Cozumel Chef (Josefina) vs Playa Mia Cooking

bethhorn

Anyone have any insight into which is better? It's me and hubby (nearly 40). We'll be coming off a cruise ship in late January...

TIA.

There are several reviews on this board for the Playa Mia excursion, if you use the search engine, and most seem to enjoy it. I don't think I have seen any reviews from anyone who has done both.

We did the cooking with Josefina class a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, even my husband,who was only "along for the ride", and thought it was expensive when I booked it. Josefina only books small groups (we had another couple on our day) so I think it is probably a more intimate excursion. We found it entertaining and educational, starting with a walk through the neighborhood to the local market to purchase the ingredients. The hands-on cooking tutorial takes place round the kitchen table in her house accompanied by beverages of local beer and margaritas. Several items are prepared and provide a good lunch.

Unfortunately I understand Josefina has some health problems presently and is unable to do the class. It is being tutored by her assistants and, according to the Cozumel Chef website (who administers the bookings), Chef Luis. I don't know if this is the same Chef Luis who used to be so popular at the Playa Mia class, or another Chef by the same name.

Not sure about Playa Mia, but really sorry to hear about Josefina's health.

We really enjoyed her cooking class several years ago. I would doubt she'd let any off the street cook take over her classes, so I'd be surprised if her assistants leading the classes aren't top drawer.

IMO, Playa Mia, being a PAYGO type beach, may have larger classes, unless they specifically limit the size. So if it were me, I'd rather go to Josefina's regardless of the chef leading the class.