Liquor in St Maarten

GTNE80

In St. Thomas, there is a store that packages your liquor purchases and delivers them to the ship for you. Does anyone know if there is a store in St. Maarten that offers the same service?

but their prices were a lot higher than the store at the boardwalk and near the water shuttle pier. They also don't deliver until 4 pm and most ships leave before or close to that time. Just make it your last purchase before retuning to the shuttle.

but their prices were a lot higher than the store at the boardwalk and near the water shuttle pier. They also don't deliver until 4 pm and most ships leave before or close to that time. Just make it your last purchase before retuning to the shuttle.

I agree, better to shop on your way back to the ship; prices are less exensive than St Thomas as well.

Linda

I believe that Gulmohar's is more expensive because they have to float the cost of their Very High End liquor selection. And, they have free tastings.

Best selection on the island, in my opinion.

Check out the cheaper places and there is just no comparison beyond the cheapest Vodka's and Rums the others offer.

And, believe me, I grok TANSTAAFL.

gary

Edited by gtaylor

• 2 years later...

Gulmohar's is the one that took everyone money and did not deliver the liquor. I think 27 Front Street. Pay Cash and take risks...

We were on the Brillance of the Seas Nov 2, 2012 sailing. Everyone complaining was a cash customer and never saw their purchase.

One person called from Puerto Rico and store said they delivered everything. There were at least 10 deliveries not made we estimated about $500.00 cash.

Gulmohar's is the one that took everyone money and did not deliver the liquor. I think 27 Front Street. Pay Cash and take risks...

We were on the Brillance of the Seas Nov 2, 2012 sailing. Everyone complaining was a cash customer and never saw their purchase.

One person called from Puerto Rico and store said they delivered everything. There were at least 10 deliveries not made we estimated about $500.00 cash.

I find this very difficult to believe.

Gulmohar is one of the most established and respected businesses on Frontstreet and is shopped by most of us regular St. Maarten visitors. Liquor, cigars and other merchandise.

There is certainly no reason for them to risk an affront to their reputation for a mere $500 total in sales. That doesn't make any sense to me. Many of their special bottles are several hundred dollars each.

Also, if the address you quote (27) is accurate, that is on the opposite end of Frontstreet from Gulomar's, which is at 76. Unless something has changed since our last visit, 27 Frontstreet was Endless Summer, swimsuits and such.

gary

• Thanks 1

2 of the women I travelled with never received their delivery and I was in the store when they were told no credit cards. the ship stewards searched and that is when we found a few others who didn't get their delivery too.

They never offered refunds nothing

so cash and carry if they don't take credit cards

Gulmohars has recently made some changes. There has been a falling out in the family and they put a wall down the middle of the store and made two stores. One guy started a kids clothing store ( unfortunately...he was the real Scotch expert) and the other branch of the family has revamped the liquor store in half the space. They still have the best Scotch selection in the Caribbean.

Hank

Is the price that much cheaper then in the States or at ship store?

Will be on a TA , and it is the last stop before heading across the Atlantic , is a good place to stock up

It really depends on the product. We find that the more expensive products do generate some major savings. Personally, we do not bother lugging booze home to save only a few dollars. But when it comes to more expensive whiskers and Brandt's the savings can be huge. For example, on St Maarten they have recently selling 700 ml Bottles of Courvoisier XO for about $63. At home this would cost us more then twice the price.

Hank

• 4 years later...

BEWARE of Friendly Duty Free 2's delivery. We bought 10 bottles of alcohol from Sammy and paid cash on 2/21/2017 to the cashier (Safina), at this store on 43 Front St (they have another store at 16-A Front Street), but the box that was delivered to our cabin on the last day of the cruise had only 3 bottles in there (2 Rums and 1 Crown Royal) that we did NOT ordered. The tag taped outside the box shows our name, cabin# and 10B(ottles) correctly but only 3 bottles inside and they were the wrong kind. They charge 10% if we use credit card, which we should have because it's like buying isurance.

In St. Thomas, there is a store that packages your liquor purchases and delivers them to the ship for you. Does anyone know if there is a store in St. Maarten that offers the same service?

Quite astounded from some posts. Therefore, gapoy to give our store of choice. Used for many years. Highly respected throughout the island.

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/

As I understand, many of the liquor stores ask for or require cash. Do they allow cash and carry? Can you take your purchase with you to the cruise ship?

How about the local rums that may not be duty free?

Thanks for any advice.

BB

of course, they allow cash and carry, the only problem is that the bottles are heavy and cumbersome... especially with 10 bottles (the shop told us that 5 are allowed per person).

Once, my husband put 2 Irish whiskey bottles in his backpack, had to bend down, one bottle felt out and broke. So here goes the savings!

Once you get to the ship, after passing security and the scanner, the ship will hold your liquor with your name and cabin number, and they will be delivered to your cabin on the last day from 5 to 8pm.

The big difference is that in St. Thomas you can bring back 4 bottles (5 if one was made there) of liquor. St. Maarten the limit is one duty-free liter, this is all per person they will lie and tell you different. The duty is not much but I do not need the hassle of claiming and paying. Wine there is no limit all you can carry. :cool: You may want to check its right on the US Government site.

BEWARE of Friendly Duty Free 2's delivery. We bought 10 bottles of alcohol from Sammy and paid cash on 2/21/2017 to the cashier (Safina), at this store on 43 Front St (they have another store at 16-A Front Street), but the box that was delivered to our cabin on the last day of the cruise had only 3 bottles in there (2 Rums and 1 Crown Royal) that we did NOT ordered. The tag taped outside the box shows our name, cabin# and 10B(ottles) correctly but only 3 bottles inside and they were the wrong kind. They charge 10% if we use credit card, which we should have because it's like buying isurance.

UPDATE: We emailed and called the owner of Friendly Duty Free 2 about the problem on 2/25/17 and we received a refund check in the mail on 3/8/17.

UPDATE: We emailed and called the owner of Friendly Duty Free 2 about the problem on 2/25/17 and we received a refund check in the mail on 3/8/17.

Thanks for the update letting everyone know that the store corrected the mistake.

Your first post on this subject was on Feb 25th the same day that you e-mailed and called the store informing them of the issue.

I am very happy for this store's sake that you came back and told us that the mistake was corrected.

As I understand, many of the liquor stores ask for or require cash. Do they allow cash and carry? Can you take your purchase with you to the cruise ship?

How about the local rums that may not be duty free?

Thanks for any advice.

BB

All the decent (reputable) stores will take cash or major credit cards. However, you might be able to negotiate a slightly better price if paying cash and buying multiple bottles. I cannot speak to local rum (St Maarten is not an island that manufactures a lot of rum) although we know of one small local distiller (Ma Doudou).

All the liquor stores will allow you to carry out your purchases. Personally, we usually buy 4-8 bottles of higher priced scotch and or cognac...so always have it delivered to the ship (been doing this for about forty years with no problems). But given the airline issues (you must put booze into checked luggage) and the price increases in the Caribbean (we actually can buy booze in the USA for nearly the same price...with many items) we tend to stick to expensive products where our savings is at least $20 (often more) a bottle.

The issue of US Customs is quite interesting. It is true that St Thomas purchased stuff has a special higher duty free allowance. But in the past few years we have been very disappointed in both price and selection on St Thomas. We often bring back more then our Duty Free Allowance (1 liter per person) from St Maarten and always itemize every item on our Customs Declaration. Although Customs would be within their rights to charge us duty on the overage (it is actually a pretty small amount of money) we have never been charged when coming into any US Port. The agents usually just glance at our Declaration and wave us through. One agent actually thanked me for honestly listing all my booze (this was a time when I had 8 Liters of expensive Scotch) and waved us through with a smile. The Customs Agents do not generally want to wast time doing the paperwork for only a few dollars of Duty....and apparently they do have some discretion on whether to even assess the Duty. As I understand the rules, the Duty on a bottle of Scotch is about $2....and that would be the same for a $20 bottle or a $200 bottle. That is why many agents do not bother assessing the Duty. To much work for too little return.

Hank