Shoes in temples?

Bowie MeMe

Not to be disrespectful, but I have very bad foot problems and I NEVER walk without shoes. What do I do to be able to tour the various religious sites of Asia (Bangkok and Beijing) without flaring up plantar faciitis? Would carrying a cane or walking stick notify others that I have medical problems and need the shoes/medical inserts?

Beijing: Most temples that are open to tours do not have a "shoe removal" policy.

However if you should be invited to a family residence keep a keen eye out on the foyer or doorway, if you see a line of shoes, the family takes their shoes off. As a guest they will insist that you don't have to comply and can keep your shoes on, but protocol will requires you to at least insist that you do have to take your shoes off. Tell them you have a minor medical issue and apologize for not taking off your shoes. After your visit, apologize again.

Having a walking stick or cane will NOT, silently anyways, show you have a medical issue that is not readily seen.

Oh, some families will have "guest slippers" for you to use.

Not to be disrespectful, but I have very bad foot problems and I NEVER walk without shoes. What do I do to be able to tour the various religious sites of Asia (Bangkok and Beijing) without flaring up plantar faciitis? Would carrying a cane or walking stick notify others that I have medical problems and need the shoes/medical inserts?

Our private tour guide took us into a temple and we were REQUIRED to remove our shoes or could not enter it. Also, we had to remove our shoes (not sox) when we visited the giant reclining budha. It is only for a few minutes and then you are off to see another site. Hopefully, you will be able to work this out.

Archived