World Cruise - house/contents insurance ?

Foxman50

Does anyone have any experience of getting house & contents insurance to cover long periods of the property being unoccupied? My current UK insurer covers 60 days max which I managed (after a lot of problems) to get extended to 63 days to cover a part World Cruise last year, but I'm booked on a full one next year (114 nights) which I know is going to be a problem to get full cover! Most insurers seem to insist on weekly property visits which is just not possible in our situation (monthly I can arrange). Any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

We hired a professional security company to visit and monitor the house randomly twice a week whilst we are away for extended periods. Friends and neighbors shouldn't be responsible for this.

The security company monitors the temperatures to ensure no pipe freezing in cold weather, picks up unwanted stray flyers and notices that are dropped at the house, walks around the property to inspect windows and doors, drive by the property in well-marked cars, change the position of drapes and curtains, etc.

We consider their fees to be part of the cost of travel. We can communicate with them, and vice-versa, via phone, text, or email. Makes me feel more relaxed about leaving the property.

Is there no odd-job man in the neighbourhood who would come round once or twice a week? All ours had to do was move the post, empty the dehumidifier in the cellar, and ring the fire brigade if the place was on fire. (He wasn't called on to do the third part.) Treat it as part of the cost of the holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

We would just point out the the situation for Europeans is somewhat different then here in the USA. With many US insurance policies, there is little problem in being away for long periods of time.

Hank

We would just point out the the situation for Europeans is somewhat different then here in the USA. With many US insurance policies, there is little problem in being away for long periods of time.

Hank

That surprises me.

In Canada many home owner policies now require a residence not be empty for longer than 72 hours. A rider is generally required to allow for longer absences.

I guess the takeaway is one should check one's policy.

Edited by broberts

Our lovely neighbors haven't been "home" for over four years. We keep in touch via Facebook and phone as needed, and our paths crossed in Europe last year for a nice lunch together. We care for their home with weekly checks and daily post pick up--when something other than junk mail arrives, I open and scan it to email to her. (Of course this is by her request) I even go over and clean the toilets and sweep out the dead bugs a couple times a year--not that they have ever asked, just because it only takes me 30 minutes or so and I do it because it is nice and neighborly. I "pay it forward."

We have a lovely neighborhood in that respect. I had a serious medical issue a few years ago and several neighbors brought in dinners so I wouldn't have to shop or cook for my family for a couple of weeks. Another neighbor has walked my dogs when I have been in a pinch and the pet sitter wasn't available. Our other neighbors travel often, and we bring in their mail and any parcels. I walk and feed another neighbors dog now and then. It just seems like the thing to do.

That surprises me.

In Canada many home owner policies now require a residence not be empty for longer than 72 hours. A rider is generally required to allow for longer absences.

I guess the takeaway is one should check one's policy.

This thread really got my attention...so I just called our insurance agent to double check our coverage when on long cruises or when we live in Mexico (as snowbirds). Our policy has no limitations for vacations (we were even surprised by this provision). Our agent did mention that some other US policies do have limitations (sometimes 60 days).

Hank