Most affordable options?

cruise-addict

Hi there!

Our family has been blessed to adopt a large sibling group, so we will be traveling with 10 children. The youngest will be 18 months, but all of the others are 8+. We'll also have 6 adults, including a grandma to watch the baby.

What are some of the best priced options available to still have a great time without spending a small fortune? I've read about taking taxis instead of the cruise lines excursions. I'd appreciate any and all insight here!

Cozumel - snorkeling /possibly dolphin swim?

Costa Maya - ?

Belize - unsure, maybe tubing with grandma and baby staying on ship

Roatan - Foster's or Bananarama? Zip line?

Edited by cruise-addict

There are more affordable options at each of these ports, and although the ship excursion is generally more expensive than a self-excursion don't count it out before comparing the options.

And you'll get much more feedback if you post this question at each of these destination forums. Also ask this on your Roll Call forum.

Coz has gorgeous beaches and we'd recommend a nice beach day with snorkeling if desired. Costa Maya has small beachfront restaurants with lounges where you can either pat an AI fee or just pay for what you buy.mBelize offers excellent snorkeling as well as the tubing you mentioned, may be another beach day option for the group while some go tubing. And on Roatan we would consider hiring an independent driver for a tour of the island and a drop off in West End perhaps for shopping or West Bay for snorkeling. Many options other that these of course - good luck!

Edited by blue_water

• 1 year later...

I've found in my own experience when comparing a cruise line excursion price to a land based price when you take into account transportation, food, (and the stress knowing if you're late the ship may not be there waiting for you) the price works out to be somewhat close to each other.

With a group that large, it may be worth looking into group excursion prices--to be honest, I don't know what the rules about them would be, but it seems like your family may be just big enough for that.

Traveling with kids is always a little stressful, and I understand the need to be careful with money when traveling with such a big group, but you really have to remember that if you're late for anyone reason, the ship will leave you. I travel with just one kid and I always aim to be back at the ship at least two hours before it leaves if doing a non-cruise line excursion. Just in case.