Accessible JS perks - Explorer of the Seas

bigdavefc

Seeing that there are no accessible suite options above a JS on Explorer of the Seas, do accessible JS guests get the same suite advantages as if they had a higher category suite? We would have liked to purchase a Grand Suite if they had accessible options but were told by our TA that the JS was the best accessible option available. So do we now miss out on the extra benefits we would have had with a GS?

Edited by bigdavefc

Seeing that there are no accessible suite options above a JS on Explorer of the Seas, do accessible JS guests get the same suite advantages as if they had a higher category suite? We would have liked to purchase a Grand Suite if they had accessible options but were told by our TA that the JS was the best accessible option available. So do we now miss out on the extra benefits we would have had with a GS?

With the exception of a larger stateroom, the perks for an accessible JS are the same as with a non-accessible JS.

HA suites do not get any 'better' perks at all. a JS is a JS,. HA or otherwise.

your TA merely meant that there are no GS HA suites available for your sailing, not there are none in GS category at all.

No she showed me a deck plan and said there were no accessible suites on board in any category above a JS. She may have been mistaken but I could not see any either.

Yes...that's right...however, your accessible JS is the SIZE of an GS....if that's any comfort.

If you don't need a "roll-in" shower, then a full suite might work...even without the HC designation. Can't you walk at all? If so, a wheelchair or scooter WILL fit thru the door of the larger suites...there is a shower AND tub...and no step up into the bathroom...

Edited by cb at sea

Yes...that's right...however, your accessible JS is the SIZE of an GS....if that's any comfort.

If you don't need a "roll-in" shower, then a full suite might work...even without the HC designation. Can't you walk at all? If so, a wheelchair or scooter WILL fit thru the door of the larger suites...there is a shower AND tub...and no step up into the bathroom...

Thanks, it is too late to change now but I will definitely keep that in mind for the next cruise, we are hoping to book another one on board. We have someone in a GS in our cabin crawl so I will see if it suits our needs when I am there.

so because there are no other options for guests that require an accessible suite, people with disabilities miss out on getting the full suite experience?

suites in general sell out fast.. HA even faster. you have to to book as soon as the itinerary is released. sometimes you miss out. most book 2 years out.

No she showed me a deck plan and said there were no accessible suites on board in any category above a JS. She may have been mistaken but I could not see any either.

then next time pick a ship class that has them. just be advised that many ships will have exactly ONE cabin in each of the higher classes that is HA (modified or fully)

ADA does not require them to provide all categories, only a certain percentage of total berths. IIRC the vast majority are balcony, which is the most popular category overall.

actually all my GS have the small step up into the bathroom and the tub is VERY deep( I have given myself one hell of a bruise more than once. ) I have to sit on the edge and swivel over. getting out is very hard for me. I will soon have to give up my non HA GS and either upgrade to the suites that have a split shower/tub or book a HA one.

so because there are no other options for guests that require an accessible suite, people with disabilities miss out on getting the full suite experience?

On the other hand, you are paying no more for a HC JS than one pays for a regular one, so why would you expect more perks?

An OS will easily fit a wheelchair or scooter and has a separate stall shower so if there is one still available, you could upgrade.

This may help you. Toward the bottom are links to all ships and the HA cabins.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/accessibleStaterooms.do

My understanding of your post is that you're asking about HA cabins above JS category so you could enjoy Suite perks......not that you want more perks in a JS.

We've stayed in a both a GS and an OS and on the ships we were on the bathrooms have a step up. The GS has a shower/tub and the shower is deep. The OS has both a shower and a tub.

then next time pick a ship class that has them.

Unfortunately being based in Australia and unable to fly, the choices are limited. At the moment Explorer and her sister ship are pretty much the best of what we have to choose from.

This may help you. Toward the bottom are links to all ships and the HA cabins.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/accessibleStaterooms.do

My understanding of your post is that you're asking about HA cabins above JS category so you could enjoy Suite perks......not that you want more perks in a JS.

We've stayed in a both a GS and an OS and on the ships we were on the bathrooms have a step up. The GS has a shower/tub and the shower is deep. The OS has both a shower and a tub.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was asking. I was just wondering if there were other HA suite options available and if not, would suite perks be granted seeing that those that require HA cabins had no suite options and it was the highest cabin category they could choose from.

I would have happily paid extra and booked a HA suite above JS had it been available but on ships based in Australia that is not an option (that may change when Ovation gets here next year).

Thank you, that is exactly what I was asking. I was just wondering if there were other HA suite options available and if not, would suite perks be granted seeing that those that require HA cabins had no suite options and it was the highest cabin category they could choose from.

I would have happily paid extra and booked a HA suite above JS had it been available but on ships based in Australia that is not an option (that may change when Ovation gets here next year).

Unfortunately no HC cabins on any cabin above a spa JS on Ovation.

You're welcome. :)

You were perfectly clear. I understood exactly what you were asking. :)

It is unfortunate for you that the answer is that there ARE no HA cabins above JS level.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry, this doesn't contribute to the initial question posed but I learned a lot from reading the responses. I'm curious though. We have a JS on the upcoming Explorer cruise 6 Jan and there was a comment about JS perks. What are these perks?

Hi, sorry, this doesn't contribute to the initial question posed but I learned a lot from reading the responses. I'm curious though. We have a JS on the upcoming Explorer cruise 6 Jan and there was a comment about JS perks. What are these perks?

Bathtub, walk-in closet (all but Majesty and Vision class), priority check-in and boarding, tea kettle, coffee maker, bathroom amenities, robes, double C&A points, and a silver Seapass card.