Luxury cruise and a toddler

eleang

Hello !

Husband and I are planning to cruise this summer in the mediterranean, we have an almost 2 yr old boy, has any one traveled in a luxury line with a toddler before? .. Any comments? Any particular line that you would recommend? .. We have cruised in Seabourn, Seadream and Silverseas before but did not have children then.

Thank you for any comments!

Elena

Crystal cruises, excellent luxury line and they have kids clubs like the main stream lines. I have personal experience with my young son with the. I don't post a ton on here though, so if you want me to tell you what I thought and my experience on some of the luxury lines feel free to message me. :)

None of the luxury lines have a program for the 2 year old.

We have seen parents bring their 2 year old children on Crystal and you could have the crew baby sit the child for a fee and the crew will be very attentive to the child but the child would be too young for the children's program.

Keith

That's what I thought, Keith. So anyone who thinks a luxury cruise with a less than two year old will be a vacation is mistaken. Your entire focus will be on keeping the toddler occupied and quiet 24/7.

Agreed. In this regard Oceania and Azamara are very much like the luxury lines. If a parent is interested in providing a fun experience for his/her child try Disney. The lux lines should be saved for when the toddler is old enough to be left home with grandparents or some other trusted caretaker. Or has left for college!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
and as you know ,very few kids or facilites.But,of all the luxury lines,think Regent might be a good fit.Not many kids,but a "little"more set up for them. You might try "premium lines" such as Oceania,Azamara,etc.also.;)

Oceania has NO children's program at all and therefore few if any children on their ships On 10 cruises on the R ships we have had NO children except for a few crew children who are hardly if ever see.

Why do you want to select a luxury cruise such as Seadream, Seaborn or Silverseas for a family trip with a 2 year old? Such a trip meets the needs of the adults i.e. luxury but discounts the child. Why chose this when there are lovely products such as land based resorts, Disney and other travel products better suited to a young family? It is hard for me to hear a family that wants a 2 year old to behave on a luxury cruise. Not fair. A wise man once told me "children are not supposed to convenient". Two year olds need to run, make noise and at times cry.

Children deserve a real childhood. There is no race to make them little adults. I love children. My entire career has been in service to children. When I hear such questions if makes me wonder what people expect for their little ones?

The youngest any family member of ours has cruised on Crystal was aged 12. This was as part of a large multigenerational family group. Even then at 12 it was not as fun for the young ones because luxury cruising is not geared to their interests.

Regarding Crystal, yes there is a kids club but frankly the empty room with a few video screens did not look all that inviting. Maybe when there are kids club counselors are present it looks different. Be sure to check if Crystal's Children's Club program is operational during the season of the you book.

Please don't take my questions and comments as just criticism. I think the very fact you pose this question indicates your care for your 2 year old. These comments are directed at the general CC audience. There are many who just bring their little ones along with out any such consideration. Thanks for being a good parent. Thank you for asking.

Ilene

Why do you want to select a luxury cruise such as Seadream, Seaborn or Silverseas for a family trip with a 2 year old? Such a trip meets the needs of the adults i.e. luxury but discounts the child. Why chose this when there are lovely products such as land based resorts, Disney and other travel products better suited to a young family? It is hard for me to hear a family that wants a 2 year old to behave on a luxury cruise. Not fair. A wise man once told me "children are not supposed to convenient". Two year olds need to run, make noise and at times cry.

Children deserve a real childhood. There is no race to make them little adults. I love children. My entire career has been in service to children. When I hear such questions if makes me wonder what people expect for their little ones?

The youngest any family member of ours has cruised on Crystal was aged 12. This was as part of a large multigenerational family group. Even then at 12 it was not as fun for the young ones because luxury cruising is not geared to their interests.

Regarding Crystal, yes there is a kids club but frankly the empty room with a few video screens did not look all that inviting. Maybe when there are kids club counselors are present it looks different. Be sure to check if Crystal's Children's Club program is operational during the season of the you book.

Please don't take my questions and comments as just criticism. I think the very fact you pose this question indicates your care for your 2 year old. These comments are directed at the general CC audience. There are many who just bring their little ones along with out any such consideration. Thanks for being a good parent. Thank you for asking.

Ilene

You stated it very well. Being considerate of your child as well as other passengers is very important:)

Before having a child we sailed on luxury and more upper end lines.

Since he's been born we've used the more mass-market lines as well as taken land vacations(there are MANY more besides Disney-yuck).

The reason:

Because we want to be able to actually enjoy our luxury cruise. We don't want to spend time chasing him around, or having to leave shows or meals early because he's fussing, or hiding out in our cabin so we don't disturb others...

Our next two cruises are planned on Carnival and HAL. Not our first choices by any means, but they had what we most need now: childcare.

We're eagerly awaiting the next decade to end so we can return to luxury cruising. In the meantime, the cruises have changed, but they are still relaxing fun!

On our Jan. '13 voyage aboard Silver Spirit, a couple brought their toddler along. No nanny. I actually felt sorry for the little one. He just wanted to climb & play but the environment onboard simply isn't suitable for that. During dinner in the MDR, The Restaurant, the child was irritable, cranky and disruptive, no doubt because he was tired. Other guests were visibly annoyed by the disruption. The parents were aloof, which made the situation even more annoying.

My husband & I have 2 children, both under age 7, and wouldn't think of taking them on a Silversea or any other ultra-luxury cruise. It wouldn't be fair to them, to us or to fellow passengers. Bored kids are unhappy kids. Unhappy kids are disruptive. We're booked on Silver Spirit in Dec. We're also booked on Disney Dream in March, 2014, a cruise specifically geared toward families with kids. Also, one must consider the safety factor (i.e. veranda), especially when traveling with an active toddler! To add the to the "luxury" that my husband & I enjoy, we've booked a Concierge stateroom w/veranda. Kids are happy, parents are happy...everybody wins!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Since he's been born we've used the more mass-market lines as well as taken land vacations(there are MANY more besides Disney-yuck).

The reason:

Because we want to be able to actually enjoy our luxury cruise. We don't want to spend time chasing him around, or having to leave shows or meals early because he's fussing, or hiding out in our cabin so we don't disturb others...

Our next two cruises are planned on Carnival and HAL. Not our first choices by any means, but they had what we most need now: childcare.

We're eagerly awaiting the next decade to end so we can return to luxury cruising. In the meantime, the cruises have changed, but they are still relaxing fun!

Please set him free to a family that wants him. Saddest post I've ever read.

That is too funny in a sad sad way. So they want to take their screaming child and not worry about anyone's feelings. If they do this I hope they and their screaming child are removed from the ship at the first port. Lord help them if they are on a ship I am on as I will not have any filter about what I say to the "parents"

Jo-Bob, your post was unkind and unnecessary! Parenting young children is HARD WORK, especially if the child is an active, busy, non-stop toddler! If a couple wants to enjoy some 'alone time' together on a luxury cruise without their child(ren) to reconnect & rest (which they get precious little of at home!) that does NOT mean they're unfit parents that don't want their child(ren)!

Shame on you!

The reason:

Have you even sailed on Disney? I'm guessing not. Book a concierge level room or suite and the experience will be better than anything you'll find on other mass-market cruise lines. I've sailed DCL twice, and while they aren't really on my radar any longer as our son is an adult, if we were to wail with children in the future I wouldn't travel any other way.

kmr0708

Perhaps unfit is too string a word for those parents. Selfish is a better word since that is what they are for putting their own needs ahead of those of their child or they would not have brought him on a luxury ship where he does not belong and does not want to be. Part of good parenting is sacrificing for your children so leave him home with the grandparents if you want a luxury cruise or go on a ship suitable for children.

kmr0708

Perhaps unfit is too string a word for those parents. Selfish is a better word since that is what they are for putting their own needs ahead of those of their child or they would not have brought him on a luxury ship where he does not belong and does not want to be. Part of good parenting is sacrificing for your children so leave him home with the grandparents if you want a luxury cruise or go on a ship suitable for children.

Jo-Bob's post said to 'give the child to a family that wants him' implied that the parents are 'unfit'; hence, my use of the word in my post. And I wouldn't necessarily call them selfish. My understanding is that they're looking for 'luxury' on a ship that offers childcare so they can enjoy at least SOME kid-free time together. They're parents of a toddler looking for the best of both worlds: a luxurious cruise while bringing their child along. Perhaps they don't want to leave the child with the grandparents, perhaps they don't have that option.

My youngest child turned 5 last week; it wasn't that long ago that she was a busy, active toddler. For some on this thread, it may have been quite a long time since their own children were toddlers. Think back... show some empathy for those who are raising toddlers TODAY. I do agree that a Concierge stateroom on DCL may be their best solution. (We're booked for March '14 sailing on Dream) It's a "win-win" for the whole family.

Archived