Labadee: Now & 5 Years ago???

tasbm1

Just booked a cruise that will stop at Labadee. The last time we were there was about 5 years ago and we loved it for its peaceful, gorgeous beach. Has it changed much?

It's changed quite a bit. Here's a recent map:

labadeelinkmap2.jpg

There are many changes. First of all a pier has been built so there is no more tendering. An Alpine coaster has been built as well as a zip line that runs out over the Dragon's Breath Beach area. The vendors' area is greatly expanded. And Cabanas have been built by Barefoot Beach which is now a walled off compound for suite guests and those passengers who rent the cabanas.

There are many changes. First of all a pier has been built so there is no more tendering. An Alpine coaster has been built as well as a zip line that runs out over the Dragon's Breath Beach area. The vendors' area is greatly expanded. And Cabanas have been built by Barefoot Beach which is now a walled off compound for suite guests and those passengers who rent the cabanas.

There are cabanas at Nellie's Beach now which are available to all guests.

There are cabanas at Nellie's Beach now which are available to all guests.

Yes, I saw that there were new cabanas under construction when we were there in March. RCI must be making a lot of money off off the cabanas with all of the building that they are doing. I wonder when they will break ground on the condo high rise?:eek::D

I love, love, love Labadee. The changes have made it better. The first time we went we had to tender and the sand was rocky when we tried to get in the water. The next time we went we docked, hammocks were everywhere and the sand was smooth. We haven't been since they built the huts, but they look fantastic. Labadee is one of my most favorite spots for a relaxing day on a raft in the ocean. I can't wait to go again.

But if you are looking for a tour or an adventure it's not really that kind of port.

Does anyone know how much the cabanas are, and do you think it is worth it?

Start at $150-200. You can put your name on a list to reserve one on Barefoot beach if you're in a suite or if you're diamond-plus. Otherwise you can reserve one online for Nellie's Beach.

Depends what you're looking for...I had one in march on barefoot(over the water so it was $200) and thought it was well worth it, but not sure the ones on Nellies would be...

Funny, I was just about to ask U if the ones on Nellie's beach were nice and also overlook the water. Also, what is in the Cabana, and won't you spend most of your time on the beach and not in the Cabana, sorry with all the ques, this is all new to me.:cool:

Funny, I was just about to ask U if the ones on Nellie's beach were nice and also overlook the water. Also, what is in the Cabana, and won't you spend most of your time on the beach and not in the Cabana, sorry with all the ques, this is all new to me.:cool:

No problem at all. I'm on my phone so I can't provide a link, but I posted a review with pics if you want to search for it. I was on te navigator.

Personally I'd only get one if it's an over the water, and there's at least one on Nellies that is called over the water but has a view of basically the sand/beach. Not really right, IMO. It's not facing the ocean.

We spent all day there so it was nice to have the cabana to enjoy the shade once in awhile, etc. floating mats are included as well as a cooler with bottled water.

Take a look at my pics if you can, let me know if you have any other questions.

Well that's a bummer. Last time we went (2007), we loved Barefoot Beach. Now we can't even sit on that beach if we're not suite guests?

I didn't like adrenaline beach. I prefer an ocean view and not watching zipliners.

So if Barefoot Beach is off limits, is there a quiet spot for lowly balcony cabin guests?

Well that's a bummer. Last time we went (2007), we loved Barefoot Beach. Now we can't even sit on that beach if we're not suite guests?

I didn't like adrenaline beach. I prefer an ocean view and not watching zipliners.

So if Barefoot Beach is off limits, is there a quiet spot for lowly balcony cabin guests?

Nellie's Beach is right next to Barefoot. Just a little farther walk.

I preferred the "old" Labadee. We would find a quiet secluded spot on the far side of the island. Now there are no quiet secluded spots. I tried to just sit in the water on the rocky side and the beach patrol would not allow it.

Last time I was there they were putting in the piling for the pier and they were building the alpine coaster. Labadee used to be just a simple beach day where you could have a barbecue lunch and go to the artisan market. This time I think it is going to be way more fun as their is lots more to do, plus no tendering!

Just returned from Labadee on Liberty of the Seas. Here are some of our reactions:

1. Beautiful!

2. Aquatic Park sold out by 10:00am, although kids could still swim in

water outside of the Aquatic Park. Only advanced reservations

were being permitted in.

3. Lunch mediocre at best - hot dogs, hamburgers, overcooked ribs,

great chicken! Certainly not comparable to other cruise lines' meals

on their private islands (e.g. Disney/Castaway Cay).

4. Lunch made much worse when my daughter asked me why there

were Haitians standing behind barbed wire fences begging for food

right by the lunch area. I hadn't seen this myself, but my daughter's

response made me have second thoughts about shiploads of food

gorgers visiting an area where hungry native Hatians are kept behind

Royal Caribbean fences.

5. Local vendors on Labadee were few, and somewhat less harassing

than those we encountered in Jamaica.

6. Royal Caribbean "Compass" re: Labadee notes not to tip staff for

getting beach chairs for visitors, although this was CLEARLY not

the case and every visitor was tipping and every staff person was

expecting (and deserving of) it.

Stacy, wow that was a great review, with great pics. You really kept your cool with rude chair hogs, and the attendant that ignored you, I need to take a page out of your book, I am way to vocal:rolleyes: Glad you and your parents had a great time. Thanks for sharing:)

Archived