Balconies and Kids

Eiansmomma

We are cruising in December on the Carnival Pride with our 3 kids. They are 11, 8 and 4. Am I the only one that is ever nervous about one of the kids falling overboard? Although I shouldn't be.... our house has a 2nd story deck that the kids play on all the time - they have been taught not to push things to the side and look over etc. and our summer resort vacations have suites with balconies usually on a high floor and I've never had a problem with them climbing etc

But something about the thought of them falling into the ocean to never be seen again scares the crap out of me!

How high are the railings? Can others that have traveled with children put my mind at ease please? We have 2 balcony rooms and we are hoping to have the divider opened so we can move between both rooms easily via the balcony instead of going between them via the hallway.

Thanks!

While we haven't sailed Carnival, I can assure you that our children have survived 4 cruises with balconies :). We do have some rules, namely no one on the balcony without an adult's knowledge and supervision, no horseplay on the balcony and no toys. I don't want someone jumping over the railing for a Hot Wheels car! Our youngest was 3 yrs when we first sailed and while initially I was terrified, the railings are tall and certainly able to protect a child.

They are at least as high as your deck at home. I'm 5'11" and they come up to about 6" above my waist sort of mid chest, at least on Princess. We did a TA on the QE2 with a 9 and 7 year old and had no worries. I put the fear of God into them by saying if I caught them climbing on any of the ships railings outside or inside the ship they would be banned to the cabin. Seemed to work cause that was over 20 years ago and they are still here.

While we haven't sailed Carnival' date=' I can assure you that our children have survived 4 cruises with balconies :). We do have some rules, namely no one on the balcony without an adult's knowledge and supervision, no horseplay on the balcony and no toys. I don't want someone jumping over the railing for a Hot Wheels car! Our youngest was 3 yrs when we first sailed and while initially I was terrified, the railings are tall and certainly able to protect a child.[/quote']

The Hot Wheels car statement made me chuckles:D Thanks!

All very good rules too!

They are at least as high as your deck at home. I'm 5'11" and they come up to about 6" above my waist sort of mid chest, at least on Princess. We did a TA on the QE2 with a 9 and 7 year old and had no worries. I put the fear of God into them by saying if I caught them climbing on any of the ships railings outside or inside the ship they would be banned to the cabin. Seemed to work cause that was over 20 years ago and they are still here.

I will be threatening mine as well! Thank you :)

I put the fear of God in mine by telling them there is no way to ACCIDENTALLY get over any rail on the ship. If I hear kid overboard and it's you, then the sharks are going to be kinder to them than I will be. My daughter asked, what does that mean, I said, mama just want you to stay away from the rails and never climb up on them. Of course she replied, why would anyone do something that stupid, shouldn't you be talking to my brother:D

I put the fear of God in mine by telling them there is no way to ACCIDENTALLY get over any rail on the ship. If I hear kid overboard and it's you, then the sharks are going to be kinder to them than I will be. My daughter asked, what does that mean, I said, mama just want you to stay away from the rails and never climb up on them. Of course she replied, why would anyone do something that stupid, shouldn't you be talking to my brother:D

I have one boy and two girls....and it is always my son that I catch myself saying: now why would you do that and think that it was a good idea?!?!

We cruised with my niece in a balcony in January on the Pride. She was great. There is no conceivable way to slide under the balcony railing since there is a small divot for water to flow out. I'm 5"4 and there's no way I could go over the balcony without a lot of assistance (a'la a chair or table).

I would make sure they are well aware of the ground rules and consequences since it's a matter of safety.

everyone has really helped to put my mind at ease - thank you so much!!

We will be having a "family meeting" in the morning before we board the ship. I will be going over etiquette, rules and such then! Balcony/deck safety will surely be on my list!

Thanks again!

My wife and I were living in fear of this happening when we took our 4 y/o son on his first cruise this past September. And then we took our first steps out on the balcony, my son turns to me and says...."daddy, you need to listen. You need to be very careful. That water is very deep (pointing to the ocean)." I looked at my wife, and she said no me, I didn't teach him that - must have been school. It was too cute, and we relaxed a bit after that. Of course, we stressed and hovered the whole time he was in the pool...lol

My wife and I were living in fear of this happening when we took our 4 y/o son on his first cruise this past September. And then we took our first steps out on the balcony, my son turns to me and says...."daddy, you need to listen. You need to be very careful. That water is very deep (pointing to the ocean)." I looked at my wife, and she said no me, I didn't teach him that - must have been school. It was too cute, and we relaxed a bit after that. Of course, we stressed and hovered the whole time he was in the pool...lol

That's adorable!!

My youngest is also 4. I'm bringing her arm floaties for her to use in the the pool. I have 3 kids and it's difficult (next to impossible) to keep an eye on all 3 of them at the same time. It's nice to have a little "back-up"

That is cute!

I recently got a text from my son, now a freshman in college, sincerely apologizing for being a royal pain on family vacations. He promised to make up every vacation he made uncomfortable for me or didn't seemed thankful for. I looked at the time of the text 1:50 am and said to DH, do you think he has been drinking and shouldn't he be asleep getting ready for class. Strange enough, he won a scholarship and a place in a business honors program for an essay he wrote based on his travel experience. I guess less the part where me drove me crazy and stressed me out! I reminded him he was on the biggest vacation of all, make the trip worthwhile, no more apologies or regrets.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Once you are on the ship, you will realize the ONLY way for your child to get over the railing is for you to throw him off......no worries!

hahahahahaha!!!! That made me giggle because I can almost hear myself threatening that at some point during the cruise!!

LOL...still laughing!!

Once you are on the ship, you will realize the ONLY way for your child to get over the railing is for you to throw him off......no worries!

I disagree.

Where there is balcony furniture, there is always potential for a child to climb......

Never leave a child unattended on the balcony.

I disagree.

Where there is balcony furniture, there is always potential for a child to climb......

Never leave a child unattended on the balcony.

Other than my kids who know if they climb the shark might be kinder than me, I am pretty sure the OP realizes this:D

Other than my kids who know if they climb the shark might be kinder than me, I am pretty sure the OP realizes this:D

Thank you, yes I do! Just looking for reassurance that they can't just hop, skip and jump over ;) I always supervise on our balcony (deck) at home - and have repeated over and over that chairs are for sitting and we stand on nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

99.999% chance of no problems. But, why not just get them an inside room across from you? No worries and extra $ from savings.

Honestly, I'm a worrier. If I had 3 little ones, I'd be a nervous wreck.

They aren't staying in a room by themselves. I'm staying with 1 and my husband is staying with 2. If we did what you suggested I'm sure we would end up spending more time in the room with the view anyway...LOL

When was the last time you heard/read of a child falling overboard from a balcony...It's the drunk adults :eek::D

Somewhere on here I read a story about a dive team that was on a ship. When they pulled into port one of them thought it would be funny to swan dive off the ship - YIKES!!!! :eek:

99.999% chance of no problems. But, why not just get them an inside room across from you? No worries and extra $ from savings.

Honestly, I'm a worrier. If I had 3 little ones, I'd be a nervous wreck.

That's better odds of them returning safely from school. Another place I insist that mine go to. At some point you simple whisper Lord thy will be done!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

Kids that are too young to be listen or understand, watch them and never let them out of your sight :D

IMHO rules on the ship are the same as at home; in the driveway playing, at the park, in the shopping mall. Fall over board or run into the street whats the difference both have a terrible ending :eek:

On a serious note the balcony is/would be the least of my worries for the little ones.