Sitting on low beach chair = can't get back up

mia10010

Hi. I will be taking my dad who is 81 on his first cruise next week. One of the stops will be at a private island, Great Stirrup Cay. My dad can not sit on a beach chair, because it is too low. It would be very very hard for him to get up. I'm also wondering about him sitting around the pool area. We have a few of those sports chairs that fold up and go in a little bag that you can carry across the shoulder. Would it be crazy to bring the chair for him? Would it even be allowed?

That's the only solution I can think of. Does anyone else have other ideas? Thanks so much in advance for any info or help with this matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Around the pool are real chairs, not only "lounge" chairs...so you won't need to bring a chair there. As far as the beach, you may want to bring something higher for him, or perhaps he'd be more comfortable not staying on the beach all day...the ship is open and available all day!

Also you may not have to bring from home. If you are arriving at port a day early just check out the local walmart/Target/KMart. We always do, I buy a pillow I like, a cheap toothbrush holder (okay, I like toothbrush holders! :rolleyes:), water or whatever we forgot. Then we just take with when we board. We have also kept car rental until after boarding. we then get off ship make our kmart run and then turn in car.

Have Fun! Enjoy your Dad. I got to take a cruise with my Dad at 84. We lost him the next year so those memories are extra special!

PS- Even weirder than toothbrush holder...a bathroom rug. Hate standing on a cold floor! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We used to spend our summers on the Mississippi River boating and traveling on the river. We started out with the beach chairs where you basically sit with you "bottom" in the sand, then we switched to slightly higher ones about 15 yrs. ago. Now we like the ones where you don't need a crane to help you get out of them! I think taking a bag chair along is a great idea! :)

Hi. I will be taking my dad who is 81 on his first cruise next week. One of the stops will be at a private island, Great Stirrup Cay. My dad can not sit on a beach chair, because it is too low. It would be very very hard for him to get up. I'm also wondering about him sitting around the pool area. We have a few of those sports chairs that fold up and go in a little bag that you can carry across the shoulder. Would it be crazy to bring the chair for him? Would it even be allowed?

That's the only solution I can think of. Does anyone else have other ideas? Thanks so much in advance for any info or help with this matter.

I know the portable sports chair you are talking about. I've seen several people on different cruises bring this type onboard with their carry-on. I say if you have used on sand before and knows it will work for your father, then by all means bring it with you. After all it is his cruise too and he should make the most of it.

Archived