El Hierro with Fred

tring

We are scheduled to dock in La Estaca in El Hierro in November, but there does not seem to be anything there. Fred's map marks a shuttle bus point by the port, but I do not know where one would go to from there.

Has anyone been to El Hierro on a cruise? It would seem a shame to miss out on such an unusual port call, but being 'tripped' is not something we want to do if it can be avoided.

Any information will be appreciated. I will put this on the 'ports of call' section of CC, but not many lines go there, so I thought I may be more likely to get a response here.

Edited by tring

It appears that Thomson stop there, not sure if this helps at all:

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/canary-islands-and-atlantic/puerto-de-la-estaca-port/

Iy reads like every 'excursion' is essentially a bunch of photo-stops looking at trees and rocks.

Excellent if you enjoy trees and rocks of course :)

Edited by Mark_T

If I remember correctly I visited there on the "Black Prince" many years ago. I believe it if similar to La Gomera which is a lovely, quiet island without the mass tourism of the neighboring islands. Unlike La Gomera it doesn't have a Fred. Olsen hotel!

Thanks for the useful replies.

Fred are offering two 4.5 hour trips. One to a volcanic region and volcano museum (we have seen a lot of that sort of thing), and another which sounds fairly decent and includes a 45 minute walk in a, 'Typical El Hierro landscape'. Doing a walk with a coach load of other people has limited appeal though.

The second one I mentioned costs £55 and the other about £50, so quite a high price as well. We have also discovered that we could hire a car for not much more than 30 Euros. Whether we are prepared to risk not getting back to the port for any reason if we hire a car is something we will have to think hard about though. We are in port from early am until late pm, but that could mean sailing as early as 4pm as Fred's trips are both in the morning - decisions, decisions..........

Like the comment on the Fred Olsen hotel, Parsman.

I will be sure to mention El Hierro in a review.

Thanks again,

Barbara

Edited by tring