Car Hire Cannes

coxswain

Anyone hired a car in Cannes - close to the tender point/ which companies.

Avis has a small office about 10 minutes walk up Blvd. de la Croissette (on Rue La Tour Maubourg across from the Hotel Martinez), probably a 15 minutes walk from the tender dock. There is another car hire office (Europcar perhaps?) a bit further up the same street (same side, before you get to Rue Rouaze).

We have used several rental car companies in Cannes, but since we are currently traveling I do not have my detailed info. But, Europcar, Budget and I think Hertz all have locations in town although they are about a 20 min walk from the tender port. Be careful to check on the opening hours as we recall that Budget used to not open until 9am on some days. We usually try to get on one of the first tenders and have often picked up our car by around 8 am (we love to get to St Paul de Vence by around 9 to beat the crowds).

Hank

We have used several rental car companies in Cannes, but since we are currently traveling I do not have my detailed info. But, Europcar, Budget and I think Hertz all have locations in town although they are about a 20 min walk from the tender port. Be careful to check on the opening hours as we recall that Budget used to not open until 9am on some days. We usually try to get on one of the first tenders and have often picked up our car by around 8 am (we love to get to St Paul de Vence by around 9 to beat the crowds).

Hank

I think we'll just turn up on the day and arrange car hire - thank you.

jj......

A quick note about the address for Avis....it's widely advertised as being at 69 la Croissette. While this may be true as far as the mailman is concerned, you won't actually find it there. We learned the hard way, after walking all the way around the block counter-clockwise (which is how I'm able to tell you about the other car rental agency, further up La Tour Maubourg). On the corner of la Croissette and La Tour Maubourg is a cafe (at number 72 la Croissette), and Avis is next to it.

I think we'll just turn up on the day and arrange car hire - thank you.

jj......

This is not always a good idea. It generally costs nothing to reserve a car with any of the majors and there is usually no penalty for no-shows. By reserving in advance, you can often get a lower rate (sometimes it can be 30- 50% lower). When you arrive, if you see a lower rate than there is nothing stopping you from taking advantage of the better deal. It is a win-win when you reserve as long as you do not need to make a deposit and there is no cancellation penalty. And by the way, several of the majors have their offices on the Rue d'Antibes which pretty much parallels the Croissette but is about 2-3 blocks inland. These offices are at the opposite end of town from the tender pier and is an easy 3/4 mile walk through some of the nicest parts of Cannes.

Hank

Europcar is open on Sundays (they open at 9) but you need to be aware that they close at 5. They used to allow for a drop after closing, but I am not sure about the current policy. You might to call their toll free number and have them check directly with the location or give you a direct e-mail address. But, if you are just planning on going to Nice and MC you might want to just use the train. Also keep in mind that on Sundays, most of the shops are closed in France unless you go to a place like St Paul de Vence where Sunday is the big day. There is also a great flower market in Nice on Sunday mornings, but you need to get there before noon since everything is closed by 1.

Hank

Archived