. Guess what, on my last cruise I got ripped off in Jamaica (long story). And don't even let me get started on what they did to me in D.C.

Chalk it up to experience and forget about it until your next cruise when you know better. I'm glad you had a great cruise.

We have seen this scenario on the last two cruises from Ft. There'll be a line of passengers waiting for a cab to wherever. And someone will walk up and down the line saying..."Anyone going to the airport? We are ready to go." And people just follow him blindly. The group of 3 in front of us started heading his way and I mentioned to them they would end up in a shuttle with higher cost. They stopped and stayed in the cab line...saving money AND time, as the shuttle was still there waiting for riders when they loaded into their cab. :rolleyes:

If we spread the facts here and at the port when possible, people might not be "tricked" into some van. ;)

CC Friends,

Thanks for the great information. DW, son, GF and I are cursing out of FLL on June 3 rd on the Allure. I know now on the return trip to the airport to take a taxi. My flight is at 11:00AM....

My wife and I seen this happening last Dec in Ft.Lauderdale after disembarking the Carnival Freedom. Im pretty aware of situations like this and pointed it out to the wife,as its a pretty hectic time of day. People seem to think they have to line and or follow others,not me as i just ignore them and walked up and got in a cab on my own.

Archived