St Kitts???

brandy1175

I have never been to St Kitts any suggestions on what to do? Is it a place that a person could walk around and shop?

Yes, there is a fairly extensive shopping area near where the ship docks.

We took a train ride through the countryside that was pretty nice. I was a little disheartened by how they treat their beautiful island by just tossing old cars, refrigerators, etc. all over the place, but the people were really nice and the ride was entertaining.

I think if they collected all the scrap metal and figured out how to sell it they could make a lot of $$$.

There are also some very nice beaches.

Tom

I have never been to St Kitts any suggestions on what to do? Is it a place that a person could walk around and shop?

In Dec 2011 we did a day sail/snorkeling trip on a catamaran to Nevis where we were served a BBQ lunch on a deserted beach. The views were spectacular and the BBQ was delicious. We had a great time and would recommend it.

Edited by 71Corvette

Have also taken the scenic train ride and it was a nice relaxing way to see the island. Don't know if your a beach person, if interested we've been to several beaches and our favorite is Carambola beach. It's a bit upscale, has a restaurant where food, drinks and service was very good. Two chairs and an umbrella was $30. Beach is clean, no seaweed, water is calm, it is not rocky so no water shoes are needed as other beaches in St. Kitts (Cockleshell and South Frigate Bay) are rocky and you would need water shoes to go into the water.

Have also taken tours by Thenford Grey and they are highly recommended on Trip Advisor.

thenfordgrey dot com

Plenty of taxis are the port to take you to any beach or just sightseeing.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

We toured with Thenford Grey and had a great time.

We did too and the tour took us up to the Fortress and the view of the island is just gorgeous. There is plenty of shopping right where the ship docks. Beautiful island.

We did a tour of Fort Brimstone and Romney Manor. Views of the Caribbean from the fort are quite remarkable. Very enjoyable tour that was about 3.5 hours start to end. Plenty of shopping right near the ship.

We did the train ride. Without doing that I don't think I would have gotten to appreciate how rural St. Kitts is. A lot of people also get day passes to the Marriott. We did enjoy our day there and hope you will, too.

There is also a very nice beach with an equally nice free access facility called Carambola Beach Club at South Friars Bay. This is about a 15 minute / $8.00 pp taxi ride (taxis are about two blocks off the pier) that is easily accessible on your own with reliable taxis. The same driver will return at an arranged time to return you to the ship.

The facility offers free rest rooms and charges a la cart for umbrellas and chairs. There is a full service restaurant and bar on premises as well. The Shipwreck bar is a 1/2 mile walk down the beach for an alternative lower cost (but very good) restaurant and bar.

One of the island bus scenic tours takes you to a lovely plantation up in the hills where locals produce beautiful hand-dyed batik fabrics and make all kinds of items such as table cloths, pareos, place mats and napkin sets, cuchion covers and wall art. If you are enjoy that sort of thing, it is worth checking out this tour. Also one of the women artists will patiently demonstrate for you how batik is done.

This same tour also takes you up to a fortress that has changed hands between the French and British several times over the centuries. The view up there is breath taking, especially if you climb to the very top.

Island bus tours are not for every one. THis tour does spend a lot of time riding on the bus between a few memorable stops. The scenery is amazing though.

very safe. you have to get away from the ship and go into the centre of town.if you go to independence square. the court house is there ask for a free tour.

their Piccadilly circus is fun to watch from the 2nd floor of a local restaurant and bar.

The shopping area where the ship docks is fairly typical of other Caribbean ports and felt safe as long as you don't mind monkeys. There are many locals with monkeys who will try to get them to sit on your shoulder and expect a tip for this. They can be pretty aggressive.

Maybe it was watching "The Wizard of Oz" too many times as a kid, but I am terrified of those little varmints and had no interest in having one near me, much less paying for this privilege! Still makes me laugh thinking of our last stop there ~ DH, DD and DD's boyfriend formed a "human shield" to keep them away from me. (Not so much to be nice, more that they were embarrassed by my screaming and carrying on!)

There are two times for the train excursion. The earlier time goes on the train from point A to point B, then there is an hour (or at least it seemed that way:rolleyes:) van ride back to the ship. The later tour goes from point B to point A with the van ride at the beginning. I'm glad I did the later:)

We toured with Thenford Grey and had a great time.

Another endorsement for Grey's Tours! We thought he was awesome, and we got to see all the highlights of the island plus beach time

We did a tour of Fort Brimstone and Romney Manor. Views of the Caribbean from the fort are quite remarkable. Very enjoyable tour that was about 3.5 hours start to end. Plenty of shopping right near the ship.

We did this tour 20 years ago and enjoyed it

In Dec 2011 we did a day sail/snorkeling trip on a catamaran to Nevis where we were served a BBQ lunch on a deserted beach. The views were spectacular and the BBQ was delicious. We had a great time and would recommend it.

I did the exact same thing just last May and enjoyed it quite a bit.

1stbeer.jpg