Non-refundable flights and cruise insurance

JimAOk1945

Have any of you ever purchased non-refundable air fare? With airfare to overseas destinations so astronomical, those lower airfare prices look very appealing.

Opinions welcome.

I do wonder what specific non-refundable fares you mean, as probably 99% of the airfares discussed on this board are non-refundable.

In a prior career where I needed to have a VERY flexible travel schedule, I regularly purchased fully refundable "Y" tickets. However, that was many moons ago. But today, the only real market for fully refundable tickets are A) business travel where it there is great uncertainty about travel dates/times AND a willingness to pay more for the refundability aspect, B) people traveling on short notice where advance purchase tickets aren't available and C) people with more money than they know what to do with.

As mentioned, non-refundable is the norm. I've had a few refundable tickets for work, but not many. And none personally. Often times (most) a refundable coach fare is more than a non-refundable business class fare, even on longhaul flights.

I do wonder what specific non-refundable fares you mean, as probably 99% of the airfares discussed on this board are non-refundable.

I am seeking information as well as opinions. I had no idea that only non-refundable fares are the only ones discussed here. It looks like I came to the right place for information. The expertise of people who purchase this type of air fare will be very helpful to me.

While perusing the air fare on different airlines for overseas flights, I see there are categories labeled as non-refundable and refundable. Since there is such a remarkable difference in price, I'm thinking of possibly purchasing the non-refundable air flights for our overseas cruise next year.

And yes, I know it's too early to book, I'm doing research.

For past cruises, where we had to fly to the embarkation ports and then have a return flight home, I had our TA purchase the air fare. This is the first time we will be flying overseas for a cruise

Edited by JimAOk1945

As mentioned, non-refundable is the norm. I've had a few refundable tickets for work, but not many. And none personally. Often times (most) a refundable coach fare is more than a non-refundable business class fare, even on longhaul flights.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am seeking information as well as opinions. I had no idea that only non-refundable fares are the only ones discussed here. It looks like I came to the right place for information. The expertise of people who purchase this type of air fare will be very helpful to me.

While perusing the air fare on different airlines for overseas flights, I see there are categories labeled as non-refundable and refundable. Since there is such a remarkable difference in price, I'm thinking of possibly purchasing the non-refundable air flights for our overseas cruise next year.

And yes, I know it's too early to book, I'm doing research.

For past cruises, where we had to fly to the embarkation ports and then have a return flight home, I had our TA purchase the air fare. This is the first time we will be flying overseas for a cruise

I don't really see any purpose in buying refundable airfare for a vacation, especially with insurance.

Jimaok,

There are tools you can use to check airfares to your port of embarkation. Kayak, ITAMATRIX, Yapta are free sites that will provide flights by price, airlines and schedules.

Before you book do please return to this forum with any questions such as connection times, airlines, airports, amenities onboard etc.

As far as your insurance, use insuremytrip.com to find a variety of policies. There is also a travel insurance forum on Cruise Critic.

When we cruise, especially to far flung destinations we always include the approximate price of the airfare in our calculations as well as any hotels with nonrefundable rates. To be more specific we include everything that must be prepaid and is non-refundable. In some European ports excursions are historically prepaid.

I'm sure you know that to cover pre-existing conditions the insurance must be booked within a specific window or the original cruise booking. This can range up to 14 days or longer so it is imperative that you have everything priced out. We have been able to adjust the insurance with several companies as our plans have changed (price increases.)

I don't really see any purpose in buying refundable airfare for a vacation, especially with insurance.
The only conceivable reason, other than lack of inventory for any other fare, would be to utilize some kind of upgrade instrument that requires a full "Y" or similar fare. And even then, it would often be cheaper to use a discounted business/first rate.

To the OP....don't get hung up on the non-refundability of air tickets. That's what your TA has been buying for you for years, likely without you knowing it. Come back with more specific questions and we'll be happy to give you an education in Airline 101. As long as you can handle the truth! :D :D

They might be non refundable but you can make changes to them

Not always; some tickets don't allow for any changes.

IME, with the vast majority of non-refundable tickets, you can either make changes for a fee (typically around $150/ticket for domestic, and $250 or so per ticket for international), or you can cancel the ticket and while you won't get a refund per se, you can usually get a credit (less the ticket change fee) to use on a future flight within some specified time period.

There ARE tickets out there though, that are non-refundable, non-changeable, and can't even be canceled for acredit toward a future flight. These are highly restricted tickets, and would most likely be the type of tickets one might get through a consolidator or other 3rd party. If you buy a ticket directly from the airline, I believe the ticket would likely be either changeable OR you could cancel and get a partial credit toward another flight, so not a 100% loss if you cancel the trip.

This is from British Airways site:

Changes

Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for a change fee of 3600 SEK or an upgrade fee of 3600 SEK plus any difference in fare. Changes subject to availability. Fees apply per ticket

If you want to cancel your flight

There are no refunds except for any government & airport taxes

3600 SEK is around 500 USD.

IME, with the vast majority of non-refundable tickets, you can either make changes for a fee (typically around $150/ticket for domestic, and $250 or so per ticket for international), or you can cancel the ticket and while you won't get a refund per se, you can usually get a credit (less the ticket change fee) to use on a future flight within some specified time period.

There ARE tickets out there though, that are non-refundable, non-changeable, and can't even be canceled for acredit toward a future flight. These are highly restricted tickets, and would most likely be the type of tickets one might get through a consolidator or other 3rd party. If you buy a ticket directly from the airline, I believe the ticket would likely be either changeable OR you could cancel and get a partial credit toward another flight, so not a 100% loss if you cancel the trip.

From THIS PAGE on the DL website:
The policies regarding ticket changes for nonrefundable tickets vary. Bulk fare or tour fare tickets issued through certain third-party websites and travel agents are not eligible for any changes.

Caveat Emptor! Edited by FlyerTalker

What we will probably do is fly coach to the East coast and from there take a non-stop Business Class flight into Barcelona a few days ahead of the cruise.

Have any of you done this? If so, which airline did you use and did you have a good experience with the service of that airline?

Thanks!

Come back with more specific questions and we'll be happy to give you an education in Airline 101. As long as you can handle the truth! :D :D

I notice some airlines have both First and Business Class. Some have different categories of Business Class. Can you explain the differences?

I want to sound knowledgeable when speaking to my TA. :cool:

I notice some airlines have both First and Business Class. Some have different categories of Business Class. Can you explain the differences?

I want to sound knowledgeable when speaking to my TA. :cool:

In most cases (not all), airlines with First, Business and Economy classes are limited to larger long haul flights. It's rare, for example, to find both First AND Business within the US. First class is starting to die off a bit internationally - since the economic downtown, businesses aren't sending people First as much as they used to, and instead and sending them Business. What you have seen is First class being removed from many aircraft (as more people get upgrades or use awards to get in to First rather than actually paying for it), and the increase in the size and quality of Business class cabins - more lie flat, and a product closer to First.

I'm not really familiar with multiple types of Business class. Business class can vary drastically across airlines and even aircraft types within that airline, so it's best to look at the exact airline and aircraft type. But it's not so much like Economy where there's often Economy and Premium Economy...there's no such thing, that I am aware of, of Business and Premium Business class. I would be curious what you are seeing that is considered "different categories of business class".

I would be curious what you are seeing that is considered "different categories of business class".

I don't recall now which airline I saw that on. I've been doing a lot of research online and failed to save that link.

What we will probably do is fly coach to the East coast and from there take a non-stop Business Class flight into Barcelona a few days ahead of the cruise. Our cruise is a 12 day round trip Western Med from Barcelona. We also plan to fly Business Class on the return flight to the East coast and then coach on the remaining part of the trip home.

Do you have any experience flying in and out of Barcelona? If so, which airline did you use and did you have a good experience with the service of that airline?

Thanks!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I want to sound knowledgeable when speaking to my TA.

If you aren't an expert on air travel, it could be dangerous to sound knowledgeable when talking to your TA. Why would you want to do that? To make yourself look better in their eyes? The downside is that they might assume that you know more than you do - and I think you'd be the first to admit that you actually don't know very much about this at all.

Take one common example here: Do you know the difference between a direct flight and a non-stop flight? If you don't, but your TA assumes that you do because you sound knowledgeable, they might persuade you to buy a direct flight (having correctly described it as such) - and then you might be disappointed to find out later that it isn't a non-stop flight.

Better, surely, to go to your TA and say "I know very little about this, and I need my hand held and everything explained to me".

As for the different types of business class, you may have seen descriptions of the differences between long-haul business class (which these days typically includes flat or horizontal beds) and short-haul business class (which within Europe is more like a premium economy product or even an economy product with frills).

What we will probably do is fly coach to the East coast and from there take a non-stop Business Class flight into Barcelona a few days ahead of the cruise. Our cruise is a 12 day round trip Western Med from Barcelona. We also plan to fly Business Class on the return flight to the East coast and then coach on the remaining part of the trip home.
What brought you to this plan? It seriously limits your airline options for the trans-Atlantic flights. Moreover, on the way back you have to deal with the irritating process of having to clear immigration and customs at your first US port, rather than (possibly) leaving that to your final destination if you can make that your first US port.