Carnival Special Needs Dept.

luvsviola

My PVP at Carnival always alerts the Special Needs department when we book a cruise. Then they call me and send the forms to fill out or send them in an email. They also call me a few days before the cruise to give me any updated information about embarkation and gives me a chance to ask any other questions.

• 1 month later...
The original post is over 38 days old and the OP has not returned. Which most likely means that the OP has either heard from Carnival and or has found the information that was needed.

I got through to them today and they handled everthing quickly.

• 2 months later...
I got through to them today and they handled everthing quickly.

special needs department at carnival is a very bad joke. They have no concept of what some devices are. Also no concept of what permanently bound to a wheelchair means. Carnival has gone very far down hill. :mad:

Our experience (with autism) has been the opposite. In the last 10 years I have seen the special needs department greatly increase their awareness and ability to accommodate. In addition to our typical requests, on our most recent cruise (#15) we were not only granted everything we asked for, but also offered services which were greatly helpful.

I'm sorry to hear your experience was not as positive.

Our experience (with autism) has been the opposite. In the last 10 years I have seen the special needs department greatly increase their awareness and ability to accommodate. In addition to our typical requests, on our most recent cruise (#15) we were not only granted everything we asked for, but also offered services which were greatly helpful.

I'm sorry to hear your experience was not as positive.

Autism is a very different disability than totally immobile.. It is very easy to accommodate a person with Autism.. However Carnival makes very little effort to comply with the ADA. Of which they are compelled to do so under federal law and several court rulings. Please research the number of times that carnival has lost court cases for violation of the ADA.

While personally I will sail on carnival as I am not a person needing accommodation. But I do have relatives that I travel with at times that are disabled. The way that carnival treats the disabled really offends me . I had a relative told that they could accommodate them in a HCA room. But they had to pay an additional 1000 dollars. This is a direct violation of the ADA.

They very much need to get people in that department that have a clue on what some disabilities are and how to help. Also it would really help if the legal department would explain the law to the employees in the department. Compliance with the ADA is not a choice it is a requirement.

While personally I will sail on carnival as I am not a person needing accommodation. But I do have relatives that I travel with at times that are disabled. The way that carnival treats the disabled really offends me . I had a relative told that they could accommodate them in a HCA room. But they had to pay an additional 1000 dollars. This is a direct violation of the ADA.

I would suspect that in this case, the category of cabin they originally wanted was different than the HCA cabin that was available to book, therefore the increase in price. I could be wrong, but this is a guess.

I have only been on one carnival cruise but don't feel I encountered any bias either in booking or on the ship. I booked very early and got the outside cabin category I desired. Although every category on the ship doesn't have an accessible cabin there were different categories available to choose from. Also when all the outside (or other category) accessible cabins are sold out they are gone. If you want only that sailing then you will have to choose a more expensive room or go on a waitlist. I like that Carnival makes you fill out a form to describe what you need in your cabin and the size of your scooter/wheelchair. I think they do as good a job meeting ADA guidelines as any other cruiseline.

Archived