Alaska Aboard the Coral Princess - Part 1

tmitchell82

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

so the videos are incredible - I don't think I have been as excited about a glacier landing since I did it myself...and that was in a helicopter which seems so much easier.

Great record of your trip - congrats!

Wow. Amazing. I just watched all four parts. We leave on Wednesday (but our forecast is for rain :(), and I am now officially really excited. Honestly, watching your walk up the gangway to board the ship, my heart was beating fast.

You are incredibly talented at video editing! Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labors.

• 1 month later...

Tim, very cool video! How do you do those "Indiana Jones"-ish graphics on the maps in your videos, where you show the red line tracking from one city to another? e.g. at 3:02 on this. Love that effect....was hoping to add that to mine at some point!

Thanks

Rick

Tim, very cool video! How do you do those "Indiana Jones"-ish graphics on the maps in your videos, where you show the red line tracking from one city to another? e.g. at 3:02 on this. Love that effect....was hoping to add that to mine at some point!

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

Those graphics are part of iMovie. They have a feature that lets you add a map/globe to your video (it is to the far right on the tool bar that switch between title, transitions, music, photos, etc.). It allows you to pick a number of different maps/globes. You enter your start and end place and add. You can change the names of the start and end places from the ones it finds and you can vary the speed of the line by increasing or decreasing the duration of the clip.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Great videos! I noticed that you have a lot of camera equipment..I am curious as to weather you had any problems taking everything with you on the Princess buses or in Danali park or on the princess train( if you traveled on it) we are having trouble deciding how to take our camera and lenses on the land portion of our trip, as the back pack exceeds the Princess requirements ..any information you could share. ..we would appreciate.

Great videos! I noticed that you have a lot of camera equipment..I am curious as to weather you had any problems taking everything with you on the Princess buses or in Danali park or on the princess train( if you traveled on it) we are having trouble deciding how to take our camera and lenses on the land portion of our trip, as the back pack exceeds the Princess requirements ..any information you could share. ..we would appreciate.

It was actually pretty easy to carry it all. I had the Canon 60d, 100-400L, 24-105L, 11-22 (all canon) and a Speedlite 430exII flash (plus the lens hoods, chargers, etc.) Then there was the video camera (and assorted accessories) and the small Contour Roam camera. Needless to say, none of it ever left me unless it was in the cabin or hotel room. I carried the majority of it in a backpack. I had a Clik Elite probody sport with a medium size lens case attached to on of the straps. It would hold all the camera gear. It was a little tight at times, but that was only for transit between hotels and to the ship. I got the bag to be used when we went hiking. Needless to say not everything would come with on the hike ( no need for the flash while hiking). Carrying it while hiking was pretty easy since the camera was usually out and ready for use (hey it's Alaska) I had a BlackRapid RS7 strap which was great and made camera on hikes, around the ship, on shore very easy. The video camera and assorted stuff for that was carried in a separate backpack (which i could put the charges, or lens hoods if needed). It was not a camera specific bag, but a camelbak, current to the current rim runner. Tripod was packed in the luggage for transit. The Contour was almost always permanently strapped to the should strap on my bag. When going out on an excursion I would pack what I thought I needed. As for carrying it all on the buses and train, no problem at all. Buses had a little overhead storage area I could put the backpacks. Did not have ready access to the gear, but I figured keep the camera and 24-105 with me and that would cover anything I wanted to shoot while traveling. As for the train, I kept it all with me. It was on the floor of our seats. One thing is that we were in a different car and did not have a table and face other people as is the layout for the Princess cars. Granted, I would have done the same thing, just kept better control and some would have ended up on the seats. Princess had no issues with the backpacks at all. We did not do the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali, but if we had I would have just taken what I needed and left the rest in the hotel room. I do not have a problem leaving the gear in the room or cabin and felt it was safe and secure.

Basically, it was pretty easy to haul it around. Biggest challenge was loading it all to travel between hotels and to the ship. Train would have the least space. Not enough space for a carry-on type bag in the train or the bus, but since we divided it up, it worked. The only other restriction we ran into was that there was no carrying ones allowed on the flight seeing tours (including backpacks). Had to carry the camera, so one lens and DW had the video camera. Granted, Island Wings was very nice and let me mount the Contour Roam on the wing pylon. If I had taken more lens for the camera, I think it would have been more of an issue, but I could cover everything I wanted to with what I brought. I had more stuff that I left at home. Never had an issue with the sizes of the backpacks from Princess.

Tim

Thanks so much Tim, for your detailed reply. It really answered all of our concerns. I was asking for my son who was In a quandary as to how to take all of his equipment. Can't wait for him to see your videos and read this post. You have a lot of talent. Your photography is wonderful. I almost feel as if we have already been on our trip..Not quite!

Thanks agin for your help..Tell Princess nap-a-lot ..I said Hi! You guys make a cute couple.

Archived