Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Disney Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disney Cruise Line
Read Disney Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Disney Cruise Deals.

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Fear of Heights?

Friends of ours are considering joining us on our Fantasy cruise in February. The main thing holding them back is that their 11 year old is afraid of heights. I told them that the ship is so massive that unless you go to side and look down, you really don't get a feel for how high up you are and that if she stayed off of the very top deck where there are railings instead of windows, she'd be fine. I just want to make sure thsi was accurate. Any of you out there afraid of heights and have no issues (or have issues) on a DCL cruise?

DCL Dream - Feb. 2012
DCL Wonder - Feb. 2013

NCL Breakaway - Jul. 2013
DCL Fantasy - Feb. 2014
NCL Breakaway - Jul. 2014 (Yup, we're going again!)

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydee718 View Post
Friends of ours are considering joining us on our Fantasy cruise in February. The main thing holding them back is that their 11 year old is afraid of heights. I told them that the ship is so massive that unless you go to side and look down, you really don't get a feel for how high up you are and that if she stayed off of the very top deck where there are railings instead of windows, she'd be fine. I just want to make sure thsi was accurate. Any of you out there afraid of heights and have no issues (or have issues) on a DCL cruise?
This is very true, unless you go to the edge and look straight down you normally do not have any issue, if your on deck and look at the horizon its normally fine.

There might be a slight issue on the first part of Aquaduck as its a clear tube and you go over the side of the ship but you can avoid it, and actually overall its tame.

My son has had a fear of heights but hasn't had any problem on the ship.

The lower decks where its enclosed and close to the vibration of the sea and engines might be an issue, so suggest a stateroom in the middle of the ship, middle deck.
  • Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western.Trip report. Here
  • I have a RCI blog as well here.
  • Disney Magic Cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
  • Over 16 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess

Last edited by DISNEY FANTASY; March 10th, 2013 at 07:51 AM.

Old March 10th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb

Might also want to avoid the hot tubs; they overhang the sides and have glass bottoms, so you're looking straight down to the water. There are also a few glass panels in the floors adjacent to the hot tubs.
DCL "Fantasy" - February '13 - 7 night Eastern

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am so terrified of heights that I cannot go on rollar coasters, look up at tall buildings,once at a Holiday Inn we were upgraded to the 7th floor. I not only could not use the balcony, but could not go to the window.

However on ships these fears just go away. I love standing by the railing and looking out. I enjoyed the overhanging hot tub. You might want to discourage her for looking over the railing inside the ship, but I think she will do fine.
Carnival Freedom July 3 2010
Carnival Freedom July 24 2011
Carnival Freedom October 10 2011
Carnival Glory October 22 2012

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

My DW is deathly afraid of heights. She doesn't like going out on the balcony when we first board the ship, but after that she's fine including using the balcony during port visits.

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am not a fan of heights but have had to overcome a few in the past and the ships don't really bother me as long as I am not too close to the rail. For a child hopefully they will be so excited about things they won't think about it too much once they are on board.

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:04 AM
5,000+ Club

I hate heights so much I have trouble getting on a step ladder. Looking over the rail at the water on a ship I am fine.
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014

World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY FANTASY View Post
This is very true, unless you go to the edge and look straight down you normally do not have any issue, if your on deck and look at the horizon its normally fine.

There might be a slight issue on the first part of Aquaduck as its a clear tube and you go over the side of the ship but you can avoid it, and actually overall its tame.

My son has had a fear of heights but hasn't had any problem on the ship.

The lower decks where its enclosed and close to the vibration of the sea and engines might be an issue, so suggest a stateroom in the middle of the ship, middle deck.

Yeap...this, just as DF said.....unless you intentionaly go to the railing and look over.......you won't even know your up high!

AKK

Old March 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

I used to be afraid of heights also. My good stepfather took me out to the balcony, held me from my ankles and hung me upside down from the 12th story for about 15 minutes.
I'm all cured now, but my ankles still hurt!

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm afraid of heights but have no problem looking into the horizon on the ship. I'm ok sitting down on the verandah...but get wobbly legs when standing near the railing. lol