Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old March 8th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL Jade Filipino Crew Member Killed in Greece Accident

A Filipino crew member was on Deck 7 Mooring when a mooring line snapped and threw him overboard. It took divers several hours to recover him. The article is here. Very sad! http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/03...ade/index.html
Stage Manager on Disney Dream Apr-Jun '11 and the Wonder Aug '11-Jan '12
Disney Contract Pics at www.sakedad.smugmug.com
3 Days Bahamas - NCL Sky Balcony 9026 12/10/10 (took my best friend on his first cruise) pics @ http://sakedad.smugmug.com/Boats/NCL-Sky-3-Day-Bahama-Cruise-12/15081706_Mbivb#1127102815_ffgio
I was the Stage Manager on the Eurodam New Build/Inaugural Summer '08, pictures at http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/5210397_BTryd#341971687_XM3un
3 Day REPO LA-VANCOUVER - NCL Star 4/24/08 Aft BA10730Review @ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=41263 (PICTURES @ http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/4815831_s7KxZ/1/287575324_CM3nw#287575324_CM3nw )
ALASKA - HAL Noordam Seattle-Alaska RT May 20, 2007 Suite SA7086 (over 800 pics of Alaska @ http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/2911393#P-1-15)
ENSENADA - RCCL Monarch of the Seas LA-Ensenada 3 day 4/14/06 JS1580 (pics @ http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/1377085#65379995)
CHINA - Victoria Empress Cabin 235, Yangtze River, China 10/05 (over 1,600 pics of China vacation @ http://www.sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/904429#41337431)
GRENADINES - (RIP) Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (GLBT Charter) M/V Mandalay 8/02 Admiral's Suite

Old March 8th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh no, that's horrible! That poor man, he was so young.

Old March 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

oh my word. How very sad.

Prior Cruises
Monarch of the Seas - 10/96 - Honeymoon
Serenade of the Seas - 1/17/09 - Southern Caribbean - cabin 7600
Norwegian Epic - 1/15/11 - Eastern Caribbean - Courtyard 2BR Villa (S4) 16016
Norwegian Gem - 10/2/11 - Bermuda - cabin 11024 (SC)
Norwegian Epic - 2/16/13- Eastern Caribbean - Haven 2BR Villa (S4) 16016
Norwegian Breakaway - 10/13/13 - FL/GSC/Nassau - cabin 11910 (B1 Aft Balcony)

Old March 8th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Dear God horrible accident
Pray for his family
December 2010 NCL Epic - Eastern Carribean - Penthouse Suite
October 2011 NCL Sky - Bahamas - Balcony cabin
February 2013 NCL Epic - Eastern Carribean - 2 bedroom Haven suite

Old March 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

My husband is a tug boat capitan and I can tell you if one of his crew was killed in an accident like this without a life vest or safety measures his butt and his companies butt would be in a big time mess.
Sad no investigation to speack of was done. Again, let even a minor accident happen and the coast guard is on the boat and nothing happens till it is gone over with a fine tooth comb.
I have to say how sad for the family that it is business as usual after he died. To know no investigation was done would hurt.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My prayers go out to his family..
Bermuda NCL Crown 2007
Bahamas NCL Gem 2008
Eastern Caribbean CCL Miracle 2008
New England/Canada NCL Dawn 2009
Florida/Bahamas NCL Jewel 2010
Bahamas/Florida NCL Gem 2012
Bahamas/Florida NCL Jewel 2012 CAS SOLO
Canada/NE NCL Gem 2013

"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses."

Old March 8th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Very sad indeed! I am sure there is a dark cloud over the Jade as the crew and the passengers deal with this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda 5/10/2015
Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda 9/22/2013
Norwegian Star to Bermuda 9/30/2012
Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda 8/15/2010
Norwegian Gem to The Bahamas 12/26/2009
Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda 8/02/2009
Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda 8/30/2008
Norwegian Majesty to The Bahamas 10/24/2007

Old March 8th, 2013, 07:19 PM
5,000+ Club

Location: North in summer/Texas winter, but a Texan forever!!!

Sad news, however, the article is by a lawyer that specializes in suing cruise line. Wait till the full story comes out.

Old March 8th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Very sad, these people work so hard.

Old March 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

How sad for this man's family both personal and ship. I did not care for the slant of the story. I can not imagine that there will not be an investigation.

Old March 8th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posting Nathan. So sad to hear of things like that happening.

Hey - e-mail me. I'm coming down to Vegas Easter weekend.
DS has worked on all of the NCL ships now!

* My Cruises: Norway 2001 x 2, Sky 2002, Sun 2003, Star 2007*Pearl 2013

http://community.webshots.com/user/maddogmary
techcrewmom@gmail.com
Not my primary e-mail. Please be patient if I don't answer for a few days!

Last edited by crew mom; March 8th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Old March 8th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I did not read the details, as I will be boarding the Jade in a month and don't want the thoughts of this incident in my mind but I do feel very sorry for this young man and his family.

The level of investigation on something like this outside the USA is significant lower... gives one pause for thought. We are lucky, those of us who hail from the USA, but when we are crusing... we have to keep this in mind, t he rules are different in different parts of the world.

Old March 9th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

What will happen now?

Ncl Jade 7-7-2012, 3-27-2013, 8-31-2013
Costa Favolosa 7-8-2013
Ncl Spirit 6-11-2014

Old March 9th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

That really is very sad news.

Sailed

2008 Blue Monarch - Monarch Classic - Greek Isles
2009 Navigator of the Seas - RCI - Mediterranean
2011 Century - Celebrity Cruises - Alaska
2011 Adventure of the Seas - RCI -Lisbon/Gib
2012 Jade - NCL - Canary Islands
2012 Jade - NCL - Med & The Holy Land
2013 Star - NCL - Baltic Capitals
2013 Gem - NCL - New York & Eastern Caribbean

Old March 9th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Firstly I would like to sympathise with the family and work colleagues of this poor man. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Of course there will be a full investigation into this accident. Greece is a full member of the EU and all EU safety regulations and procedures will have been instigated immediately by the relevant authorities. I particularly dislike the tone of a previous poster who insinuated that if this was in the US things would be done to a higher standard . How dare you say that. This comment is totally incorrect. This will not help family members or friends that may read this thread. Unless you are an expert in Marine safety please keep those types of misinformed comments to yourself.

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexysgirl View Post
Firstly I would like to sympathise with the family and work colleagues of this poor man. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Of course there will be a full investigation into this accident. Greece is a full member of the EU and all EU safety regulations and procedures will have been instigated immediately by the relevant authorities. I particularly dislike the tone of a previous poster who insinuated that if this was in the US things would be done to a higher standard . How dare you say that. This comment is totally incorrect. This will not help family members or friends that may read this thread. Unless you are an expert in Marine safety please keep those types of misinformed comments to yourself.
I am sorry if my thoughts offended you. You are entitled to your thoughts. This is an open forum were any of us can share our thoughts. I welcome a full investigation, obvously the point of an investigation is to prevent future incidents. We will see how this plays out.

Old March 9th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexysgirl View Post

Already at slower standard if they did not halt things right then and there and start the investigation!!!
You can't recreate things after the fact. Even in the situation in a bad car wreck traffic is stopped in their tracks until things are investigated.
I hope we all read the article wrong, but I didn't feel comfortable with what had been done, or maybe what hadn't been done.
What makes your opinion more correct than the person you complained about giving theirs?

Old March 10th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default jade crew death

I posted to Mr. Walkers site. Before slamming the cruiselines we need to see that over 4, 000 Americans die each year in the workplace. I was an OSHA compliance officer for 12 years.Too many US employers do not get it as far as safety goes.
Per NCL, s own employees they have high safety standards. Several posted on Jim Walker, s web page.

Old March 10th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: A perpetually fog shrouded wasteland below the arctic peaks of the Zokov islands.

4000 dead does not make 4001 ok. Nor do hopes for an investigation constitute slamming a cruiseline. And the OP may have a bias. Let's see how this turns out. Hopefully NCL and the industry and other entities will investigate, and improve practices as discoveries warrant (helmets, or whatever). An OSHA investigator should know that investigations lead to new best practices. Something I hope we all aspire to. So that the crew member did not die in vain. GMCOLT seems to have minimal expectations for his/her job. Yes, people will die on the job, but the question is how to minimize premature loss of life - and this is a question for insurers, government at so many levels, every employer, etc. And one has to factor in costs vs. benefits - how to save the most lives for the least cost. We can't afford it all. So set a price, and maximize the number saved. I say all that b/c I am aware of the complexities. But I still want an investigation/s, and lessons learned applied. If this were an airplane, there might be a costly search for the black boxes, reconstruction of the accident, etc. That high bar is not aspired to here.

Last edited by Burpelson; March 10th, 2013 at 01:49 AM.

Old March 10th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is very sad indeed for the crew member and his family and friends. Don't cruise ships companies normally make a statement about an incident like this?

SAILED!

Azamara Quest - Azamara Club Cruises - Honeymoon cruise to the Greek Islands and Turkey - June 2014
7 nights (Balcony)
REVIEW! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063572

Norwegian Jade - NCL - Eastern Med from Rome - March 2013 - 10 nights (Mini Suite Balcony) REVIEW! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=kikki21

Norwegian Epic - NCL - Hurricane Earl West/East
Caribbean special from Miami - August 2010 - 7 nights (Balcony)

Splendour of the Seas - RCCL - Eastern Med from Venice - October 2009 - 7 nights (Outside)

Celebrity Galaxy - Celebrity - Eastern Med from Rome - October 2008 - 10 nights (Concierge Class Balcony)

Majesty of the Seas - RCCL - Bahamas from Miami - Nov 2007 - 4 nights (Outside)