Ferry to Playa Del Carmen

attitudeda

There are two ferry operators - here is a link from one: http://www.granpuerto.com.mx/en/

The ride takes about 45 or so minutes and the round trip fare works out to be about $18 USD.

Playa del Carmen is a fun town, but you will not find anything there that you cannot find on Coz -- I would save your time and money and stay on the island, but it is your call. ;)

I've been to both Coz and PDC. We loved PDC (went there back when Carnival actually cruised to Calica, 4 miles from PDC) and we loved it but it's no nicer than Coz and I've heard the ferry ride can be rough depending on the sea that day. I would probably stay in Coz.

Yes it's about a 30 min ride and is typically rough. Most folks go to the Yucatan from Coz to enjoy the natural areas (Xcaret, cenotes, etc) and if time allows spend some time seeing famous 5th Avenue in town. Lots of shopping and restaurants as in San Miguel, Coz, but a different vibe. We're building a home just north of Playa because we love the area so much. But if you want something different to see or do you can visit 5th Ave and have a nice lunch in a few hours then spend the rest of your time either in San Miguel or on a tour of the island. We like renting a car on Coz and driving the south and east coast.

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...
IMO, the ferry ride is so rough that it is not worth it and I will never do it again. If I want to go to Playa Del Car again, I will fly there direct.

You'd have to fly into CUN.

The ferry can be rough but for most folks it's not a big deal...

The ferry ride on the day we went was bumpy but not too bad. It was worth it to see the ruins at Tulum. Magnificent site and well worth the long ferry ride. Just my opinion.

Edited by JimAOk1945

• 2 weeks later...

The ferry ride was so horrible that I would never do it again. I have been on 40+ cruises all over the world and this was the worst. They handed out sickness bags as we got on and they were well used by almost everyone aboard!

The ferry ride was so horrible that I would never do it again. I have been on 40+ cruises all over the world and this was the worst. They handed out sickness bags as we got on and they were well used by almost everyone aboard!

Must have been very rough weather indeed! We've never had a problem or seen others have a problem but obviously it does happen.

• 2 weeks later...
The ferry is indeed rough but we weren't bothered by it. The kids thought it was fun. But we did take pills as a precaution lol.

I prefer that side to Cozumel any day.

Do you mean you prefer the Yucatan over Coz? The Riviera Maya is indeed beautiful. We love driving the south and east coast of Coz too, beautiful coastline and fun bars.

The ferry is indeed rough but we weren't bothered by it. The kids thought it was fun. But we did take pills as a precaution lol.

I prefer that side to Cozumel any day.

Where do you go and what do you prefer? Do you go independently, or through the ship?

The ferry ride on the day we went was bumpy but not too bad. It was worth it to see the ruins at Tulum. Magnificent site and well worth the long ferry ride. Just my opinion.

Agree Jim, Tulum is worth the visit, and the beach there is gorgeous. The Mayans knew how to live! Couple that with a visit to Xcaret and that's a great day.

Agree Jim, Tulum is worth the visit, and the beach there is gorgeous. The Mayans knew how to live! Couple that with a visit to Xcaret and that's a great day.

I agree it's a great day. - but on a cruise ship day?

Well, I was desperate to try the Secret River excursion. I didn't do it my first trip because the reviews scared me for the ferry. It was rough but we didn't feel ill at all. Kind of enjoyed it actually. Although I did prep with a Dramamine.

When we arrived I immediately noticed how pretty the water and that resort area was. The Secret River excursion was amazing and I highly recommend. This time I'm going to try Xplor park which looks neat.

The first time at Cozumel we did Nachi Cocum. I found it just okay.

Question, Tulum has a beach?? I've put that off thinking it would be too hot.

I agree it's a great day. - but on a cruise ship day?

I would think it would include 3 hrs of round trip travel time with the 30 min ferry and 30 min transfer. But with at least 8 hrs in port it's certainly doable. If you had 10 hrs you could include Xel Ha or some time at Xcaret.

Then return for a land vacation to see more. :)

Mirrasi, you have to walk down and back up a long flight of stairs for the beach but it is gorgeous. You can see videos on YouTube or google pictures.

Edited by blue_water

I will have to check that out. Tulim looks interesting and obviously very popular. I keep thinking it would be too hot. We are gonna stick with Xplor I think and maybe try Tulim next time. Xplor, Xcaret, and Xel Ha all look amazing. I picked Xplor because it looks for adventurous and I have a 10 year old who I think would love it.

I almost want to do the Secret River again 😘

• 1 month later...

Can you tell me about Tulum? I am not a big history person but love natural beauty. Do I need to be a history buff to enjoy?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you tell me about Tulum? I am not a big history person but love natural beauty. Do I need to be a history buff to enjoy?

Yes, you can enjoy it without being a history buff. The location is beautiful. That is one of the things that makes it so fascinating and different about this ancient site. It sits right on a cliff overlooking a beach which is very unique compared to other Mayan sites.

Since it is so far from where the ships dock, I highly recommend that you take a ship sponsored tour. If your tour is delayed, the ship is guaranteed to wait for your group to return.

Edited by JimAOk1945

The Mayan ruins of Tulum are very impressive and the beaches there are gorgeous. To get to the beach the ruins overlook requires using a long open stairway, but if you have no mobility issues that's not a problem. The beach draws you to it because of the beauty of the water...

The ruins are definitely worth a visit for folks vacationing along the Riviera Maya or on Coz. For day visitors to Coz it is a full day excursion, so whether it's worth the trek there depends on your time in port and how interested you are. If just mildly interested you may want to just watch YouTube videos and documentaries, but that doesn't do the site justice. A guide also makes a difference, there are usually guides there offering their services, but with a group tour (independent tour or through the ship) you will have a good guide.

Since you are interested in natural beauty rather than ruins, I would suggest you instead consider visiting one of the natural wonders closer to Playa like Azul or Grand Cenote, there are several beautiful cenotes between Playa and Tulum.

And just a clarification, booking an excursion through the ship never guarantees that the ship will wait for you, but it is safer in that regard than booking an independent tour.

Edited by blue_water

The Mayan ruins of Tulum are very impressive and the beaches there are gorgeous. To get to the beach the ruins overlook requires using a long open stairway, but if you have no mobility issues that's not a problem. The beach draws you to it because of the beauty of the water...

The ruins are definitely worth a visit for folks vacationing along the Riviera Maya or on Coz. For day visitors to Coz it is a full day excursion, so whether it's worth the trek there depends on your time in port and how interested you are. If just mildly interested you may want to just watch YouTube videos and documentaries, but that doesn't do the site justice. A guide also makes a difference, there are usually guides there offering their services, but with a group tour (independent tour or through the ship) you will have a good guide.

Booking through the ship never guarantees that the ship will wait for you, but it is safer in that regard than booking an independent tour.

Thanks. I think we'll probably book through the ship and go see it. Maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity.