Why the excitement over lobster

orangepeel

Serious question here, because I truly do not understand.

I see on many of the cruise line boards a common question...when is lobster night. Answers that usually follow always include how many tails a person has eaten on their last cruise. Maybe I am missing something here but I do not understand what the excitement is about. I like lobster as much as the next person too i think and order it once in a while when we go out at home. Would someone please explain to me why it is such a big deal while on the ship.

Edited by orangepeel

I would think that for some it is the only time that they have it. While readily available in most places there are locations where it is difficult to find or if you do the price is crazy. Where I live I can buy real Atlantic lobster live any day of the week, not the rock or spiney lobster as it is called that is served on the ship, which I find tasteless. Very seldom do I order lobster on the ship. I guess for some it is a real treat.

The lobster on cruise ships is terrible, and I agree, I just don't see the reason to get excited. Now if we're talking fresh Maine lobster, steamed with drawn butter, that is something I get excited about. That not what they are serving on cruise ships though.

Then again I read someone's trip report where they were so happy about meatloaf in the dining room. I never thought of meat loaf as something to get excited about. Different strokes I guess.

I would think that for some it is the only time that they have it. While readily available in most places there are locations where it is difficult to find or if you do the price is crazy. Where I live I can buy real Atlantic lobster live any day of the week, not the rock or spiney lobster as it is called that is served on the ship, which I find tasteless. Very seldom do I order lobster on the ship. I guess for some it is a real treat.

Ok, that makes sense. - thanks :). I have always lived in coastal states and seafood is readily available. I had not considered that, duh....middle states probably just do not see the amount of seafood & prices we do on a regular basis.

Then again I read someone's trip report where they were so happy about meatloaf in the dining room. I never thought of meat loaf as something to get excited about. Different strokes I guess.

LOL! I don't think I could get that excited about meatloaf either. I guess I have my strange item too. Stuffed bell peppers maybe - but they would have to be really good looking ones. Love those things but I never make them because my husband and kids do not care for them.

Edited by orangepeel

Ok, that makes sense. - thanks :). I have always lived in coastal states and seafood is readily available. I had not considered that, duh....middle states probably just do not see the amount of seafood & prices we do on a regular basis.

The lobster on the ship is no different as to what you can get any day of the year at Red Lobster, and they are all over the place and dirt cheap.

Edited by ducklite

Must be different in the US than Canada. Here it is only fresh Atlantic (Maine) lobster that you pick out of the tank if you are having a whole one and only in season. Cruise ships almost exclusively use warm water lobster commonly referred to as rock or spiney lobster and it is frozen to keep. Definitely not live on the ship with the exception of some speciality restaurants that I have been to that did have live Maine lobster. Note the colour of the next tail you get and it will almost certainly be a molted pink colour and not the bright red of a real cooked lobster

Apparently, lots of folks don't get lobstertail often. It's quite easy to cook....(just like shrimp, which many folks think is some sort of "haute cuisine"!)...and can be purchased just about anywhere!

I have no desire to pay for an entire lobster....there is very little except the tail and claws that's good to eat, IMO....

Lobster tails are easy to fix at home. Don't know why everyone is "gaga" over them!

Lobster is one of my favorite foods and I can not afford to eat it often. I have had lobster on a cruise twice now and it was very good. Especially being able to order it and not having to worry about that tab. It is like a luxury for some of us. I know cruises are not super cheap either. Eating a favorite food that I do not eat often is a treat for me while I am on vacation.

• Like 1

For us, lobster is a treat. Living in Colorado, if we can find it, it is $1.50 per ounce.

Cruise lobster has become 1 three or four ounce tail placed under two four ounce shrimp. Go figure.

Going to try the specialty resturant on Princess this trip. For what we pay at home, the upcharge will be worth it. :eek:

Lobster night on Princess also usually has braised beef short ribs. That is the way that I have been going. One little tale and begging for more is not my way of having an enjoyable dinner. :cool:

I think the lobster I've tried while cruising was awful - bland and rubbery! But, as someone who lives 10 hours from the ocean (and even that's just the Gulf of Mexico) I can see why people get excited. I get just as excited over fresh gulf shrimp, or snapper, or clam bakes in New England! The rarity of it makes it more enjoyable.

Like a lot of shellfish lobster doesn't take all that well to freezing which of course the ship has to buy. Take two shrimp from the same catch. Cook one immediatly and cook the other after being frozen. There is simply no comparison in my opinion. Hence the rather tasteless rubbery texture of the normal lobster served on the ship.

Edited by Gunner22aa

Just an opinion .... The lobster tails served on the ship would be much better as Lobster Thermidor (stuffed back into the tails).

It's quite a tasty way to fix warm water lobster. :)

We seldom order lobster on cruise ships. No big thing to us and like what we can get at a couple of restaurants at home better and way better when we're visiting in New England.

LuLu

~~~~

• 2 weeks later...

When something is harder to get like lobster it is in bigger demand, and people want it. Lobster used to be served to prisoners and was considered garbage food many years ago. When the quantities started to decline, people then wanted it because only someone willing to pay more for it could have it. Same holds true for good caviar. To some it is the best tasting food in the world, but to most, they eat it at functions or parties because it is "the thing to do".

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
LObsters on cruise ships.

where in New england can you get great WHOLE lobster? never had that experience.

There are plenty of places. I love Captain and Patty's on Pepperel Road in Kittery Point, ME. The owner is a lobsterman and you can watch them bringing in the traps in the dock behind the restaurant. Now that is the definition of fresh Maine lobster.

where in New england can you get great WHOLE lobster? never had that experience.

Just about anywhere along the New England coastline you'll find "lobster pounds" or "lobster shacks" that serve whole boiled "chicken" lobsters (small ones) on paper plates. Not fancy surroundings, but the lobsters couldn't be fresher.

I love lobster, loved how it tasted on my last cruise.

We do get it here in Australia, but its very expensive - even though its very yummy, don't really think its worth it.

We just make sure we eat up on seafood when we travel as its so much cheaper :)

LObsters on cruise ships.

By the way, a little tip--the tail on cold water lobster isn't the good part. The claws are where the sweetest meat is. :)

• 1 month later...
Serious question here, because I truly do not understand.

I see on many of the cruise line boards a common question...when is lobster night. Answers that usually follow always include how many tails a person has eaten on their last cruise. Maybe I am missing something here but I do not understand what the excitement is about. I like lobster as much as the next person too i think and order it once in a while when we go out at home. Would someone please explain to me why it is such a big deal while on the ship.

Yes, they are called the "cockroaches of the sea" as they are bottom feeders and no, you shouldn't consider eating them unless in a survival situation where there is nothing else to eat. (Now if I can convince more people of this opinion that will mean more for me to enjoy.) ;)

• 2 weeks later...
i have a friend who grew up in the maritimes in the 50s he said you could always tell the poor kids at school because the all had lobster sandwiches

Sorry to be off topic, but I had a secretary who grew up poor on the Mendecino coast of California. They often only had abalone to eat which her father obtained by diving himself.

She now hates abalone!

i have a friend who grew up in the maritimes in the 50s he said you could always tell the poor kids at school because the all had lobster sandwiches

lol...I grew up in Newfoundland, and while we or at least I did not take lobster sandwiches to school for lunch, I did grow up feasting on lobster in season at home and thought nothing of it at the time. Fast forward to first formal night/cruise elegant night and choose the lobster tail:eek: Hey, this is not what I am used to....! Have not ordered once since. But to all those who love the little bitty ones they get on lobster night, I say go for it, but order at least two or three or more:D