Roatan Havana Beach Club

Guest 2000

Apologies, yes that is the place..see the volleyball court on the sand in blue? I was only over there once and the volleyball was going full bore.. not the least bit relaxing. I s'pose one's enjoyment is effected by so very many things. I would not hesitate to go for food but spending the day seeking quiet.. nahh.

Diversity makes the world go round. Good on you for finding a spot you love.

I think the difference is that we go in the late afternoon & it is quiet.

We watch an amazing sunset & swim a little & relax.

I've only seen one volleyball game and it was when we went earlier.

So, it also depends on when you go.

I agree that a ship day in midday is probably not my cup of tea either.

I'd head east - Paya By probably.

I might check out Havana Beach Club - it's web site shows a very nice beach.

If it was busy, I would just leave.

We know the chef there and his food is awesome.

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

I heard back from Jack very promptly using the link on his website. He is charging $30 per person for transportation, chair and welcome drink. He said he's 30 minutes from Coxen Hall. We are going in two weeks and I will report back.

I heard back from Jack very promptly using the link on his website. He is charging $30 per person for transportation, chair and welcome drink. He said he's 30 minutes from Coxen Hall. We are going in two weeks and I will report back.

Good to hear they are responding at last. That is the link I used twice already with no results. I was surprised they didn't reply if they are trying to promote a new image. We have made alternative arrangements for November now but look forward to your review for another time.

• 3 months later...

We are going in March and looking for an inexpensive excursion. Was the beach to your liking?

I think I've mentioned that we are vacationing on Roatan right now.

We have a few favorite spots.

Havana beach Club is amazing.

No need to leave for lunch.

Jack has wonderful lion fish and other things on his emu.

The view of the beach is great.

You can walk out on the beach for many yards and still have a dry bathing suit.

You can't go wrong here.

You can rent horses and ride the trails and on the beach.

We go here at least once a week.

Cal's is also wonderful.

The view from the top of the mountain (hill) is breathtaking and his food is wonderful.

This is just for eating, nothing else to do there.

We also like Castaways at Blue Lagoon.

It is the closest place to both ports.

It is on the main road, not far from the airport and the ports.

It has wonderful food, a small beach, a swimming pool with changing rooms, kayaks, and other activities.

No cover charge.

Owner is from Myrtle Beach, Manager is from Waco, TX.

All three places are fairly quiet - very few cruise folks go to any of them, but tour guides and taxi drivers know the location of all three - or they should.

There are many good restaurants and places to go on the island.

We frequent other places also, but these happen to be our favorites.

Judy

We are going to be in Roatan in April and I keep coming back to this place. I think this is where I'm leaning towards. Couple of questions though.

Does anyone know what the snorkeling is like here. I don't think there's much off shore but they do offer a snorkeling boat to take you out.

This would be the north part of the island? What is the water like here? It looks very shallow for a long way so is it usually calm then? We have kids.

Our kids want to zip line more than anything. Is there a good zip line place on the way to HBC?

Thanks for any info you can provide. Laura.

What is the best way to get to Havana Beach Club from Mahogany Bay?

Walk out side the shopping area, turn left, walk over the hill past the main gate, and find a taxi driver to take you there, and arrange a time for him to pick you up for return. Make sure you understand the full costs round trip (they can bring you back to the shopping gate) and are clear what what time to pick you up (Roatan time may be different that ship time). Also get a phone number to call.

Disclosure, you can get a taxi right outside the shopping area, but these taxis charge more than over the hill.

You might contact Rony's Tours or Victor Bodden Tours and see if they can arrange a tour for you which would stop at HBC. But in the end it might cost just as much.

What is the best way to get to Havana Beach Club from Mahogany Bay?

Get a taxi over the hill outside the shopping area - and be sure that the driver knows where it is.

You will go right out of the port.

Ask him how far past Cal's restaurant you will go?

It is about 10 minutes - depending on slow cars/trucks.

This will let him know (or think) that you know the island.

Negotiate a price before you go.

It should be no more than $5.00 per person each way.

If the driver does not speak English or if he acts like he doesn't know where it is, move on and find a new driver.

If he wants more money, move to another driver.

It is a beautiful beach with great good and lots of activities, yet it is fairly quiet.

*We're going there today.

Judy

We are going to be in Roatan in April and I keep coming back to this place. I think this is where I'm leaning towards. Couple of questions though.

Does anyone know what the snorkeling is like here. I don't think there's much off shore but they do offer a snorkeling boat to take you out.

This would be the north part of the island? What is the water like here? It looks very shallow for a long way so is it usually calm then? We have kids.

Our kids want to zip line more than anything. Is there a good zip line place on the way to HBC?

Thanks for any info you can provide. Laura.

The snorkeling is good here.

Maybe better from his oat, but doable from the beach or off the dock.

It is the north side.

Swimming is good.

If there is wind, it can have waves, but not usually big.

Zip line? How old are the kids?

There is a zip line at Pirates of the Caribbean, on the way to Havana.

I am conservative & if kids are too young, I would think twice about letting them do this.

Judy

Walk out side the shopping area, turn left, walk over the hill past the main gate, and find a taxi driver to take you there, and arrange a time for him to pick you up for return. Make sure you understand the full costs round trip (they can bring you back to the shopping gate) and are clear what what time to pick you up (Roatan time may be different that ship time). Also get a phone number to call.

Disclosure, you can get a taxi right outside the shopping area, but these taxis charge more than over the hill.

You might contact Rony's Tours or Victor Bodden Tours and see if they can arrange a tour for you which would stop at HBC. But in the end it might cost just as much.

This is excellent advice.

Your directions are right on.

I don't think I would spend the money for the tour, but that is just me.

Also, if anyone really wants a tour, try Roatan Caribbean Tours, a smaller company that provides very personalized tours. I know both owners and they are great.

Judy

Get a taxi over the hill outside the shopping area - and be sure that the driver knows where it is.

You will go right out of the port.

Ask him how far past Cal's restaurant you will go?

It is about 10 minutes - depending on slow cars/trucks.

This will let him know (or think) that you know the island.

Negotiate a price before you go.

It should be no more than $5.00 per person each way.

If the driver does not speak English or if he acts like he doesn't know where it is, move on and find a new driver.

If he wants more money, move to another driver.

It is a beautiful beach with great good and lots of activities, yet it is fairly quiet.

*We're going there today.

Judy

Since the pass from Havanna Beach is $20, including transport, and day pass from the old Palm Beach used to be $10 that would make the transport $5pp each way. Why would you not advocate just setting it up with the facility and knowing that you have a driver arranged?

Are you saying, from your experience, that there isn't really a charge to use the facility any more, if you arrive independently?

Also it is my experience that the rates you can negotiate for taxis on Roatan when resident on the island do not equate to the prices cruisers can negotiate on cruise days, especially if you are leaving from a captive place like Mahogany Bay.

Since the pass from Havanna Beach is $20, including transport, and day pass from the old Palm Beach used to be $10 that would make the transport $5pp each way. Why would you not advocate just setting it up with the facility and knowing that you have a driver arranged?

Are you saying, from your experience, that there isn't really a charge to use the facility any more, if you arrive independently?

Also it is my experience that the rates you can negotiate for taxis on Roatan when resident on the island do not equate to the prices cruisers can negotiate on cruise days, especially if you are leaving from a captive place like Mahogany Bay.

You are probably right. I had not considered the entry fee.

I think I will change my suggestion and say go for the pass at $20 per person.

I had not added in the $10. That would be a win-win.

Please let me know how it goes when you make the reservation.

Judy

You are probably right. I had not considered the entry fee.

I think I will change my suggestion and say go for the pass at $20 per person.

I had not added in the $10. That would be a win-win.

Please let me know how it goes when you make the reservation.

Judy

Just checking back on this thread and re-reading I find JFontaine stated they were charging $30 for day pass, although that is not what the website says. Unfortunately they never returned with review. I guess the price still requires some clarification.

Just checking back on this thread and re-reading I find JFontaine stated they were charging $30 for day pass, although that is not what the website says. Unfortunately they never returned with review. I guess the price still requires some clarification.

hi,

I didn't see the JFontaine quote of $30 per day.

I am 99% sure it is $20.

We are going there this afternoon and I will ask again.

It's sunny here & I think some folks will be horseback riding today.

This a view from the restaurant/bar to the beach.

Judy

IMG_6558.jpg.6196f614f8e13b7767405cc76e9d4209.jpg

hi,

I didn't see the JFontaine quote of $30 per day.

I am 99% sure it is $20.

We are going there this afternoon and I will ask again.

It's sunny here & I think some folks will be horseback riding today.

This a view from the restaurant/bar to the beach.

Judy

Thanks _ wasn't sure if you were still on Roatan. Looks like a nice view!

(I wrote a question to you a while back about Castaway's and have reposted generally today. I was hoping perhaps you could answer if you have visited there this time?)

Thanks _ wasn't sure if you were still on Roatan. Looks like a nice view!

(I wrote a question to you a while back about Castaway's and have reposted generally today. I was hoping perhaps you could answer if you have visited there this time?)

Hi,

First, I checked with the manager/chef of Havana Beach Club.

The web site is messed up and really isn't theirs. long story.

Disregard information there. They can not seem to get the information taken down from the web site or Facebook. Check Roatan Cooking on Facebook & you will see the manager/chef, Jack.

If you are at Mahogany Bay - (Carnival and others) Walk out of port over hill & bargain with a cab driver - making sure he has credentials . It should not be more than $10 round trip per person. You may do ether if you are good at bargaining. Be sure he speaks good English. If you don't like one, move on, there are many. Tell him Havana Beach Club is the old Palm Beach Club. When you leave the port, you should turn right on the main road. Give him a time to pick you up. Don't pay until you are back at port. At worst, pay 1/2 when he drops you off. If he does not return, they will get a cab for you, but it will be hard to bargain. $5 each way is a lot for them. Locals pay much less.

If you are in Coxen Hole (Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and a few others) - walk to street for cab or haggle with drivers in the port- on the way out there are many. Same thing - make sure they speak English & have credentials. There are many, so if you get a bad vibe, just walk away and find another. They are all safe, but like anywhere, some are more honest than others.

There is a $10 entrance fee per person for Havana.

This gets you in, use of palapas, lounge chair, outdoor showers, restrooms, great restaurant (cost is separate) and other activities that are priced separately.

Horseback riding

Boat to take you snorkeling - I think.

Beers are cheap.

I think drinks run $4 to $8. I think prices are on the menu.

If you like chocolate and Kaluah, get a Monkey Lala.

Yum.

The beach is white sand and shallow water way out.

Today we walked to a small island near the beach - with our dog.

She walked and swam back (she weighs in at 12 lbs.)

There are no strong waves and it is safe for all ages.

We love the food - grilled lion fish is my favorite.

Now - sorry I missed your question about Castaways.

It is also a favorite of ours. It is in Dixon Cove, on the main road.

Cabbies should know where it is.

Great food, seafood and TexMex.

Small outdoor bar/restaurant 7 small beach - probably not for swimming.

They have a nice pool, volleyball court, and kayaks for rent.

They may offer fishing and/or snorkeling.

I am not sure.

We go here about once a week for the food and people.

For good food and a great view, try Cal's. All drivers know where it is and it is on the way to Havana Beach Club. Up n a hill, panoramic views.

You might bargain with the driver to include a drive East out of Havana. Have him turn around when he reaches Oakridge or turn left & go through Punta Gorda - local beach community & then return to the ship He should stop for photos when you ask.

This end of the island is opposite of where most tourists and cruise folks go.

It is beautiful and less touristy.

Oh - cabs are white and have numbers between 1 and 410. Tour operators need credentials and usually have a car/van that says something like:

Servicios Turísticos - or similar wording. Either would work for you.

Hi,

First, I checked with the manager/chef of Havana Beach Club.

The web site is messed up and really isn't theirs. long story.

Disregard information there. They can not seem to get the information taken down from the web site or Facebook. Check Roatan Cooking on Facebook & you will see the manager/chef, Jack.

If you are at Mahogany Bay - (Carnival and others) Walk out of port over hill & bargain with a cab driver - making sure he has credentials . It should not be more than $10 round trip per person. You may do ether if you are good at bargaining. Be sure he speaks good English. If you don't like one, move on, there are many. Tell him Havana Beach Club is the old Palm Beach Club. When you leave the port, you should turn right on the main road. Give him a time to pick you up. Don't pay until you are back at port. At worst, pay 1/2 when he drops you off. If he does not return, they will get a cab for you, but it will be hard to bargain. $5 each way is a lot for them. Locals pay much less.

If you are in Coxen Hole (Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and a few others) - walk to street for cab or haggle with drivers in the port- on the way out there are many. Same thing - make sure they speak English & have credentials. There are many, so if you get a bad vibe, just walk away and find another. They are all safe, but like anywhere, some are more honest than others.

There is a $10 entrance fee per person for Havana.

This gets you in, use of palapas, lounge chair, outdoor showers, restrooms, great restaurant (cost is separate) and other activities that are priced separately.

Horseback riding

Boat to take you snorkeling - I think.

Beers are cheap.

I think drinks run $4 to $8. I think prices are on the menu.

If you like chocolate and Kaluah, get a Monkey Lala.

Yum.

The beach is white sand and shallow water way out.

Today we walked to a small island near the beach - with our dog.

She walked and swam back (she weighs in at 12 lbs.)

There are no strong waves and it is safe for all ages.

We love the food - grilled lion fish is my favorite.

Now - sorry I missed your question about Castaways.

It is also a favorite of ours. It is in Dixon Cove, on the main road.

Cabbies should know where it is.

Great food, seafood and TexMex.

Small outdoor bar/restaurant 7 small beach - probably not for swimming.

They have a nice pool, volleyball court, and kayaks for rent.

They may offer fishing and/or snorkeling.

I am not sure.

We go here about once a week for the food and people.

For good food and a great view, try Cal's. All drivers know where it is and it is on the way to Havana Beach Club. Up n a hill, panoramic views.

You might bargain with the driver to include a drive East out of Havana. Have him turn around when he reaches Oakridge or turn left & go through Punta Gorda - local beach community & then return to the ship He should stop for photos when you ask.

This end of the island is opposite of where most tourists and cruise folks go.

It is beautiful and less touristy.

Oh - cabs are white and have numbers between 1 and 410. Tour operators need credentials and usually have a car/van that says something like:

Servicios Turísticos - or similar wording. Either would work for you.

Thanks for update.

It's a pity website isn't accurate. We probably wouldn't mess with haggling with a taxi and would just use our regular driver if we decided to visit. We have been out east before. Turquoise Bay arranges transport and day pass for $25 and I had hoped they would be offering something similar.