Getaway to New York as Floating Hotel for Super Bowl Week!

Phamer55

NCL announced some modifications this week to Getaways' inaugural cruises. The transatlantic now will be going to New York instead of Miami. There the ship will be chartered. Hmmm, why would the ship be going to New York in late January next year, any big events scheduled? Well, look at that, the Super Bowl! I think it's fairly obvious she's being chartered as a floating hotel for Super Bowl week! I haven't seen any announcements yet, but I think this is a good guess.

I am sailing on the Getaway from Southampton and we are to arrive in NYC on Monday the 26th of January. I think that there will be a 2 night Cruise To Nowhere and be docked for the Super Bowl. I received the notice of the change of itinerary on the 19th of August.

That's odd. One would think that in the NY/NJ area in January there would be plenty of hotel rooms. Am I wrong about that?

For the superbowl??? Heck - I may just have to rent my house out, and go stay in Florida - I can make a killing for that. There won't be a hotel available anywhere near here.

Impossible or very expensive. Just ask those now getting off the Getaway in NYC as they search for hotel space post cruise. :eek::mad:

I will gladly rent out space to sleep on my living room floor at $1000 per night. Bring your own sleeping bag. Comes complete with continental breakfast (I will buy some English muffins...). :rolleyes:

I will gladly rent out space to sleep on my living room floor at $1000 per night. Bring your own sleeping bag. Comes complete with continental breakfast (I will buy some English muffins...). :rolleyes:

I am way closer to the stadium :D $5,000 a night and I'll make you breakfast.

my friend just booked the Hyatt for superbowl weekend I think he is also catching a knicks game hyatt usually goes for 300-500 he paid 750 for the hotel:eek: without all the lovely taxes lol, oh and btw that was there smaller room

I would think that the Super Bowl would be easy to sell out in the New York market even if no local teams were in it. So they must be planning to force people to buy an expensive "package", that would include food, lodging, other entertainment, transportation, etc. to add to the big profits

(and to the local economy) in order to even purchase a game ticket.

Think how much the hotels, restaurants, and other businesses would lose if all the seats were purchased by locals.......:rolleyes:

I am sailing on the Getaway from Southampton and we are to arrive in NYC on Monday the 26th of January. I think that there will be a 2 night Cruise To Nowhere and be docked for the Super Bowl. I received the notice of the change of itinerary on the 19th of August.

Norwegian said the charter extends from Jan. 29 to Feb. 5.

It would make sense then, a 2 or 3 night cruise to nowhere from the 26th to 29th and then the "charter" takes over for a week from the 29th to the 5th, with the 2nd being the Super Bowl.

Do you think the Getaway will be docked from the 29th to the 5th as part of some Super Bowl package? I can't imagine the port fees.

Norwegian said the charter extends from Jan. 29 to Feb. 5.

It would make sense then, a 2 or 3 night cruise to nowhere from the 26th to 29th and then the "charter" takes over for a week from the 29th to the 5th, with the 2nd being the Super Bowl.

Do you think the Getaway will be docked from the 29th to the 5th as part of some Super Bowl package? I can't imagine the port fees.

The 2 night cruise to nowhere for the travel industry is on the 27th. The interesting thing is how they will handle both the Breakaway and Getaway at the pier at the same time since only one gangway is usable by those ships without dropping some lifeboats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

The 2 night cruise to nowhere for the travel industry is on the 27th. The interesting thing is how they will handle both the Breakaway and Getaway at the pier at the same time since only one gangway is usable by those ships without dropping some lifeboats.

and since the Super Bowl is on Sunday the 2nd, that's when the Breakaway is scheduled to arrive/depart.

and since the Super Bowl is on Sunday the 2nd, that's when the Breakaway is scheduled to arrive/depart.

Good luck to those passengers finding air and pre cruise hotels unless they have big bucks.

Right now however a quick check I can get air one way Tampa to JFK for $91 on the first or second. Hotels another story cheapest $400 a night Fairfield Inn up to $1700 for 2-4 star hotels.

On the Inaugural Breakaway arrival we dropped some lifeboats to dock on the Intrepid side.

8728096617_6a9108e27d_c.jpg

Docked at Manhattan cruise terminal by single_cruiser, on Flickr

I'm disappointed that the two day cruise to nowhere is for the travel industry. :(. I would have loved the possibility of a mid week getaway for hubby and I on the getaway. :)

On the Inaugural Breakaway arrival we dropped some lifeboats to dock on the Intrepid side.

8728096617_6a9108e27d_c.jpg

Docked at Manhattan cruise terminal by single_cruiser, on Flickr

I was not aware of that....so only Berth Two, the north side of Pier 88 can accommodate the Breakaway class ships with their lifeboats intact?

I wonder why they don't modify the Berth One, the south side of Pier 88 to allow it also? Not enough space perhaps, or just the extra expense, that normally would not be necessary?

I suppose that Pier 90 cannot handle them at all on either side.....

With more ever-larger ships coming to New York, it is time to revamp the whole terminal to accommodate them, or lose out to other ports....

Here we go again. Folks think they can get rich renting out their apt/house, etc.

In Atlanta, people were renting houses 100 miles away for a all kinds of crazy dollars. 10 miles away was crazy.

Those that waiting until 2 weeks before could get 2 bedroom condos within walking distance for $100 a night. (we did).

Just have to laugh. You would think a few million people were going to the superbowl. Guess what - only the same number as they have for normal games.

Just have to laugh. You would think a few million people were going to the superbowl. Guess what - only the same number as they have for normal games.

For a normal game most are season tickets holders and come to the game from thier homes. The new stadium seats 82,500 tickets holders and then there is out of town media and support staff.

Archived