Sydney BridgeClimb Adventure: Added Info, Tips, Secrets??

TLCOhio

On the Sydney Harbour BridgeClimb, I have done several searches on these Aussie/NZ board of Cruise Critic. There is some info, but it is not as current as I seek and it is somewhat limited. We are doing a Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland cruise, 14 days, on the Celebrity Solstice. We've got time, but I wanted to do some more digging, seek other word of wisdom. One of the best sources was from the TravelAdvisor website comments section from those many, many who have done previously this great adventure. I was able to ask questions of those who had done this climb and they provided some added, very helpful info.

Clearly nobody has complained that the price was too low. BUT, overall, most everybody said this experience was super awesome and a true "once in a lifetime" thrill. As I analyze the various comments and gain added insights, it is clear that, YES, I definitely want to do "IT", but that weather and timing will be key factors to consider. I also got some items that might be helpful in sharing from my e-mail last week to their website (admin@bridgeclimb.com). Here is my most combined summary on what has been learned so far:

1. ADVANCE BOOKINGS: Climbs for January 2014 will be released in late 2013. Generally speaking, they are released for sale approximately three months prior. I will check in early and mid January 2013 to see how the various times are booking up for a few days to a week ahead. Personally, I don't want to lock in too early for a booking/timing and discover that I would have a weather problem at the day/timing of the climb. It does not seem that things get totally booked too far ahead, allowing added flexibility. I will monitor it to confirm that assumption.

2. DIFFERENT TOURS: There are three tour options. The Express Climb that is somewhat new and for those short of time. You can do this tour in 2.25 hours. You have more staff and are in a little smaller group. You climb through the inner arch of the bridge, crossing over catwalks and stairs, still making your way to the top summit of the bridge. But some rate this option as a little rushed and missing the thrill of walking up, up the top arch of the bridge. The original 3.5 hours bridge climb gives you uninterrupted views up the outer bridge arch all the way to the summit. This tour is the one most offered at a much wider range of times morning through night. Third, is more of an "internal" tour that takes you to the top, but gives you more details and insights for how this bridge was constructed. You still go to the top, but it focuses on those background aspects in building it. My current plan would be to do the longer, full arch, top-walking tour.

3. TIMING FACTORS/CONSIDERATIONS: There is a more costly, sunrise/dawn potential, but that is only offered once a month, first Saturday of each month. We'll be there mid January 2014, so that potential is out. Given all of the other things to do later in the day and for the evenings, morning might be better on my schedule. But, in the mornings, the lighting angles would not be as good for the positioning of the sun and how it lights faces and background buildings for such photos. Can’t change the sun positioning, so my tentative game-plan will be to aim for that 2-4 pm afternoon timing, checking advance weather options and go for this timing.

4. TOUR COSTS: For July 2012-June 2013 pricing: it is, Day, Monday - Friday, $218; Day, Saturday - Sunday, $228; Night, Monday -Sunday, $198; Twilight, Monday - Friday, $278; Twilight, Saturday - Sunday, $288. Twilight might be nice and more dramatic, but I’m not sure it would be worth the added cost.

5. PHOTO OPTIONS: You get one picture of the group at the top for "free" (included in the overall price), but if you want more you can get two 6x8" size for $30 or larger group on a USB stick for $100. It's way overpriced, but, if you have a good guide taking the pictures, that larger digital option could work out well. They will take some individual pictures and getting a larger group in this format could work out well to share and keep alive this "great adventure" in my old age.

6. OTHER FACTORS/ITEMS: As you are doing this tour, you wear an audio headset so that the guide can give you lots of info and tips on things to see from this spectacular vantage point, background about the bridge's building, etc. This seems very helpful, plus it has some good safety advantages. There are lots of short stops during the climb up, making things easier for those of us who are kind of "middle-aged", plus allowing folks to see more, etc. If asked "who wants to go first", quickly say YES! That puts you closer to the guide and picture taker. The first two people get, by far, the best photos. Lots of advantages to be quick to volunteer.

7. ADDITIONAL SECRETS?: Don't drink too much water before you start. There are no bathrooms once you get out onto the bridge. Avoid alcohol!! Every climber will need to pass a breath test (for a blood alcohol limit of 0.05% or less) before being allowed to Climb. Your BridgeClimb ticket also gives you entry into the first pylon. Either visit before or after your climb for more of the history of the building of the bridge, plus some excellent views. Many come just for the BridgeClimb and do not visit the pylon, missing out on this additional experience, key place for high-level photos, etc.

What else am I missing to research, consider, know, etc.? Appreciate any great suggestions from wonderful Aussie, plus others who have done this experience. Will share more as I get added info, insights from others.

Below are three of the earlier pictures that I pulled off of the web about this exciting tour and the famed bridge. Sounds and looks super exciting!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,312 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a National Geographic website view from atop of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. A monumental engineering feat, it took eight years to build and was completed in 1932. The roadway is supported by the arch, is 1,650-feet long, 160 feet wide and contains two sets of railway tracks, eight road lanes, a bikeway, and a footpath on both sides. Their website for the climb that I want to do is: http://www.bridgeclimb.com. The highest point of the arch is 440 feet. The pylons are 292 feet high. The Bridge was the highest point in Sydney Australia until 1967. It took 39,000 tons of steel to build this Sydney icon.:

NatGeoSydneyBridgeHarbour.jpg

Here is a night view of the famed Sydney Harbour Bridge.:

SydneyBridgeAtNight.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the overall harbor, including the Opera House and other key aspects from this super scenic harbor.:

SydneyHarbourOverview.jpg

Terry,

Sorry for going a little off topic, but does your photo of the harbour show where Solstice actually docks? We're on her this Christmas and I wondered if the dock was visible in your shot, and perhaps you could point it out to me? I know it's a strange request, but I am quite strange :D.

Thanks

Terry, Sorry for going a little off topic, but does your photo of the harbour show where Solstice actually docks? We're on her this Christmas and I wondered if the dock was visible in your shot, and perhaps you could point it out to me? I know it's a strange request, but I am quite strange :D.Thanks

24opt_zps600780b1.jpg

It sure does.

Celebrity Solstice will be docking at the OPT, Overseas Passenger Terminal,(arrowed above.)

Prime position with stunning views of the Opera House, Bridge and Sydney CBD. It doesnt get much better than that.:):)

Thanks, David. Sounds great, especially as we're docked there over night. Our night time view, I'm sure, will be just as great as the daytime - can't wait :).

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Terry. You shouldn't post such fantastic photos :D.

Edited by villauk

Terry, Sorry for going a little off topic, but does your photo of the harbour show where Solstice actually docks? We're on her this Christmas and I wondered if the dock was visible in your shot, and perhaps you could point it out to me? I know it's a strange request, but I am quite strange :D. Thanks

In my view, your question is not off topic as the docking location is almost right next door to the famed bridge. Can't get much closer, right?? See two of the pictures below. In most all cases, we dock at the three-story international terminal that has the super views for BOTH the bridge and Opera House. Like it?

As I understand, larger ships, such as the Solstice, cannot sail under this bridge (due to their total height) and need to be on this side. Some smaller ship often cross under the bridge and dock on that other side.

For our UK friend, be sure to post a follow-up report to help us on our early 2014 cruise know more as to how your late 2012 Aussie-NZ cruise goes, what you liked most, etc. Is this your first sailing on the Solstice? If you need to know more on this great ship, check out my live/blog connected below with lots of ship visuals, food and entertainment highlights, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,312 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are two different views in connection with Sydney, their famed Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, etc. The first picture show another cruise ship (Crystal Symphony), not Solstice, being docked where we will be. Then, a night view, another angle on the Opera House and Bridge, then a look at the docking facility where our Solstice will be for two days as we get ready to commence our early “adventure”.:

SydneyOperaHouseShipView.jpg

SydneyNightOperaHouseBridge.jpg

Thanks, David. Sounds great, especially as we're docked there over night. Our night time view, I'm sure, will be just as great as the daytime - can't wait :). Sorry for hijacking the thread, Terry. You shouldn't post such fantastic photos :D.

I plead totally GUILTY as to liking to posting good visuals. It's fun sharing. As they say, a picture is worth a thousands words.

Having done a few climbs now, I’d offer the following.

Don’t stress about booking a long way in advance. IME, the only climbs that get booked up quickly are those between Christmas and New Year and possibly a few days after New Year, and the twilight climbs. Other than this, you can usually get a same day slot if you turn up early in the day, although if your heart is dead set on doing this it will be safer to book in advance to ensure that you're not disappointed.

As it’s your first climb, do the classic full-fat climb (not the express climb and not the “internal” Discovery climb).

I agree with you about sun position, but be careful of the heat and the sun if you choose to do it in the middle of the day because you’re out in the elements for quite a while. Night climbs are great, but I wouldn't recommend them for a first-time climb - so for the same reason I wouldn't recommend a twilight climb for a first-timer.

I’m not sure about this business of being “close to the guide”. The guide often unclips and walks the length of the group, so you are not always closest to the guide if you’re at the front. All of the individual photos are taken at spots where you can be the only visible people in the photo. I’ve never thought that any of the photos of my climbs have been improved or worsened by my position in the group (although to be honest I don’t think I’ve ever bought one, only kept the ones I’ve been given for free). Personally, I like being at the end of the group because it means that I can dawdle when I feel like it!

Having done a few climbs now, I’d offer the following. Don’t stress about booking a long way in advance. IME, the only climbs that get booked up quickly are those between Christmas and New Year and possibly a few days after New Year, and the twilight climbs. Other than this, you can usually get a same day slot if you turn up early in the day, although if your heart is dead set on doing this it will be safer to book in advance to ensure that you're not disappointed. As it’s your first climb, do the classic full-fat climb (not the express climb and not the “internal” Discovery climb). I agree with you about sun position, but be careful of the heat and the sun if you choose to do it in the middle of the day because you’re out in the elements for quite a while. Night climbs are great, but I wouldn't recommend them for a first-time climb - so for the same reason I wouldn't recommend a twilight climb for a first-timer. I’m not sure about this business of being “close to the guide”. The guide often unclips and walks the length of the group, so you are not always closest to the guide if you’re at the front. All of the individual photos are taken at spots where you can be the only visible people in the photo. I’ve never thought that any of the photos of my climbs have been improved or worsened by my position in the group (although to be honest I don’t think I’ve ever bought one, only kept the ones I’ve been given for free). Personally, I like being at the end of the group because it means that I can dawdle when I feel like it!

WOW! Super great info, insights and background from the ever-wise Globaliser. Hadn't considered the afternoon sun/heat. That could be an issue ton consider!! You are re-enforcing the view that there would not be a need to book way ahead. Staying "flexible" will be smart. Lots to consider. Keep the wonderful info flowing. Very helpful.

Thanks for condensing the info! To clarify is the twilight only offered once a month? Is scheduling this the morning after a long flight be an issue? I am picturing that I'm getting a good nights sleep the night before....but don't really understand jet lag. Is this an issue?

Off topic Terry I have some Ohio flight info that may be helpful. I'm a planner and booked flights early (Cinti to Dallas to Brisbane to Sydney) for $2100 economy. Those flights just went on sale for $1150 pp! Hindsight I may have waited. I'm waiting on booking the hotels! Hope that helps.

Karen....from Ohio

In my view, your question is not off topic as the docking location is almost right next door to the famed bridge. Can't get much closer, right?? See two of the pictures below. In most all cases, we dock at the three-story international terminal that has the super views for BOTH the bridge and Opera House. Like it?

As I understand, larger ships, such as the Solstice, cannot sail under this bridge (due to their total height) and need to be on this side. Some smaller ship often cross under the bridge and dock on that other side.

For our UK friend, be sure to post a follow-up report to help us on our early 2014 cruise know more as to how your late 2012 Aussie-NZ cruise goes, what you liked most, etc. Is this your first sailing on the Solstice? If you need to know more on this great ship, check out my live/blog connected below with lots of ship visuals, food and entertainment highlights, etc.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are two different views in connection with Sydney, their famed Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, etc. The first picture show another cruise ship (Crystal Symphony), not Solstice, being docked where we will be. Then, a night view, another angle on the Opera House and Bridge, then a look at the docking facility where our Solstice will be for two days as we get ready to commence our early “adventure”.:

SydneyOperaHouseShipView.jpg

Terry

Thanks for posting the photo of the Crystal Symphony. I'll be there, on her in 98 days time!! Can't dock at the OPT on New Year's Eve for obvious reasons, but we move around from Darling Harbour to the OPT early morning on New Year's Day for the remaining two days of our port call....can't wait...

Anne

Edited by Jayayeff

We could see a group when we sailed out of the harbor in Feb.

Jayayeff: Terry. Thanks for posting the photo of the Crystal Symphony. I'll be there' date=' on her in 98 days time!! Can't dock at the OPT on New Year's Eve for obvious reasons, but we move around from Darling Harbour to the OPT early morning on New Year's Day for the remaining two days of our port call....can't wait... Anne [/quote']

boingy300: Thanks for condensing the info! To clarify is the twilight only offered once a month? Is scheduling this the morning after a long flight be an issue? I am picturing that I'm getting a good nights sleep the night before....but don't really understand jet lag. Is this an issue? Off topic Terry I have some Ohio flight info that may be helpful. I'm a planner and booked flights early (Cinti to Dallas to Brisbane to Sydney) for $2100 economy. Those flights just went on sale for $1150 pp! Hindsight I may have waited. I'm waiting on booking the hotels! Hope that helps. Karen....from Ohio

Love the great picture of the folks walking along the top' date=' top arch of this famed bridge. [b']Great idea for getting an interesting visual[/b] to capture from ground level and/or a higher location that reflects part of what this super "adventure" involves, etc.

Appreciate Anne follow-up and comments. Enjoy your soon-to-be cruise on that wonderful Crystal ship. We loved the Symphony when on her in 2008 doing the Baltics and Russia from Dover to Stockholm.

Great airfare option info from Karen from Ohio. We are looking to fly from Columbus to DFW to Brisbane in order to do Kargaroo Island and/or Great Barrier Reef before going to Sydney. Lots of options to get there. Costs and flight times are clearly a serious challenge requiring some luck and good timing.

Keep up the wonderful sharing, added information, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,522 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Thanks for condensing the info! To clarify is the twilight only offered once a month? Is scheduling this the morning after a long flight be an issue? I am picturing that I'm getting a good nights sleep the night before....but don't really understand jet lag. Is this an issue?

Off topic Terry I have some Ohio flight info that may be helpful. I'm a planner and booked flights early (Cinti to Dallas to Brisbane to Sydney) for $2100 economy. Those flights just went on sale for $1150 pp! Hindsight I may have waited. I'm waiting on booking the hotels! Hope that helps.

Karen....from Ohio

We booked our flight back in June. Miami to Los Angeles to Auckland and then a few days later Auckland to Sydney. We got ours for $1296 a person round trip and now the same flight is over $3,000 pp. Sometimes it helps to book early... I guess its just depends on how in demand the flight is.

Terry, beautiful photos as usual. Anne Marie and I have walked the bridge three times but have not done the climb. Just two additional comments.

If you go early in the morning the three times we have gone to the location where the tickets are sold and people wait to do the tour the lines have not bee very long.

After your climb, be sure to spend a little while in the store and you may want to purchase one of their shirts. By the way there is a rest room right there. While I didn't do a climb I did purchase a shirt which is just a nice memory of walking the bridge and when I wear the shirt I end up getting into a discussion with someone about Sydney and the Bridge.

If it was me I wouldn't purchase tickets in advance because it could be a rainy day.

Keith

Terry, beautiful photos as usual. Anne Marie and I have walked the bridge three times but have not done the climb. Just two additional comments. If you go early in the morning the three times we have gone to the location where the tickets are sold and people wait to do the tour the lines have not bee very long. After your climb, be sure to spend a little while in the store and you may want to purchase one of their shirts. By the way there is a rest room right there. While I didn't do a climb I did purchase a shirt which is just a nice memory of walking the bridge and when I wear the shirt I end up getting into a discussion with someone about Sydney and the Bridge. If it was me I wouldn't purchase tickets in advance because it could be a rainy day. Keith

boingy300: Wow' date=' what a difference in price/time........oh, well. [b']Good luck Terry.[/b]

Appreciate the excellent feed-back and suggestions from Keith and boingy300. Very helpful!!! Look forward to getting more ideas, experiences, etc. The shirt idea is a good one. Part of the reason for doing the BridgeClimb is that it can be a fun point of discussion, sharing with others. We've seen this famed Bridge in many ways/settings and it will be nice to say that I was a part of a group climbing to the "TOP"!! Keep those great ideas and experiences flowing along.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,795 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I did the full climb in 2002 and there are a few things I thought of. Maybe some of this has changed.

You have to wear their jumpsuit. So wear something comfortable that you wouldn't mind having under their jumpsuit and maybe get sweaty, etc.

Second, nothing on your body can be unattached. If you want to wear sunglasses, you have to attach them to your body with something they give you. They can't take a chance of anything falling into traffic below. If you have clips, barrettes, etc in your hair, you have to take them out or attach them.

Third, there are areas of the climb at the beginning that feel a bit tight. If you're a bigger person, you have to suck it in a bit.

They took many photos of us. We got a certificate to commemmorate the climb and we also bought tons of I Climbed It stuff in the gift shop. It's truly a once in a lifetime experience and it will stay with you. It's been 10 years since I did it and I remember it as clearly as I remember this morning. The climb is one of my top travel moments. :D

The Bridge Climb Team contacted us and we're posting this message on their behalf:

Hi all,

Don't forget, in addition to the BridgeClimb website, the Shore Excursions Tour Desk onboard your cruise ship can assist you with securing your BridgeClimb ticket upon your approach to Sydney. Enjoy your cruise and we hope to welcome you to the Bridge.

Best wishes,

The BridgeClimb Team

Hi guys! I did the full climb in 2002 and there are a few things I thought of. Maybe some of this has changed. You have to wear their jumpsuit. So wear something comfortable that you wouldn't mind having under their jumpsuit and maybe get sweaty, etc. Second, nothing on your body can be unattached. If you want to wear sunglasses, you have to attach them to your body with something they give you. They can't take a chance of anything falling into traffic below. If you have clips, barrettes, etc in your hair, you have to take them out or attach them. Third, there are areas of the climb at the beginning that feel a bit tight. If you're a bigger person, you have to suck it in a bit. They took many photos of us. We got a certificate to commemmorate the climb and we also bought tons of I Climbed It stuff in the gift shop. It's truly a once in a lifetime experience and it will stay with you. It's been 10 years since I did it and I remember it as clearly as I remember this morning. The climb is one of my top travel moments. :D

WOW!! Great, added info and insights from Admin. Very helpful, interesting and exciting! Gets me more fired up to do this "adventure". What you outline seems very consistent with the various items I have read. Don't know that I'll be that interested in the gift shop stuff. We'll see and have my wallet prepared accordingly. Keep the good stuff, sharing rolling along.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,592 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Just thought I'd mention that it is Sydney Festival time from 5 - 27 January - and it can be a very busy time of year with tourists. Most likely you'd be able to just walk in and book on the morning you decide to do the climb...but I'd advise to keep monitoring the website so you can check if the timeslot and day that you are interested in is beginning to fill up.

Its really quite an easy walk. I'm not too good with heights and was concerned that I'd be slow and hence slow down the whole group - but I was delighted to find it no trouble at all. An incedible experience.

Just thought I'd mention that it is Sydney Festival time from 5 - 27 January - and it can be a very busy time of year with tourists. Most likely you'd be able to just walk in and book on the morning you decide to do the climb...but I'd advise to keep monitoring the website so you can check if the timeslot and day that you are interested in is beginning to fill up. Its really quite an easy walk. I'm not too good with heights and was concerned that I'd be slow and hence slow down the whole group - but I was delighted to find it no trouble at all. An incedible experience.

Appreciate so much the details on your BridgeClimb experience going so well and being worth it. ALSO, the tip off on the Sydney Festival is helpful. Didn't know about this programing. I went to their website. Most of the 2013 acts and performances have not yet been announced, but will be coming later this month. Our Aust-NZ cruise is not until early 2014, so we've got time. BUT, it's nice know about this being an annual event.

From their website, it seems that their arts programs are more on the contemporary side. Is that correct? They note this: "program is kaleidoscopic in its diversity, from burlesque circus to New York rap to Russian theatre; from contemporary dance to family programs to traditional Indigenous arts practice. In all, the program comprises around 300 performances and around 100 events performed by over 1,000 artists in at least 20 venues each year. Inclusive programming, a broad range of free events and accessible pricing policies for the ticketed shows means that Sydney Festival is open to all, welcoming Sydneysiders and visitors from wherever they live."

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,666 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Ok...cameras aren't allowed, sunglasses are. Now, are cameras not allowed mainly because they want you to buy their pictures, or only because of the potential danger of them falling and hitting traffic below? Because...I was just thinking...they make sunglasses with a camera built-in....

Ok...cameras aren't allowed, sunglasses are. Now, are cameras not allowed mainly because they want you to buy their pictures, or only because of the potential danger of them falling and hitting traffic below? Because...I was just thinking...they make sunglasses with a camera built-in....

Hi circuitrider,

Sunglasses are (like ordinary prescription glasses) able to be attached securely, so are allowed. Cameras are not allowed because they are not attached securely and could become a missile.

My guess is that sunglasses with a built-in camera would be completely acceptable.....probably best though to email and check with Bridgeclimb Co.