Trujillo-Banana Coast, Honduras

gmhohio

Hi Everyone,

I am booked on the NCL Jewel in October, 2014. Originally, the ship was slated for Roatan but recently the itinerary has been changed to the Banana Coast. Does anyone know anything about Trujillo and the Banana Coast?

Thanks,

I am also interested in this info. I have done a google search and there is some info out there, but not a lot. Since it is a new port, it maybe worth going through a ship excursion.

Agreed mom_n_mi. The cruise line has already published a few excursions. I am hoping they find a few more, perhaps more interesting to me before my cruise in October.

Regards,

Gregg

Agreed mom_n_mi. The cruise line has already published a few excursions. I am hoping they find a few more, perhaps more interesting to me before my cruise in October.

Regards,

Gregg

Hi Gregg! I'm on the Jewel (same cruise ship as Mom n Mi) that's departing on 12/27/14. I found your communications on the board when searching for more information on Banana Coast. I have received an email confirmation - no private tours, you can only book tours through the cruise line. In time, it may change, but not anytime soon.

Gregg, would you be kind enough to post (on the board for our cruise date) any new info or what you experienced while at port. We can't help you (sorry), but you may be able to help us :o

Many thanks,

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

Greg, here's the results of my search for private tours in Banana Coast. NCL (for one) has locked in tour opportunities - and they've built an all new shopping area at the port.

Nancy

Thank you for contacting Banana Coast Tours and your interest in Shore Excursions for Trujillo. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment however, I am sure that you will be pleased with the menu of Shore Excursions that Banana Coast Tours has to offer. Below is a link to Banana Coast Tours website which will give you a sample of the numerous and exciting tours we have to offer. You will find that there are two ATV tours that may be on offer through NCL. One is an ATV Jungle Adventure Tour and the other is a Beach Break with option for ATV Beach Challenge Course. Banana Coast Tours will be offering our Shore excursions directly through NCL. These prices will be available through the NCL website which I am sure will be updated as soon as possible.

Please have a look at our facebook page as well, as it will give you some better visuals on the beauty of Honduras mainland and pictures of tours that are on offer.

Feel free to contact us at any time.

I sincerely hope you will join us in Trujillo at Banana Coast.

http://www.bananacoasttours.net/

Good research Nancy! Thanks!

It looks like NCL is coming up with a number of excursions. My TA is also planning to contract with a beach resort as well. I am still not sure what I want to do at Trujillo, but there are still seven months until then. I could probably change my mind several times between now and then! :D

Thanks again for the research.

Sent from my warped mind using an alien technologically enhanced device.

Good research Nancy! Thanks!

It looks like NCL is coming up with a number of excursions. My TA is also planning to contract with a beach resort as well. I am still not sure what I want to do at Trujillo, but there are still seven months until then. I could probably change my mind several times between now and then! :D

Thanks again for the research.

Sent from my warped mind using an alien technologically enhanced device.

Hi Gregg, received your note. Thank you.

I agree on planning too far ahead on excursions in Trujillo - too new and there's more to come. It won't be hard for me to wait n' see...I've only been on two excursions through the ship...one was perfect (in Alaska) but the other was seer torture, along with it being too short, expensive and too large of a group. Keep us posted if something new pops up!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
This link may provide you with some interesting information about Trujillo. Maybe by the time the cruise ships start calling regularly, some of the locals may begin offering private tours or boat trips.

http://www.trujillohonduras.com/tourism.htm

Hi! I read a majority of information found on your link. It appears that with all the new development it should stimulate the economy for this small struggling village. The port itself has a new shopping complex, however; most likely (mainly) jewelry stores owned by the cruise companies. Funny how that works. On a positive note, the port is within walking distance of a beautiful beach. Also, as a new port, we will have the opportunity to enjoy all the bright and shiny new amenities.

Let's all keep our eyes and ears open for private tours. Keep in touch.

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Banana Coast Tours to get information about the tours they offer.....their response:

Thank you for contacting Banana Coast Tours and your interest in Shore Excursions for Trujillo. If you would like more information regarding our tours and age limits please visit the Banana Coast Tours website: http://www.bananacoasttours.net/

How will you be arriving in Trujillo? If you are arriving by cruise line Banana Coast Tours will be offering our Shore excursions directly through the cruise lines. Unfortunately, all of our space has already been reserved by the cruise lines on cruise arrival days.

Alina Juliachs

alina@accesscruiseinc.com

• 1 month later...

I contacted a tour guide in Trujillo by Email and he replied today. He said several tour companies in the area are planning to set up business at Banana Coast and will have tours available before the ships begin arriving.

I hope that is good news for those of you who like to deal with the local vendors.

I contacted a tour guide in Trujillo by Email and he replied today. He said several tour companies in the area are planning to set up business at Banana Coast and will have tours available before the ships begin arriving.

I hope that is good news for those of you who like to deal with the local vendors.

Yes, that's great news!! The prices through the ship are pretty steep for such short excursions....paying to go to a beach is not my idea of an excursion. Keep your contact name and please keep us posted on any updates. Thank you.

Nancy.

we just booked the jewel for november 1 from houston. one of the guys i work with was born just 45 minutes from trujillo and has brothers and sisters there. we may get to meet them for lunch and some local hospitality. i'm especially excited because this guy is one of the nicest, most kind hearted men ive ever met which im sure he got from his upbringing.

we just booked the jewel for november 1 from houston. one of the guys i work with was born just 45 minutes from trujillo and has brothers and sisters there. we may get to meet them for lunch and some local hospitality. i'm especially excited because this guy is one of the nicest, most kind hearted men ive ever met which im sure he got from his upbringing.

Welcome aboard! Not too many people on here yet, but growing.

Anyone scheduling a Meet & Greet through NCL?

Hi! Although we're not sailing on the same dates, we certainly hope you'll share information with us, not only what you learn through your coworker, but also what you experienced. That would be awesome if you could post suggestions or recommendations for our December cruise. As it stands, the cruise line is controlling all the excursion options so unless we book through the ship, we're not sure what our options are.

Meeting the family of a coworker and enjoying local culture would be special - I hope it works out for you.

Nancy

Welcome aboard! Not too many people on here yet, but growing.

Anyone scheduling a Meet & Greet through NCL?

Yes, I agreed to coordinate a Meet & Greet with NCL. Not much activity on the board as of yet, so most likely by early September we'll start the ball rolling.

I'm also eager to recruit others to form a framily for two private tours (of 10 to 12) in Belize...one for Cave Tubing/ATV and another for Cave Tubing/zoo. I like the private van option vs. a bus of 30.

Stay tuned!!

Nancy

Hi! Although we're not sailing on the same dates, we certainly hope you'll share information with us, not only what you learn through your coworker, but also what you experienced. That would be awesome if you could post suggestions or recommendations for our December cruise. As it stands, the cruise line is controlling all the excursion options so unless we book through the ship, we're not sure what our options are.

Meeting the family of a coworker and enjoying local culture would be special - I hope it works out for you.

Nancy

I noticed this info in the last link I posted and thought you might have missed the reference

to Lucky tours in Trujillo. It may be worth checking out.

Visit the Tourism Office for information, or arrange a tour with Lucky Tours (2434-4140), located in the town centre.

I noticed this info in the last link I posted and thought you might have missed the reference

to Lucky tours in Trujillo. It may be worth checking out.

Visit the Tourism Office for information, or arrange a tour with Lucky Tours (2434-4140), located in the town centre.

Thank you. Yes I did miss the last link you posted. I normally get an email (in my Inbox) the day following any posts on our thread, but apparently it's inconsistent. I guess I can't assume I'm up to speed if I'm missing posts. I'll check it out!

Have a great day!

Nancy

Yes, I agreed to coordinate a Meet & Greet with NCL. Not much activity on the board as of yet, so most likely by early September we'll start the ball rolling.

I'm also eager to recruit others to form a framily for two private tours (of 10 to 12) in Belize...one for Cave Tubing/ATV and another for Cave Tubing/zoo. I like the private van option vs. a bus of 30.

Stay tuned!!

Nancy

I apologize, I will be coordinating the M&G for the 12/27/14 sail. Senior moment...I have my threads confused. I was peeking on your thread for any bit of help I can find :)

Nancy

I apologize, I will be coordinating the M&G for the 12/27/14 sail. Senior moment...I have my threads confused. I was peeking on your thread for any bit of help I can find :)

Nancy

Okay, so who is going to organize the meet and greet?

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to pass along some information we (Nancy & I) found. Another person posted put this company on the Nov 29 cruise. We did some more research and here is what we found:

http://tranquilitybayhonduras.com/

To contact them: ljforseth@gmail.com

They are offering day passes for $20 / pp. Limit is 20 people per day!

They have snorkeling, stand up paddle boards, kayaks, and horseback rides. You can rent a cabana for the day $79 so you have a place to change, shower and store your personal belongings. Depending on the size of your group, they can arrange transportation or you can take a taxi.

A note from the owner:

Thank you for your inquiry about our lovely Caribbean resort. We are located about fifteen minutes from the cruise port which would be a short, inexpensive taxi ride. Our resort has a gorgeous beach and is very safe for children as we are located in a very protected bay. The water is warm and clear. The waterfalls are not on our resort and I would not recommend them for children.

What we do offer here is a quiet, family style experience. We have toucans, parrots, monkeys to observe, and horses for beach rides. We also have a boat for snorkelling or sight seeing. There are several areas that are shallow and perfect for children.

We have a great little restaurant here where one can order all sorts of drinks, and light lunches. Our staff have taken "food safe" and we pride ourselves in quality and service.

We have made the decision NOT to offer our resort to cruise companies so we can keep prices down, have control over the number of guests and maintain the "tranquility" for our guests that book our seaside cabanas.

I am sure you know that December can often be a bit rainy here and the water is not as warm. However, climates all over the world are changing and it is very difficult to predict.

We would be happy to have your family spend a day here and as time gets closer, perhaps we could communicate and offer you prices etc.

Hope this helps. You will find this seaside town very different from most places the cruise ships stop.

We are going on the Dec 27 cruise and will update when we come back. Jackie