smoking on Pacific Dawn?

Hi,

would anyone who has sailed recently on Pacific Dawn enlighten me on the no smoking / designated areas for smokers please...

we have a cabin with balcony but am disappointed to learn I can't have my quite cigarette whilst sitting on my private balcony!

prefer not to smoke in public as I don't like to offend anyone, besides don't like feeling like an alien! :eek:

Hi,

would anyone who has sailed recently on Pacific Dawn enlighten me on the no smoking / designated areas for smokers please...

we have a cabin with balcony but am disappointed to learn I can't have my quite cigarette whilst sitting on my private balcony!

prefer not to smoke in public as I don't like to offend anyone, besides don't like feeling like an alien! :eek:

It must be a difficult position for companies like cruise lines to try to please everyone, but they have to be aware of the health ramifications of smoking, particularly for those who choose not to smoke. Unfortunately the smoke doesn't stay confined to just around the smoker.

P & O haven't allowed smoking on balconies for quite some time. During 2008 new regulations were brought in whereby smoking is only acceptable in a couple of designated outside deck areas.

On the Sun Princess smoking is allowed on balconies. On our recent cruise one of our neighbours smoked, and when he did the smoke wafted into our balcony. Because of asthma, we had to move inside and close the door. This slightly diminished our enjoyment of the balcony - but not of the cruise as a whole. It was fantastic!!

Have a great cruise. :):):)

Evon.

Hi,

on our cruise last july people paid big $$$$ so they could smoke on their balcony but they were informed no smoking, someone smoked on their balcony and when they got home p&o had taken $500 out of their C/C, on other ships you can smoke on your balcony

the only place you can smoke is on the main deck port side and deck 7

rkmw

Thanks Evon, I appreciate your reply and as a smoker I have to say at times it even bothers me! Hubby would be thrilled if I quit and I have to admit I would love to be free from it!...just mainly enjoy it when sitting back with a glass of wine...oh well I will eat more peanuts LOL thats my substitute...

thanks rkmw for your reply,

I would have been happy if the only place I could smoke on board was my private balcony! oh well, it won't spoil my trip and will just eat more peanuts when I am drinking wine LOL... who knows? maybe I'll forget about it altogether...too busy having fun.

Smoking is allowed on Port Side of Deck 7 (Promenade) and Deck 12 (Lido) on Pacific Dawn.

The ban on smoking on the balcony cabins has nothing to do with other peoples comfort - it's a saftey issue, and came after the fire on Star Princess that was caused by a discarded cigarette from a balcony igniting a towel on that (or another) balcony.

The ban on smoking on the balcony cabins has nothing to do with other peoples comfort - it's a saftey issue, and came after the fire on Star Princess that was caused by a discarded cigarette from a balcony igniting a towel on that (or another) balcony.

This is why I was surprised to find that passengers can smoke on their balconies on the Sun Princess. :)

Evon.

Hi all,

I would like to know the smoking on balconies policy on all Princess ships, before I book a balcony stateroom for Keith 'puff moments'. Seems there are different rules on each liner of their fleet. Our next cruise will be on the Crown Princess in 2010. Has anyone got some recent knowledge re this? If smoking on balconies is to be banned on all the Princess fleet by then, there's no point indulging in a balcony.

Thanks,

Anna

I checked on board "Sun Princess" in June 2008 during our Asian cruise. P&O had just announced their new smoking policy.

The future cruise booking person advised that Princess had no intention of changing their policy which allowed smoking on balcony cabins. This would apply to Sun Princess and Dawn Princess as neither ship is a P&O vessel.

Based on this we booked a balcony room for the 46 day Indian/SA cruise this year.

Hi Anna,

Princess cruiseline allows smoking on balconies and I have not seen anything to indicate that this policy is about to be changed. If you are concerned, it might be an idea to write to Princess. It is not much good phoning the call centre for an accurate answer. :D:D

It is P & O in Australia that has a stricter policy. Although P & O and Princess are both owned by Carnival, there are differences between them.:):)

Evon.

Hi all,

I would like to know the smoking on balconies policy on all Princess ships, before I book a balcony stateroom for Keith 'puff moments'. Seems there are different rules on each liner of their fleet. Our next cruise will be on the Crown Princess in 2010. Has anyone got some recent knowledge re this? If smoking on balconies is to be banned on all the Princess fleet by then, there's no point indulging in a balcony.

Thanks,

Anna

Hi Anna and All,

For the definitive answer to smoking on all cruise lines please look at the Cruise Critic link below.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

Happy Cruising,

Chris

Hi,

We sailed on PD in March(08)and also booked a balcony so we could have a smoke,but the new rule came in(after we booked)so i would take a bottle filled with water on to the balcony and put the butts in it,going again in seven weeks but didnt bother with the balcony we will just head up to lido deck for a puff.

Hi Anna and All,

For the definitive answer to smoking on all cruise lines please look at the Cruise Critic link below.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

Happy Cruising,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting this link. Unfortunately the article seems to apply to the rest of the world and not Australia. (Surprise! Surprise!) :D It didn't mention P & O Australia ships, or cover the smoking policy on Princess ships operating out of Australia (Dawn & Sun). From what I saw on the Sun Princess, the policy is a little more restrictive than what is mentioned in the article - "on the open decks and in designated areas in most public rooms". From memory, smoking (on Sun Princess) was allowed on a limited section of deck and in one public room. :):)

Evon.

Thanks Chris, an excellent reference. It's a shame that P&O have adopted a stern policy due to the tomfoolery of a few (I'm thinking about the fire started by a lit butt on the balcony, but not sure if that was a P&O ship). Interesting that 25% of US cruisers smoke, so I think the policy will hold for a while longer.

True Evon, P&O Australian doesn't count for much in the big picture.

Anna

Could anyone please be specific regarding the exact designated smoking location on portside deck 7 on Pacific Dawn? I don't imagine the entire length of the deck is made available.

Debbie.

hi planning obsessed, smokers can light up on the entire length of deck 7 on the portside, the non smokers have to go on the starboard side

rkmw

Thanks rkmw. The entire deck is very generous allocation compared with what I've found to be the norm in public places.

Thanks everyone, for your replys on smoking onboard Pacific Dawn,

my hubby (non-smoker) said the ship will tilt to one side if we all smoke at the same time...:eek: have to have a little humour about this touchy subject...;) yes, i do appreciate the safety issues etc...

Hi,

Hi

I also dont like to offend people with my habbit,but you will not feel like a Alian as the smokers side of the ship was full and the other side was quite empty.

Archived