Packable Down Jacket, Multiple pairs of Shorts? < = or > ?

alwaysfrantic

I get the layering thing....just not sure on the ends how far to go. My husband is sure he will only wear shorts (I think he will get cold)

I will have few days in Vancouver, a few days in Fairbanks and all the stuff in the middle. Is a fleece enough or will I need the lightweight compressible down jacket?

Shorts....not so much. The down jacket...maybe. I found that a sweater and a raincoat and light weight gloves were adequate. The raincoat served 2 purposes: keeping the rain off and shielding the wind. One with a hood of course is a good idea. I look at the shorts and down jacket at two opposite ends. Look for a middle ground. Or if you chill easily, then take the down jacket. You can always take it off if you get too warm, but if you become chilled, then the jacket could feel quite nice.

It's a wonderful cruise to Alaska...enjoy! We found that the pools were heated (not sure if that is true of every ship) and it was wonderful to get in pool (mostly to ourselves) and then get out and wrap up in a nice dry towel and put on a sweatshirt.

Check out the weather just prior to leaving. Down jacket? Where are you from? Can't imagine shorts. Fleece jacket, rain gear, couple of pr of shoes, in case it's raining and they get wet. Umbrella, if needed. I'm from Seattle and am used to cool, wet weather and this is what I'm planning on bringing.

I get the layering thing....just not sure on the ends how far to go. My husband is sure he will only wear shorts (I think he will get cold)

I will have few days in Vancouver, a few days in Fairbanks and all the stuff in the middle. Is a fleece enough or will I need the lightweight compressible down jacket?

Humor him and purchase the hiking pants that have the legs that zip off so that they're shorts. Chances are that they don't actually get zipped off!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A down jacket on a rainy windy day ??

If you want to take a down jacket to wear on dry days, that's fine, but you need something waterproof for your outer layer.

I wear fleece or a hoody or sweatshirt under a waterproof jacket .... just like I do here in Seattle.

If husband wants to wear shorts, that's his business. Will he wear them on the plane? in the dining room? He'll probably pack a pr of khakis or jeans. The zip offs are a great option.

I've got a great rain shell. Super lightweight, completely waterproof.

I really hadn't considered the shorts to pants ratio until today. (Just knew the husband was going to be sorry he didn't listen to me).

There are extra blankets in the cabins or on deck that we can take to the verandah for sitting outside? That will help a lot.

Thank you all , Signed

Virginia girl, 90 degrees with 90% humidity all summer long. We do get snow and are below freezing for winter months. I rarely pull out my heaviest coat though.

If I had a down sweater,I'd bring one. But my down coat which is very lightweight is mid length,and I won't bother bringing it b/c it's too long for my raingear to cover. I've got a couple of light wool sweaters to layer, plus I bought a thin fleece from Lands End also for layering. That plus my shirts will be enough with the rainshell. It's a little awkward for every day at home but when packing for a trip,I'm a 'less is more' type of person so layering is key for me.

A down jacket on a rainy windy day ??

If you want to take a down jacket to wear on dry days, that's fine, but you need something waterproof for your outer layer.

I wear fleece or a hoody or sweatshirt under a waterproof jacket .... just like I do here in Seattle.

If husband wants to wear shorts, that's his business. Will he wear them on the plane? in the dining room? He'll probably pack a pr of khakis or jeans. The zip offs are a great option.

They are expensive and I am sure that they are not what the OP wants but you can get waterproof down jackets -

https://www.rei.com/c/mens-down-jackets?r=c%3Bfeatures%3AWaterproof&origin=web&ir=category%3Amens-down-jackets&page=1

http://www.columbia.com/mens-outdry-ex-gold-down-hooded-jacket-1700411.html?dwvar_1700411_variationColor=438#start=4

DON

You might want to consider a packable down vest, not jacket. It can be a mid layer between a light weight fleece and the rain jacket.

I have seen them on sale right now at REI and other places.

Edited by marazul

I've got a great rain shell. Super lightweight, completely waterproof.

I really hadn't considered the shorts to pants ratio until today. (Just knew the husband was going to be sorry he didn't listen to me).

There are extra blankets in the cabins or on deck that we can take to the verandah for sitting outside? That will help a lot.

Thank you all , Signed

Virginia girl, 90 degrees with 90% humidity all summer long. We do get snow and are below freezing for winter months. I rarely pull out my heaviest coat though.

If you've got something like a Patagonia down sweater, I'd say "bring it along". I get loads of use from mine, and use it both on its own, and under a waterproof jacket.

As for your husband, can you convince him to bring at least one pair of long pants? I like the idea of the convertible pants other posters have suggested, but they can be uncomfortable if you're sitting for a long time (like on a bus tour or similar). The zippers can start to dig into the back of the thighs. BTDT :) I still usually take a pair but I'm careful what days I wear them.

He will have nice pants for dinners, of course. He just doesn't expect to need them any other time.

If you can talk him into wearing jeans for the plane and also buy him a pair of convertible pants he will have what he needs.

I like the idea of the convertible pants other posters have suggested, but they can be uncomfortable if you're sitting for a long time (like on a bus tour or similar). The zippers can start to dig into the back of the thighs.

By the way, it is worth comparing different brands of convertible pants. Some have longer short sections than others..

I posted a packing list at https://zest4travel.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/what-do-i-pack-for-alaska/ I've been to Alaska 10 times and have fine tuned this list. Hope it helps.

That's a really good packing list! Add a travel umbrella and you really shouldn't need anything else. We had stateroom neighbors that didn't bring any kind of raincoat with them and we loaned our little travel umbrellas to them during the cruise. They were very grateful. It poured down in Juneau. But we still had a blast, since we had our raincoats.

I am from Minnesota, but was glad I had my packable down jacket on our last cruise. I didn't wear it a lot, but we spent hours and hours outside on the ship and it was nice to have, especially in Glacier Bay. I wore it under my rain jacket to help stop the wind.

The jacket takes up very little room and is practically weightless so I would probably take it "just in case."