Question re checking cameras, etc. before Scavi tour

Turtles06

I know that cameras and large bags must be checked prior to the Scavi tour in Rome; the Scavi web site says that the checked bag location is "to the right of the façade of the Basilica at ground floor level of the Basilica's premises passed the security check areas."

My question is this: in order to check something before the Scavi tour, does this mean you must first stand in line in order to get into the Basilica (and go through security there)? Do you then exit the Basilica, since the entrance to the Scavi tour is outside to the left of the Basilica?

Thanks as always to the Rome experts on this board!

No line for the bag check. But it is all the way on the other side of the basilica (it is on the right as you face the basilica) from the entrance for the Scavi Tour. So you need to allow a little extra time to walk over and check your bags and then get back over to the proper gate for the Scavi tour.

Hank

No line for the bag check. But it is all the way on the other side of the basilica (it is on the right as you face the basilica) from the entrance for the Scavi Tour. So you need to allow a little extra time to walk over and check your bags and then get back over to the proper gate for the Scavi tour.

Hank

Yes, you must stand on the security line for the basilica in order to get to the baggage office to leave your things. After you've done that, you'll walk to the other side of the basilica and enter through the gate on the opposite site for the scavi office.

Thank you both, but since these are conflicting answers, does anyone have the tie-breaker?

Thank you both, but since these are conflicting answers, does anyone have the tie-breaker?

Actually not conflicting. There is no line for the baggage check, but there is (or at least was) a general security line to get into the basilica area (we still remember when there was no security...but times have changed). We encountered additional security with the Scavi Tour as they do take a good look at their visitors. Given that this tour takes you underneath St Peters it is certainly to be expected.

Hank

Actually not conflicting. There is no line for the baggage check, but there is (or at least was) a general security line to get into the basilica area (we still remember when there was no security...but times have changed). We encountered additional security with the Scavi Tour as they do take a good look at their visitors. Given that this tour takes you underneath St Peters it is certainly to be expected.

Hank

Thanks for the clarification. Just so I understand: if you have stuff to check before the Scavi tour, you must stand in line to get into the Basilica in order to be able to go to the baggage check, correct? So if I have a camera to check, we could have to wait in a long line to enter the Basilica (to get to baggage check), even though we won't be visiting the Basilica until after the Scavi tour?

After the Scavi tour, can you get back to baggage check without exiting the Basilica and having to wait on line to get back in?

In terms of "additional security with the Scavi tours," were your small bags searched manually? I've read that folks have taken in small cameras in purses, not to violate the no-photography rules, but just so they don't have to check them and will have them for after the Scavi tour. But I don't know how recently this has been done.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the clarification. Just so I understand: if you have stuff to check before the Scavi tour, you must stand in line to get into the Basilica in order to be able to go to the baggage check, correct? So if I have a camera to check, we could have to wait in a long line to enter the Basilica (to get to baggage check), even though we won't be visiting the Basilica until after the Scavi tour?

After the Scavi tour, can you get back to baggage check without exiting the Basilica and having to wait on line to get back in?

Yes, you've pretty much got it.

First you'll wait on line in the square as if you were going to visit the basilica. You'll got through an airport type x-ray scanner and your bags will go through the bag scanner. Once inside the secure area you'll walk toward the basilica steps and you'll see signs for the bag check. It's located outside of the basilica itself, but inside the complex.

After checking your bags you can walk across to the other side without ever entering the basilica, if you wish. (Unless the security process has changed; it's possible that you might have to step inside one door of the basilica and right out another if they have the direct access blocked off.)

You'll go down the steps in front of the basilica (you are now on the south side, or the left if you are facing the front of the basilica). There will be a gate with a member of the swiss guard in front of it, show him your reservation and he'll show you where to go for the scavi office.

Yes, you've pretty much got it.

First you'll wait on line in the square as if you were going to visit the basilica. You'll got through an airport type x-ray scanner and your bags will go through the bag scanner. Once inside the secure area you'll walk toward the basilica steps and you'll see signs for the bag check. It's located outside of the basilica itself, but inside the complex.

After checking your bags you can walk across to the other side without ever entering the basilica, if you wish. (Unless the security process has changed; it's possible that you might have to step inside one door of the basilica and right out another if they have the direct access blocked off.)

You'll go down the steps in front of the basilica (you are now on the south side, or the left if you are facing the front of the basilica). There will be a gate with a member of the swiss guard in front of it, show him your reservation and he'll show you where to go for the scavi office.

Thanks for such a detailed explanation! The final question --- after the Scavi tour, I know we wind up inside the Basilica. It sounds from what you wrote above that I can get back to the bag check to retrieve my camera and still get back into the Basilica without waiting on the security line again, is that correct?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Yes, that's right. You'll stay inside the secure area while going from the basilica to the luggage check and back.

Huge thanks for all your help. The whole bag check things seems like a small detail, but the info in this thread has really helped us figure out the order in which we want to do things the day of our tour.

Much appreciated!

Ok so what is considered a bag? We won't have a backpack or camera bag just a travel size across the chest type purse.

Maybe about 6 x 8 size

Also for that day we will just use iPhone cameras but not underground. Will that be an issue just carrying it in a purse ?

Would a small 35 mm be an issue? Also would not be used underground

They would be in the purse of course.

We know Italy very well but the next trip our baby will be old enough for the scavi tour and we are planning on it

So does a purse as described need to be checked?

Didn't have to check it at st marks btw

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
This is a great thread and am bumping to get the additional answers to the unanswered questions and any updates.

We did the Scavi tour last November. I usually carry a medium sized tote bag but don't recall bringing this nor checking any "bags". I too often use a small waist/shoulder nylon camera/compartment bag which is probably what I used. It is about 4x3x6 inches. I know for sure I didn't return to a "baggage check" area. As far as staying and lingering in the Basilica, you come up from behind the main alter near the Baldisario. If there is going to be a religious function, you will be required to leave this area as it is where the chairs are placed closest to the high alter.