Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Northern Europe & Baltics

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Northern Europe & Baltics Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn

Old February 9th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Oslo - on your own or private tour

Looking to draw upon the experiences of those of you who have had Oslo as a port of call. Was there just enough to see touring on your own, or did you go on a guided tour with a private tour operator?

If so, can anyone recommend a private tour guide that they had a good experience with?

glenn

Old February 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just went on our own. It was easy and Oslo is a very walkable city. We took the ferry and then walked to the Viking Ships and Kon Tiki museums and then back to the city and walked, had lunch and visited the Resistance museum which I highly recommend. Lots of time left for shopping and/or people watching.

"I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list."
- Susan Sontag

Prior Cruises:
NCL (1); HAL - Prinsendam, Volendam (2), Statendam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Veendam (2), Rotterdam (4); Crown Princess; Ryndam
Last cruise:
Ryndam, Southern & Western Caribbean, 2013
Next up:
nothing planned

Old February 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just went on our own. It was easy and Oslo is a very walkable city. We took the ferry and then walked to the Viking Ships and Kon Tiki museums and then back to the city and walked, had lunch and visited the Resistance museum which I highly recommend. Lots of time left for shopping and/or people watching.

"I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list."
- Susan Sontag

Prior Cruises:
NCL (1); HAL - Prinsendam, Volendam (2), Statendam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Veendam (2), Rotterdam (4); Crown Princess; Ryndam
Last cruise:
Ryndam, Southern & Western Caribbean, 2013
Next up:
nothing planned

Old February 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We also went on our own. In the morning, we took the Ferry over to the museums and went to the outdoor craft museum. Then in the afternoon, we walked around downtown and went to the national museum. It was a great day, especially since the there were festivities because the crown prince was getting married.

Old February 9th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

We went on our own. We got off the ship early and walked around for a while until the sites opened. We visited the city hall and the art museum. We also visited the Fortress where we took a tour in English. This was a highlight of the day and I can't imagine paying for a tour from the ship - the Fortress is right next to where the ship docks. The Resistance Museum is next to the Fortress, but we did not have enough time for that.

Old February 9th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We took the subway to the Vigeland Sculpture Park, a cab to the peninsula to see the Kon-Tiki, Viking Ship and Fram Museums, and a ferry back to the ship. Great day.