Weight limits?

slm83

I saw a post about clothes for formal night and larger folks, so it got me thinking. One of our excursions (tubing at Hells Gate in Belize) has a weight limit of 280. My DH hangs our between 275-290. He's been "watching" what he eats for the last week or so since we're a few weeks out from the cruise so he's closer to 275 than 290. Do they actually question anyone or pull out a scale if it's a close call?

No, my boyfriend is larger in size and while I've not specifically looked at if whether anything we have done would have a weight limit; I've never seen them pulling people aside to weigh them. I know they do that for ziplining and things like that, but obviously he doesn't do those things. I think it's very unlikely to be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, I can't help on the weight thing, but I have read reviews where it can be a half hour walk to get to the river. Not sure if it applies to this particular excursion? But just an fyi if that could be an issue.

Curious, why is a 30 minute walk an issue on an excursion that is not on an air conditioned bus, looking out a window?

Most people who go to the grocery store, the mall or just about anyplace will easily walk 30 minutes.

Depending on the river depth and boulders in the river, there may be a weight limit to help prevent being stuck on the bottom or scraping the top of the rocks.

While it is true you are floating in a tube, one's bottom does hang down and a heavier weight will cause the tube to be lower in the water.

I saw a post about clothes for formal night and larger folks, so it got me thinking. One of our excursions (tubing at Hells Gate in Belize) has a weight limit of 280. My DH hangs our between 275-290. He's been "watching" what he eats for the last week or so since we're a few weeks out from the cruise so he's closer to 275 than 290. Do they actually question anyone or pull out a scale if it's a close call?

I have a hard time imagining them actually questioning someone, but I suppose it could happen.

I would guess that the weight limit is probably something suggested by the equipment manufacturer, similar to how a personal watercraft like a kayak has a rated weight limit. You can probably exceed it safely, but only first hand experience would tell you by how much.

Curious, why is a 30 minute walk an issue on an excursion that is not on an air conditioned bus, looking out a window?

Most people who go to the grocery store, the mall or just about anyplace will easily walk 30 minutes.

The rainforest hike that person was referring is not an easy 30 minute walk. We've done it. It's mostly uphill and over uneven terrain. Someone very overweight/out of shape could have trouble with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just find it weird that her excursion has a weight limit and the one I booked does not? The only difference is, I guess, is hers has a specific name for the area they are going and mine does not. So maybe the different locations might be a reason? Maybe smaller tubes are needed for the river? But the excursion mentioned a raft if you didn't want to get wet. I really don't think 10-15lbs on a tube makes a difference. Zip lines, yes. As far as hiking. I've asked several people on several reviews about my excursion, concerned about my own weight and they have told me I should be able to keep up just fine. The guides stop to talk about the jungle, which gives time to catch your breath and catch up if you are moving slower. Plus, if you need them to, they will carry your tube for you. Then again, it seems for some reason these excursions are different. Read the reviews on the excursion booking and also google the specific area you will be tubing for more information.