Project Breakaway Names/Finalist

Davechipp74

You are here: Home / Featured / Cruise News / Norwegian announces ‘Project Breakaway’ start date

Norwegian announces ‘Project Breakaway’ start date

August 19, 2011 By admin Leave a Comment

NCL_Breakaway_ShipAerial_01_web-300x233.jpg The first of two 'Project Breakaway' ships.

Norwegian announced today that the steel cutting for the first ‘Project Breakaway’ ship will take place at Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany during the week of September 20, 2011. The keel is set to be laid April 2012.

This will be one of two new Freestyle Cruising ships that Norwegian will be launching. The ships will be 144,000 tons and the biggest ships Meyer Werft shipyard has ever built. Like sister ship Norwegian Epic, there will be studio cabins to accommodate single passengers.

The overall design theme for Project Breakaway’s staterooms is “modern boutique meets the sea,” says CEO Sheehan.

In addition, the Haven will be added at the top of the ship offering 24-hr butler service, white-tablecloth in-suite dining, and priority reservations in specialty restaurants.

The two ships have been slated for a 2013 and 2014 delivery.

I suppose this means they have had economic success with Epic.

Certainly they would not build two more ships where you can go a week without seeing the ocean unless enough people were paying money to fill the little closet-sized rooms aboard.

I wonder if there has been any significant drift of people to the lines with smaller, more intimate ship experiences on offer.

Certainly they would not build two more ships where you can go a week without seeing the ocean unless enough people were paying money to fill the little closet-sized rooms aboard.

I wonder if there has been any significant drift of people to the lines with smaller, more intimate ship experiences on offer.

I just sailed on a smaller Carnival ship and I can only say that I missed my Epic behemoth immensely. For all the complaining that people have done about the Epic rooms, the rooms on this ship were smaller, older and far less comfortable.

Believe it or not, there is a large demand for large ships. Smaller, more intimate ships seldom (if ever) have all the amenities found on these newer, larger vessels. I guess you have no plans to sail the Oasis or Allure either. And you do realize they make balconies for those who want to see the ocean, right?

I will be stalking again shortly! :D

I really wish they would release the itinerary of where these ships will be going. I plan on buying a few cruise credit certificates on my upcoming cruise and would really like the details NCL! :)

I will be stalking again shortly! :D

and would really like the details NCL! :)

you may be in a good position to do some stalking sooner then you think

i was on the GEM in jan '10, and they had a whole presentation all about the EPIC, it was almost an hour long and they went into great detail about a lot, in fact it prompted me to buy future cruise rewards. it was only a few weeks after i got back home did i see the same info come out on different web sites.

so maybe you can check the freestyle daily for some sort of project breakaway presentation. i wouldnt be surprised if NCL was giving a sneek peek onboard before its released on the net. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For those who haven't seen it yet...NCL has picked the finalist that came up with the names to the 2 new project breakaway ships:

-Norwegian Bliss, David Menker,Texas

-Norwegian Breakaway, Kimberly Powell,Louisiana

-Norwegian Escape, Joseph Funigiello,Florida

-Norwegian Getaway, Dennis Hultman,Virginia

-Norwegian Journey, Florence Pflaster,North Carolina

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. If so, sorry, but I didn't see it yet. :)

For those who haven't seen it yet...NCL has picked the finalist that came up with the names to the 2 new project breakaway ships:

-Norwegian Bliss, David Menker,Texas

-Norwegian Breakaway, Kimberly Powell,Louisiana

-Norwegian Escape, Joseph Funigiello,Florida

-Norwegian Getaway, Dennis Hultman,Virginia

-Norwegian Journey, Florence Pflaster,North Carolina

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. If so, sorry, but I didn't see it yet. :)

Does anyone know if any of these finalists are members of CC msg boards?

Archived