Australian ETA

This isn't a cruise related query, but I'm hoping some Australian citizen can enlighten me. I know an ETA is valid for 12 months and you can come and go as often as you like provided each visit is limited to a maximum of 3 months. Is there a limit on the number of times you can apply for an ETA e.g could you apply and reapply on an annual basis indefinitely? We have friends who intend to do just that while travelling the South Pacific and I'm not entirely sure they have their facts straight. I can't find any answer on the Australian Immigration web-site.

Thanks

Be careful don't stretch your luck .

From the Australian Government website :

"Repeat visits

An ETA is not designed to allow repeated extended stays in Australia. If you want to spend long periods in Australia for tourism purposes you can consider applying for Visitor visa (subclass 600) or an alternative Visa that suits your purposes."

Is there a limit on the number of times you can apply for an ETA e.g could you apply and reapply on an annual basis indefinitely?
Yes, you can have ETAs year after year after year. Indeed, you have to do this if you visit Australia a couple of times a year, every year. There are many of us who would feel naked if we didn't have a valid ETA at all times (or eVisitor for me now).

However, I agree with you that your friends' story seems to be garbled. I have doubts as to whether they're really travelling around the South Pacific for many years on end. As you say, they would only need one ETA for any number of entries to Australia during the year of that ETA's validity.

Edited by Globaliser

Yes, you can have ETAs year after year after year. Indeed, you have to do this if you visit Australia a couple of times a year, every year. There are many of us who would feel naked if we didn't have a valid ETA at all times (or eVisitor for me now).

However, I agree with you that your friends' story seems to be garbled. I have doubts as to whether they're really travelling around the South Pacific for many years on end. As you say, they would only need one ETA for any number of entries to Australia during the year of that ETA's validity.

Hi Globaliser,

What is the difference between the ETA and eVisitor?? do I just need one of these?

The gov site shows three types of visa ?

Thanks

Sarah

What is the difference between the ETA and eVisitor?
A British citizen will now only need an eVisitor. These are for short stay holidays and similar visits by people of the following nationalities, and are free of charge.
  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany