Hawaii airfare

wasup254

I watched as the airfare was getting higher and higher and then I thought, what if I broke up the air fare in sections..sooo

Fort Lauderdale to LAX = 124 American (non stop)

LAX to HNL = 160 Hawaiian Airline

San Diego to Fort Lauderdale = 130 Air tran

total 414 each

When I placed the above in as a multi city trip, cheapest was 508...sooo..what if we have to go get the luggage when we land and move it to Hawaii Airlines. we have a 6 hour lay over, it is the SAME flights as we were seeing on the multi city trip search engine

I will now go to each web site and book away and same almost 100 dollars on each person....more money for the Hawaiian excursions..lol

Has anyone else done this???

Marlene

I would call the American Airlines toll-free number (800-433-7300) and ask if you can check your luggage all the way thru on the outbound. The fact that you can book it thru American, even at more money than you'd like to spend, indicates that they do have an interline agreement with Hawaiian that includes luggage transfers. If your phone call confirms what I suspect, ask the American check-in agent at FLL to tag your luggage thru to final destination. Due to security concerns and company policies, you may need to show proof of that onward Hawaiian flight.

I didnot know we could ask for our luggage togo through...we do have the flight the same as if we booked it multicity, so you are right, we can ask to send it through....I will be asking....

Thanks

Recognize that if your FLL-LAX flight is delayed or canceled, AA has NO responsibility to get you any further than to LAX. Beyond that, HA will likely cancel your ticket if you don't make your flight -- or at least consider you a "no show" on your own account. Being late and missing your flight due to a mechanical on AA will leave you in a difficult position with HA.

Six hours at LAX is plenty of time to claim and recheck your luggage. I wouldn't even ask AA.

The loyal AA flier that I am, I would not trust your luggage to a terminal 4 to terminal 2 transfer at LAX. HA and AA are inter island partners only. Your luggage most likely could be checked through, but again I wouldn't take the chance.

As Flyertalker posted, the only real problem you could have is if the AA flight is late or cancelled out of Florida. And on two-airline flights on different tickets, I ALWAYS claim and recheck my luggage (even though it can be a hassle that I don't have to have). At least I know it made it part way and if there is a problem, much easier to track.

IF AA is going to be over 6 hours late, or canceled, we can always call HAwaiian airlines, yes, we need to rebook for a later flight...or next day...this flight combination is listed on many web sites that allow you to search multi city...so I am hoping for the best.....

I think we will claim our luggage and move it outselves to the terminal where the flight to Honolulu is located...

Our cruise doesnt leave till 9-29, we leave 9-26 for Hawaii

Has anyone else done this one way booking?

Marlene

IF AA is going to be over 6 hours late, or canceled, we can always call HAwaiian airlines, yes, we need to rebook for a later flight...or next day...this flight combination is listed on many web sites that allow you to search multi city...so I am hoping for the best.....

I think we will claim our luggage and move it outselves to the terminal where the flight to Honolulu is located...

Our cruise doesnt leave till 9-29, we leave 9-26 for Hawaii

Has anyone else done this one way booking?

Marlene

You will be fine. Claim and recheck your luggage on Hawaiian. Unless something has changed since November, HA flies out of terminal 2. AA flies into terminal 4.

Walk outside terminal 4 baggage claim and get on the airport shuttle. Around the airport to term 2 and check in. You will be A-OK with your plans. Enjoy!!!

I was thinking of doing something similar. We're about a 4-5 hour flight to the west coast and have younger children, so I was thinking about a late afternoon flight to the west cost, staying overnight at an airport hotel, then fly out to Honolulu in the morning.

Does anyone have a recommendation which west coast city generally has the best deals to Honolulu and which airline?

I was thinking of doing something similar. We're about a 4-5 hour flight to the west coast and have younger children, so I was thinking about a late afternoon flight to the west cost, staying overnight at an airport hotel, then fly out to Honolulu in the morning.

Does anyone have a recommendation which west coast city generally has the best deals to Honolulu and which airline?

Los Angeles usually. Hawaiian, Aloha. Also the charter Pleasant Hawaiian Holiday (do a google search-I think they changed the name to just Hawaiian Holidays) often has some REALLY cheap package deals-hotel/air/car. If you don't need the hotel or car, just don't stay in the hotel or pick up the car.

Site 59-AA vacation affiliate also often has package deals that include very cheap airfare. Most of the packages are cheaper than airfare alone. Have used Site 59 twice for Europe air and NEVER checked into the hotel I paid for.

I checked today and the air on a multi city from Fll to HNL and San Diego to FLL is now 593, I paid 414, by breaking it down to Fll to LAX, LAX to HNL and then SAN to FLL....at one time the multi city was 477, that is when I split the multi city up and booked the inidividual flights....thatwas on Wed and today Friday is 593...

LA is the best flight costs to HNL.....I checked them all....I got 159 one way to HNL from LAX on Hawaiian

Marlene

Archived