Going to Virgin Gorda on our own questions?

Coolcruise02

Ok, I think I have it but could use a little help. When the cruise ship docks it is a 10-15 min walk to ferry. (Smith & Speedy) Then $30 ferry roundtrip to Virgin Gorda and a 15 min taxi ride to The Baths. Questions:

#1 Can you take one ferry comapny over and a different one for the return trip? Our ship is in port until 5:00. I would rather take Smith's back at 2:15 as compared to Speedy's 11:30 or 3:30 but going over doesn't matter.

#2 I have read that Speedy's offer a package deal with the ferry and taxi ride to The Baths. If I take Smith's how much is the taxi from the dock at Virgin Gorda to The Baths? Are taxis there waiting?

#3 When we are ready to leave The Baths are taxis waiting at the top or do we have to pre-arrange that?

Thanks for any help or suggestions! :)

If you wanted to take seperate ferries you'd have to book single trips with each - they are independant companies.

We took Speedy's.

It is a LONG walk to the ferries, so count this in in your timing.

It was US$25 per adult, US$15 per child and US$5 per person for the taxi.

iI was due to leave at 9am, but left at 9.10am and as it was a newer, larger Cat it took less time to cross. Only 22 minutes.

Taxi bus is waiting at Virgin Gorda to take passengers to the Baths. When you get to the car park the driver will tell you when the ferries back are and what time you need to meet him at. The feryy times we were told (last week) were 1245 hrs and 1445 hrs, and the taxi would pick us up 30 minutes before each (i.e 1215hrs or 1415hrs) We chose the 1415hrs taxi.

It really is a MUST DO trip.

We loved it just as much this time around as we did 6 years ago, and the kids enjoyed it too.

I was VERY worried about walking through the Baths however as I am much larger than before. I was scared I'd get stuck! Don't worry if you are big, you'll manage. As long as you can crouch right down (at one point I was on my hands and knees!) you'll be okay.

I didn't fancy returning that way (the rope bit did it for me) so we took the path back. It's not a short cut - it takes longer, so again count this in in your return timings.

Coolcruise. I'd suggest you check out both companies times, pick one and stick to that. If the web site times don't match with above then e.mail them as I think they've changed.

Speedy's package of ferry and taxi is a good deal and less hassle.

enjoy.

Squeakydust

Were the Baths really crowded with other people from the ship's tour? I think we are the only ship in port that day but these boards seem to say it is crowded which would spoil it. It is also Sunday when we are there so don't know if that makes a difference.

Did you go to St Vincent, can't decide what to do there?

No, it wasn't too crowded.

In fact we only saw a few people from our ship (we were the only one in port that day too)

Not many on our ship (a British one) knew about Virgin Gorda so did tours of Tortola.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't deserted, but it wasn't crowded either. We never bumped into people in the sea, like we did on Mayreau and everyone managed to get a shady spot by the plants (I think I picked up a few bug bites here, but I picked up bites everywhere!!)

When we were walking through the Baths we only met other parties twice. The advised what was ahead etc.

The sand is VERY soft and is hard to walk on.

We wore sturdy sandals that could get wet or water shoes. Flipflops are not an option.

As it being a Sunday I'd e.mail Speedys or Smith regarding their ferry times, just to be on the safe side. We were there on a Wednesday.

Sadly St Vincent wasn't one of the 12 islands we visited! Glad there are still some out there for us to explore.

Archived