First Cruise, NCL Getaway in 13700?

WoodsDrive

I booked our first cruise yesterday for my hubby and myself.

We are excited about finally getting to take a big trip sans kids to celebrate our anniversary. I have Juvenile onset RA and the NCL consultant was wonderful when I explained that I have some mobility needs that can vary day by day. He recommended an accessible cabin for the raised toilet and grab bars.

I've searched the forums and can't find a specific review for this cabin. Does anyone have photos of it? It's a forward cabin and I'm wondering what the window may be like. The balcony accessible cabins were all booked, so we had to settle for an ocean view.

Some days I can walk miles, but other days, my ankle will lock up and I can't walk very far at all. I do have a wheelchair that I could bring, but I've never actually used it and really don't want to. However, if I flare on the trip, I would may need to use one. I hate the unpredictability of this disease.

If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them. I do need a fridge to keep my one medication, but I've read varying reports of how to travel with my meds. I've never had TSA question my 7 day pill box, but then, you never know how an agent may be. If I flare, do I need to bring ice packs with me or will it be available on ship without paying crazy prices? I do plan to bring a heating pad, just in case.

I've been reading both the NCL and first time cruisers forums for tips.

• 3 weeks later...

WoodsDrive, not sure if you ever got any answers to your questions. I found that putting NCL accessible cabins into a Google search yielded several photos. One of them was an ocean view. If your wheelchair is small/lightweight such as a collapsible travel or transfer chair you would be better off to have it with you. A flare is no fun, and if the chair would make a difference in being able to enjoy the trip if you do have a flare then why not take it? We have two daughters with mitochondrial disease and we have learned to make plans that include contingencies for the disease effects.

We have not been on a cruise with our travel chair which weighs only 19 pounds. However, we have flown from Kansas City to Boston on Southwest. They will stow the folded up travel chair at the back of the cabin. So we never had to worry about it being tossed around in the cargo hold. Only had to wait until other passengers got off first then cabin attendants would bring the chair to us. Another plus flying on SWA was being able to board first because we were traveling with a wheelchair. (Legitimately of course.)

Sorry to blather on so! Hope you have a wonderful anniversary trip!

Congratulations on the cruise!

I also have RA, and am sailing on the Getaway next month, though in a different cabin style.

I don't ever bring ice packs, just a bunch of Ziploc bags that I double bag and put ice in and wrap with a towel.

I also travel with a heating pad. Make sure you.bring an extension cord, so you.are not.stuck sitting at desk.

I haven't had any luck getting a medical refrigerator for room, I was told I would need to.store meds in Medical Center.

I do not use a wheelchair, but do travel with a folding cane, ace bandages and braces.

I haven't ever had an issue with meds and TSA, but if you travel with narcotics, bring a med list signed by your doc just in case you got.stuck in a foreign country.

I travel a fair amount and these are the things I could think of tonight

WoodsDrive, not sure if you ever got any answers to your questions. I found that putting NCL accessible cabins into a Google search yielded several photos. One of them was an ocean view. If your wheelchair is small/lightweight such as a collapsible travel or transfer chair you would be better off to have it with you. A flare is no fun, and if the chair would make a difference in being able to enjoy the trip if you do have a flare then why not take it? We have two daughters with mitochondrial disease and we have learned to make plans that include contingencies for the disease effects.

We have not been on a cruise with our travel chair which weighs only 19 pounds. However, we have flown from Kansas City to Boston on Southwest. They will stow the folded up travel chair at the back of the cabin. So we never had to worry about it being tossed around in the cargo hold. Only had to wait until other passengers got off first then cabin attendants would bring the chair to us. Another plus flying on SWA was being able to board first because we were traveling with a wheelchair. (Legitimately of course.)

Sorry to blather on so! Hope you have a wonderful anniversary trip!

Thanks for your response. I am still undecided on the chair, but will pack a folding cane just in case. I did find some pictures via Google and saw the forward cabin on the level below had a window seat.

Thanks for the wishes. We are very excited.

Congratulations on the cruise!

I also have RA, and am sailing on the Getaway next month, though in a different cabin style.

I don't ever bring ice packs, just a bunch of Ziploc bags that I double bag and put ice in and wrap with a towel.

I also travel with a heating pad. Make sure you.bring an extension cord, so you.are not.stuck sitting at desk.

I haven't had any luck getting a medical refrigerator for room, I was told I would need to.store meds in Medical Center.

I do not use a wheelchair, but do travel with a folding cane, ace bandages and braces.

I haven't ever had an issue with meds and TSA, but if you travel with narcotics, bring a med list signed by your doc just in case you got.stuck in a foreign country.

I travel a fair amount and these are the things I could think of tonight

Your tips are very helpful, so that you so much. I will be traveling with an injectable (Enbrel) that should be refrigerated. I did see on the NCL accommodations forms that they ask if you are traveling with shots and/or need refrigeration. I don't know how I feel about my very expensive drug being kept in the medical clinic away from where I can check that it's there. I will be sure to bring an extension cord with my heating pad and bags to make ice packs. I'll also pack my splits, just in case.

Thanks again. It's nice to get feedback from someone who deals with the same unpredictable disease. I've been improving a lot since I started Enbrel last month, so here's to continued improvement and a great summer.

Your tips are very helpful, so that you so much. I will be traveling with an injectable (Enbrel) that should be refrigerated. I did see on the NCL accommodations forms that they ask if you are traveling with shots and/or need refrigeration. I don't know how I feel about my very expensive drug being kept in the medical clinic away from where I can check that it's there. I will be sure to bring an extension cord with my heating pad and bags to make ice packs. I'll also pack my splits, just in case.

Thanks again. It's nice to get feedback from someone who deals with the same unpredictable disease. I've been improving a lot since I started Enbrel last month, so here's to continued improvement and a great summer.

Because you are traveling with injectables, you might want to bring a letter stating that carrying these supplies with you is a medical necessity, on your physician's letterhead, with his/her signature.

Make sure you have the "original containers" with the Rx labels.

If you need to take a smaller quantity than might have arrived in some jumbo 3-month supply container, ask the pharmacy for smaller bottles, with the SAME "original" labels, using the smallest bottle that would fit the quantity needed for the length of your cruise.

And always take a few days' worth extra, in case of delays.

GeezerCouple

Because you are traveling with injectables, you might want to bring a letter stating that carrying these supplies with you is a medical necessity, on your physician's letterhead, with his/her signature.

Make sure you have the "original containers" with the Rx labels.

If you need to take a smaller quantity than might have arrived in some jumbo 3-month supply container, ask the pharmacy for smaller bottles, with the SAME "original" labels, using the smallest bottle that would fit the quantity needed for the length of your cruise.

And always take a few days' worth extra, in case of delays.

GeezerCouple

I plan to include the RX label off the box for my injectible and keep it in the cold bag provided by the manufacturer of the drug for travel. It has my physician information on it. It's a prefilled injector pen prelabeled with the brand name, dosage, etc.--much like an epi-pen. I spoke with my pharmacist who recommended keeping my meds in their bottles for travel. I'm going to keep older bottles and only take what I need plus a few days, just in case we get delayed.