Getaway Live 7-14

shanefm3

I am not sure yet if I am a fan of the ship, it's not disappointing me terribly but just not wowing me. I liked the evening shows on other ships which is not on. It also feels a bit compartmentalized with the atrium the only place with an open air feel. I've also associated the atrium with senior bingo halls so I don't like hanging out there. My ankles always get hit by walkers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly...I said the same exact thing when I returned in August. I was super excited to sail Getaway then felt a bit letdown by the entire experience. I wouldn't not sail her again but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to book a cruise on her. Compartmentalized is the perfect descriptor!

Interested to read about the prebooking of howl at the moon, I was on the Getaway 4 weeks ago and never once had to make a reservation. I saw them all 4 nights they were playing as i thought they were amazing! Brandon was a real character ☺

Edited by DiamondGirl83

Not sure, second night in a row I went down around 6pm and it was overflowing with people waiting . Maybe the fact that both dining rooms are across from each other creating a bottle neck. I hit the buffet ( as much as I am not a fan) just for the sake of having a quick bite. The buffet was extremely quiet and the food wasn't that bad at all.

I have been unable to make a reservation for tonight and as you see it's "sold out" for Saturday . I have heard multiple people talking and advising people to book everything and no big deal if they don't go. I see it as similar to chair hogging . It leaves the likes of me waiting in a line for standby tickets as I wasn't sure if I'd be awake at 11pm

That must have just changed this week. We were on Getaway last week and there was no way to book Howl at The Moon ahead of time. It was packed when the show first started but as the evening went on it always thinned out and there were plenty of seats available.

Edited by niclan6

I have read a few reviews/comments now about waiting for the MDR's. I wonder what has changed? We were on the Getaway @ New Years, ate only at MDR's in the evening (well, once at O'Sheehan's) and never had a wait. Any ideas???

We just returned from Getaway and did not have any real problem getting a table in the MDR's and we were a group of 17. We tried all 3 MDR's but Tropicana was by far our favourite with the live entertainment, dancing and we had an amazing waiter that we always asked for and got every night.

Is a 45 minute wait such a big deal? I would head to the bar with a buzzer and I'd imagine the wait would be a bit less anyway?

The only restaurant that we had to put our name down and get a buzzer was at Shanghai Noodle Bar but we knew there would be a wait. We were going to the comedy show in the theater and grabbed a beeper on the way to the show. We were told it would be a 30-40 minute wait. Well the first comedian had barely started and the buzzer was going off. I went to the restaurant and told them that we were not ready yet. They asked what time we would like to eat as we were actually the only people that currently had a beeper out so if they gave me another one it would just go off again. I told them that we would like to eat in about 45 minutes and they said they would beep me again in 45 minutes. The show was over in about 40 minutes before the beeper went off, we went to the restaurant and they seated us right away. It was not a big deal at all.......if you plan it properly and are not starving.

FYI

There was nobody checking cards for The dueling pianos. Not sure why it's showing up as sold out on iconcierge. Plenty packed though but still people filtering in and out

Thanks Shane! Your review is great. Since going on this ship in March even more helpful. Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

FYI

There was nobody checking cards for The dueling pianos. Not sure why it's showing up as sold out on iconcierge. Plenty packed though but still people filtering in and out

My wife just said that she saw it on our iConcierge last week too but like you said, no one ever asked for a cruise card at the door.

Day 4

Just wrapping up a long day. As I mentioned , I'm not a fan of Ocho Rios. Glad to be on the way to GC, I don't find it as pushy there.

The Vibe area was empty most of the day as was the spa until close to sail away . Love these two escapes

I caught some of the pianos and then a comedian . Both were good although the comedian was more of a power point presentation such as people of Walmart . Not too much work out in to the show I thought but still humorous none the less.

Sitting in Sheehans having a snack and a Bob Marley tribute band is on . Very good but very loud . That's my only issue , it's so split up here that the noise just reverberates between the areas . Even at the comedian, the noise from other venues was bleeding through.

As I mentioned, this is my 10th cruise , way less than most and more than some I am sure. This is an observation of mine. I miss the Jamaican bartenders , I feel they have been replaced by staff from the Philippines . Personally, I don't find the bartenders as friendly as in the past . I also don't find them as efficient . As someone who has trained bartenders and waitstaff in NYC , I may be pickier than most . I don't think they are rude not lazy , just not efficient. Most ( not all) have one speed at the bar , no matter how many customers they have waiting . Maybe the UBP is the fault ? , has it removed the hustle.

Overall, it's been a very pleasant cruise. Something major would have to happen for it to anything other than a great week away from the cold, surrounded by mostly pleasant people trying to do the same .

Day 5 Yikes!!!

Good morning

The captain just announced that due to the choppy seas, that GC was closed . We are heading to Cozumel and should have a few extra hours there tomorrow . The weather is cloudy also. Obviously people are a tad upset !!.

This is a day I'm glad that I have the spa pass [emoji3][emoji3].

All good !!. It's 20 degrees back home and I'm not at work

Edited by shanefm3

Day 4

Overall, it's been a very pleasant cruise. Something major would have to happen for it to anything other than a great week away from the cold, surrounded by mostly pleasant people trying to do the same .

Awesome attitude!

~Denise

Is there any way to get a photo of the massage prices-I would like to surprise my husband on our anniversary on board...

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk1649f1af2744aa904b88a78b925cc95f.jpg

Edited by shanefm3

If you choose to do the massage, the advice I have is to inform the therapist either when they give you the paperwork or verbally that you do NOT want any upsell. Also, in the past , I've found the one hour massage is more like 40-45 mins when you factor in the talking etc. My opinion is for the almost $200, you can get a weeks spa pass. Also , if you google Cozumel Massage , you will find some fantastic spas close to the ship for a fraction of the cost. Just my 2c

Thanks so much! We were debating the massage and may take your advice!!

If you choose to do the massage, the advice I have is to inform the therapist either when they give you the paperwork or verbally that you do NOT want any upsell. Also, in the past , I've found the one hour massage is more like 40-45 mins when you factor in the talking etc. My opinion is for the almost $200, you can get a weeks spa pass. Also , if you google Cozumel Massage , you will find some fantastic spas close to the ship for a fraction of the cost. Just my 2c

Day 5

Beautiful sea day spent at the Vibe.. With the port being skipped, they added events at the pool area below. I'm so glad I didn't set up camp as it was a cacophony of noise all day. It seemed like a lot of fun, but I'm just past the "skinny legs" stage . I much preferred the fruit skewers, cool water mist and queen sized loungers.

Dinner was at at Cagneys, food was very nice, the service was so-so. That seems to be the theme, either the food is poor and the service great or food is good and the service poor. Not really anything major but more of a lackadaisical approach to the guest.

My cabin steward is a nice guy and does a nice job. I don't have huge expectations from him and I do my best to keep a clean cabin anyway. I don't throw stuff around at home, so no need to start now :)

Today is Cozumel, a port I have visited many times, so it'll be just ramble up along the port and find a small local spot for lunch.

The weather is nice, I'm relaxed. Mornings at the spa, lunch at Vibe, back for another Sauna and out to dinner. Not a bad life. I'm also aware it's 3 degrees back home!!

Day 6

Easy walk off in Cozumel. Spent the morning taking a walk . I've been here a few times so I'm well used to the approaches of the staff outside the store. Most of the stores are the same, selling the same products . Your bargaining skills will dictate your price . I did find the stores much cheaper liquor wise than the duty free near the ship. Their prices were similar if not higher than my local store !!

I had a fantastic lunch at one of the local restaurants , tacos , burritos and a couple of sodas for $9. Try the local spots , there are plenty off the side streets.

Again, Vibe was quiet for the afternoon as was the spa. I can't recommend these places enough.

Typing this as I wait for a table at Taste . I was given a 15-30 minute wait and I've just been seated after 10 mins ,so take the wait time with a grain of salt .

Last night.

All packed up and ready to go. In closing , it was a nice cruise overall.

Food

Edible, nothing outstanding in either speciality or complimentary . Service matched the food. Nothing too impressive

Staff

Ok, they got the job done. Wasn't wowed at all

Ship

Nice, new but too "cluttered" for me. Too many bottlenecks

Ports

Jamaica, Cozumel and GSC. Nice ports once you get past the natives ( not GSC)

Overall

I did my own thing , had not many expectations other than to relax and regenerate the batteries . I did that

Many posts here tell you what to bring etc etc. My advice is what to leave behind, stress , bills and a poor attitude . You're on a ship, in nice weather being waited on. Relax and enjoy. It won't be perfect but it beats the alternative !!