Dance Hosts

Whirled Peas

My sister, daughter, and I are preparing for our Fashion Week cruise beginning Aug. 31. We have tried on and selected the gowns and dresses. Now, we are wondering how in the world three well-dressed women will manage a twirl or two around the dance floor? This is only my second Cunard cruise but I already am hooked on the ships and the charming old-world experience.

I did a transatlantic with another girlfriend in Sept. 2015. On that cruise, we watched some of the dancing, but didn't attempt to participate. This cruise, we all three want to dance the nights away. I read posts here often and I occasionally see a post about dance hosts, but nothing so far that tells me how to catch their attention or simply ask to be included on their dance cards. All three of us are a bit shy, and not likely to be demanding of anyone, especially when it comes to asking someone to take you in their arms and sweep you across the floor! :rolleyes: Our husbands/significant others have refused to join us for what they perceive as a "boring" vacation. So we are stuck asking for help, but very timid about it.

Is there a place where we could sign up for this service? Is it about tipping? I would certainly tip for the chance to dance, but I don't want to wave cash around as if I were in a stripper club! :eek:Can anyone tell me how you have managed this without too much embarrassment?

The Dance Hosts are instructed to look for women who are sitting alone and to approach them and ask if they want to dance. Sometimes it helps to sit in the front row so they see you. It depends on the calibre of the hosts whether or not they look further than front row centre. If you have not been approached in the first session, then arrive to the next one early and look for them as they enter the ballroom. Introduce yourself.

The dance hosts do not need to be tipped. I have never heard of anyone tipping them. However, you may want to offer them a drink at some point as a thank you. You are under no obligation to do so and they will not expect it.

I will add that there are some hosts who are perfectly fair and dance equally with every lady, but there are other hosts who have favorites and ignore the larger ladies, which is sad. Being a good dancer does not guarantee you lots of dances either. Make sure that the three of you enjoy yourselves together, no matter how the dance hosts behave.

I have danced many times with the dance hosts, the ballroom dancing is one of the reasons I like Cunard.

On the QM2 there are usually six and on the QE and QV there are four. They will ask all unaccompanied ladies to dance but I find you get noticed more if you sit nearer the dance floor. There is no need to tip and it is not expected. Not all the dance hosts are brilliant dancers though.

Daisy

The Dance Hosts are all very approachable, and they can be recognized by their gold metal name tags on the left upper chest area. They will also all attend the Solo Travellers get together plus the sea days no charge group dance lessons. So just go up to anyone of them, introduce yourselves and say that you'll like a dance with them at the evening or afternoon tea dance sessions when they are in the Queen's Room on duty, so to speak. They are "on duty" whenever the live band is playing. Some will stick around when the DJ/CD music is being played, but they are under no obligation to dance during that time.

Usually out of 6 hosts, one may be well trained and qualified as a ballroom dancer, 3 or so can do decent/rudimentary steps in most of the dances, and one will be pretty much a shuffler on the dance floor.

All the dance hosts will be well groomed, and thus, so should the ladies, ie bathed, no bad breath, appropriately dressed and with good dance shoes. On cruises I've been on. some ladies have said to me that the dance hosts favour certain ladies, and when I mentioned this to the hosts, some replied that not all ladies use deodorant, have bad breath, or are too heavy on the arms, etc.

Edited by tangoll
Added last paragraph.

Wow! These responses are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks very much to all of you! I will talk to my sister and daughter about attending a dance class so we make ourselves known to the hosts early on . Fortunately we all are normal sized women with good hygiene! [emoji847] and while I am a 60 -year-old "Nana," who looks her age, my 45-year-old sister and 33-year-old daughter are both quite beautiful. And, because this is the fashion week cruise, we will truly be dressed "to impress!" Wish us luck! We plan to enjoy every single moment of this wonderful cruise!

And because the cruise is happening during my birthday, and my husband is very kind and generous (as long as he doesn't have to tag along), we are beginning our girls' adventure with 4 nights in London at The Goring followed by a Q2 duplex on the QM2. How could we not have great fun? [emoji322][emoji122][emoji126][emoji146][emoji322] Can you tell that I'm excited already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dance Hosts are instructed to look for women who are sitting alone and to approach them and ask if they want to dance. Sometimes it helps to sit in the front row so they see you. It depends on the calibre of the hosts whether or not they look further than front row centre. If you have not been approached in the first session, then arrive to the next one early and look for them as they enter the ballroom. Introduce yourself.

The dance hosts do not need to be tipped. I have never heard of anyone tipping them. However, you may want to offer them a drink at some point as a thank you. You are under no obligation to do so and they will not expect it.

I will add that there are some hosts who are perfectly fair and dance equally with every lady, but there are other hosts who have favorites and ignore the larger ladies, which is sad. Being a good dancer does not guarantee you lots of dances either. Make sure that the three of you enjoy yourselves together, no matter how the dance hosts behave.

It is my understanding that the rule for the 'Gentlemen Hosts' is that they are not allowed two consecutive dances with the same lady.

Should the OP experience any problems - and the only problems I have ever witnessed are squabbles between ladies - then the person to speak to is the 'Social Hostess' whose name will appear on the daily programme. She is the manager of the gentlemen hosts.

Let's hear from Dancer Bob, who has been a dance host on Cunard and other ships. But, he is not very tolerant of dancers who dance against the flow of dance, air flailers, and ladies who hang on too heavily.

The three of us will not squabble over a dance host, and I doubt we would complain to the social hostess. Not our style. But we will take the advice given here and go to the dance classes to make our presence and desires known. We will sit up front, and we will brush our teeth before attending the Ball! As for sensible shoes? I will be wearing them, but my more fashion forward sister and daughter will have to figure out how to dance without falling in their mock-Jimmy Choo's!

As a follow up, is it considered bad form to ask one of the ship's officer's to dance? At this moment, I can't imagine working up the courage to do so, but perhaps after a glass of champagne...... ;p

Tangoll and fantasy51 pretty much sum it up. If the hosts don't do it voluntarily, it's definitely the social hostess's job to make sure whatever standards Cunard still has are maintained.

The hosts also go to solo travellers' coffee, that's another opportunity. If you only show up in the QR when it's busy, you'll find the hosts are always busy.

Mock Jimmy Choos- whatever they are- oh, oh, that's serious. There's a reason the professional dancers in the cast are picky about shoes. At best, if they make you walk like Frankenstein's monster, you won't dance any better. At worst, a painful and slow to heal injury. Perhaps fantasy51 has some comments?

Tangoll- if you remember Maria's huge mansion, after she broke her wrist she realised it was too much for her. She moved into a condo, she's very happy and has lots more free time, but mostly because she was so disappointed with the hosts, she and Silvana are only crusing with Stardust on Costa.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Tangoll and fantasy51 pretty much sum it up. If the hosts don't do it voluntarily, it's definitely the social hostess's job to make sure whatever standards Cunard still has are maintained.

The hosts also go to solo travellers' coffee, that's another opportunity. If you only show up in the QR when it's busy, you'll find the hosts are always busy.

Mock Jimmy Choos- whatever they are- oh, oh, that's serious. There's a reason the professional dancers in the cast are picky about shoes. At best, if they make you walk like Frankenstein's monster, you won't dance any better. At worst, a painful and slow to heal injury. Perhaps fantasy51 has some comments?

Tangoll- if you remember Maria's huge mansion, after she broke her wrist she realised it was too much for her. She moved into a condo, she's very happy and has lots more free time, but mostly because she was so disappointed with the hosts, she and Silvana are only crusing with Stardust on Costa.

I second Dancer Bob's comments about shoes. The fashionable hi-heels are not really suitable for the ballroom dances -- like foxtrot, waltz, V Waltz, tango, or quickstep. Get a pair of decent dance shoes, 2 - 2.5 inch heels, can be latin practice shoes. And don't show up at group dance class in bare feet. It's not only the smell, but also unhygienic, and puts other dancers at risk of stepping on your toes, causing unnecessary embarassment, etc.

Glad to hear re Maria and Silvana. Next year, I'll likely be on QM2, NY to S'ton, 07 October 2018 crossing. I'll be in NY area 05 - 07 October for sure. So I could come up to Toronto before then if something can be arranged? Or all of you can sign up for the TA, QM2 07 Oct 2018.

I second Dancer Bob's comments about shoes. The fashionable hi-heels are not really suitable for the ballroom dances -- like foxtrot, waltz, V Waltz, tango, or quickstep. Get a pair of decent dance shoes, 2 - 2.5 inch heels, can be latin practice shoes. And don't show up at group dance class in bare feet. It's not only the smell, but also unhygienic, and puts other dancers at risk of stepping on your toes, causing unnecessary embarassment, etc.

Glad to hear re Maria and Silvana. Next year, I'll likely be on QM2, NY to S'ton, 07 October 2018 crossing. I'll be in NY area 05 - 07 October for sure. So I could come up to Toronto before then if something can be arranged? Or all of you can sign up for the TA, QM2 07 Oct 2018.

So after the ho ha about the dress code, we now have a shoe dress code?

You Do NOT need proper dance shoes. What is the point of all the expense of dance shoes when all you are doing is a spot of dancing on a two week cruise? Wear what you like on your feet, it's up to you not the dance hosts who are their for the guests, not the other way round.

I'll second tangoll's comment about turning up at the dance class in bare feet. Just to add, and please, please, don't turn up in 'Flip Flops'. Ladies you'll need 'support around the back of the heel'.

As a gent who often partners some of the solo ladies who will turn up for a beginners dance class, there is nothing more irritating ( for the male partner including the dance instructor ) trying to teach a basic cha cha when your partner is constantly stepping out of their flip flops. :mad:

It is my understanding that the rule for the 'Gentlemen Hosts' is that they are not allowed two consecutive dances with the same lady.

Should the OP experience any problems - and the only problems I have ever witnessed are squabbles between ladies - then the person to speak to is the 'Social Hostess' whose name will appear on the daily programme. She is the manager of the gentlemen hosts.

What if that woman is no lady?

You Do NOT need proper dance shoes. What is the point of all the expense of dance shoes when all you are doing is a spot of dancing on a two week cruise? Wear what you like on your feet, it's up to you not the dance hosts who are their for the guests, not the other way round.

True, ladies do not need to wear proper dance shoes when dancing in Cunard's ballrooms but they are well advised to wear appropriate footwear. As previous posters have pointed out, bare feet, flip flops, trainers and similar footwear are an accident waiting to happen. All experienced dancers would never dance in a public ballroom without proper dance-shoes. However, for ladies who just dance once in a blue moon then leather-soled court-shoes are usually okay. Rubber soles are not suitable as they often result in sprained ankles. However, for ladies who are seriously interested in learning to dance properly then proper dance-shoes are the only way to go. You can even buy them on-line from China/Hong Kong at less money than you would pay for an ordinary pair of shoes. And, as Tangoll advises, a two inch or two and a half inch heel is quite appropriate for ballroom dancing. Wishing you all 'happy dancing'.

The OP clearly has no serious interest in dancing, there are many different shoe styles that will work just fine. Not knowing anything about Jimmy Choos, I have no idea if a lady is risking a broken ankle if she tries one of Cunard's endless quicksteps or cha-chas wearing them. Unfortunately, I suspect many of the hosts do not have enough experience and a good enough lead to avoid high-risk situations.

I'd say a shoe dress code is appropriate if it avoids torn ligaments or a broken ankle.

Lilydes, what's got your big toe all riled up? If you don't wish to wear decent dance shoes, then don't. We suggested wearing dance shoes to make the dance experience more enjoyable, and possibly safer, that's all. It was just a suggestion.

The OP clearly has no serious interest in dancing, there are many different shoe styles that will work just fine. Not knowing anything about Jimmy Choos, I have no idea if a lady is risking a broken ankle if she tries one of Cunard's endless quicksteps or cha-chas wearing them. Unfortunately, I suspect many of the hosts do not have enough experience and a good enough lead to avoid high-risk situations.

I'd say a shoe dress code is appropriate if it avoids torn ligaments or a broken ankle.

Jimmy Choo is a fashion designer who made his mark by creating outlandish high spiked heels. They are oh-so-popular with the fashionista set. www.jimmychoo.com My sister, who fancies herself a fashion diva (and thus, is delighted to be on the fashion week cruise) has purchased three pairs of Jimmy Choo knock offs for this trip.

While my sister might risk a ligament or tendon if she attempts a cha-cha in Choos, I will happily waltz in wedgies, if that's what it takes to dance. While I am hardly an accomplished dancer, I do love the experience with someone who has a clue about how to lead. Thanks for the advice, Dancer Bob. I will follow it.

Nobody has responded to my query about whether it would be a faux pas to ask a ship's officer to dance? Would I have to walk the plank as penance? If so, I might risk it anyway, and borrow a pair of my sister's Choos for the long walk off that short pier. I don't suppose the sharks would care if my ankle were a bit swollen.

Seriously, would I be a social outcast if I dared to ask an officer for a dance?

Nobody has responded to my query about whether it would be a faux pas to ask a ship's officer to dance?

Seriously, would I be a social outcast if I dared to ask an officer for a dance?

I have taken over 15 cruises on QE2 and all three current vessels -- QE, QV, and QM2 -- and I cannot recall any instance when any of the ship's top officers have ever danced in the Queen's Room when the live band had been playing. The younger officers tend to stick to the discos and do their thing there.

I suppose if you do wish to make a request, I would suggest making your request via the Social Hostess, and she might be able to work something out. I see nothing wrong with making such a request; as a paying passenger, you can and should make any request of the ship that you deem fit and reasonable. The most the ship personnel will do is say "No".

The officers should deem your invitation an honour to be so requested. As a decent dancer (but not a dance host), I have often been invited by ladies to dance with them, and I have also been asked by husbands to dance with their wives, including twice, husbands in wheelchairs, pointing out their own situation that much as they would like to dance with their own wives, they cannot. So I consider such requests an honour that I can easily fulfill.

Edited by tangoll
Added last paragraph.

I have taken over 15 cruises on QE2 and all three current vessels -- QE, QV, and QM2 -- and I cannot recall any instance when any of the ship's top officers have ever danced in the Queen's Room when the live band had been playing.

As tangoll says, I think it unlikely that you will find any of the officers in the Queen's Room for the dancing. You could possibly arrange something beforehand if you talk to them at one of the cocktail parties or some other occasion. Or as has been suggested, talk to the social hostess. She may (should?) know which, if any, of them dance.

tangoll, You're right, it's rare, but not unheard of. I have seen a couple of officers dancing on Queen Victoria, but that was with their own wives so doesn't really count . I have seen officers dancing with passengers on QE2, only once as far as I can recall, but it used to happen on Caronia on one of the formal nights. All the officers would ask a passenger to dance the first dance of the night. Most of them would disappear straight after that one dance but some would stay all evening.

Regards, Colin.

Jimmy Choo is a fashion designer who made his mark by creating outlandish high spiked heels. They are oh-so-popular with the fashionista set. www.jimmychoo.com My sister, who fancies herself a fashion diva (and thus, is delighted to be on the fashion week cruise) has purchased three pairs of Jimmy Choo knock offs for this trip.

While my sister might risk a ligament or tendon if she attempts a cha-cha in Choos, I will happily waltz in wedgies, if that's what it takes to dance. While I am hardly an accomplished dancer, I do love the experience with someone who has a clue about how to lead. Thanks for the advice, Dancer Bob. I will follow it.

You trip sounds like great fun. I hope your sister enjoys dancing in her new shoes. Not many on the dance floor wear "proper" dance shoes. I agree with the previous poster who stated that you don't need to buy "proper" dance shoes for a 2 week trip. Wear whatever your hearts' desire ( within the dress code of course).