ATL Layover Enough?

Jfultz81

We just got an update from Orbitz letting us know that the airline changed our flight. We were going to have an hour layover @ ATL and now its only 35 minutes. They tried doing this a few months ago as well and we called and someone switched us. Should I go through the hassle of calling again or is 35 min enough time?

Personally, I would try to change this and get a longer layover.

It is always helpful to provide more information such as which airline are you taking where are you starting from and where are you going.

But, I just prefer something longer than 35 minutes so if it was me I would change it.

Keith

Sorry..

We are on Delta:

MCI to ATL 5:50 AM/Arrive 8:59 AM

ATL to FLL 9:35 AM/Arrive 11:44 AM

We've done a Heathrow terminal change in 45 min, so I know ATL in 35 is doable.. but if we are late at all, it would really be pushing it (and I've heard Delta isn't the most on time carrier). I think I'll be calling Orbitz yet again... hopefully this is the last change!

Call and change it!! 35 minutes is barely legal. Minimum connection time on Delta at ATL is 35 minutes. The definition I've heard for minimum connection time is the time it takes a world champion runner to run between two gates.

wrp96- I like to stay fit and active in daily life. I had the "fun" of an inbound connection @DFW that was late. The outbound flight (last of the evening due to the SNA curfew) was leaving from the next terminal. I ran the Dallas Marathon with rollaboard in tow. Probably 1/2 mile (800 meters) distance. 100 yards from the gate I heard the "last call" PA and my name! I ran up to the agent ("WAIT, WAIT"). She held the door.

Since staying fit and eating right is difficult when traveling, maybe tight connections are the new fitness tip! :D

wrp96- I like to stay fit and active in daily life. I had the "fun" of an inbound connection @DFW that was late. The outbound flight (last of the evening due to the SNA curfew) was leaving from the next terminal. I ran the Dallas Marathon with rollaboard in tow. Probably 1/2 mile (800 meters) distance. 100 yards from the gate I heard the "last call" PA and my name! I ran up to the agent ("WAIT, WAIT"). She held the door.

Since staying fit and eating right is difficult when traveling, maybe tight connections are the new fitness tip! :D

I've done the Dallas marathon several times myself - using my violin case as a battering ram when people wouldn't get out of the way. My mother still talks about doing that run with me in her arms when I was 2 years old - guess that's where I get my love of travel.:p Still if I had my druthers, I'd rather skip the running through the airport bit.;)

Sorry but 35 minutes is not acceptable. If you are in the back of the first airplane, you will have very little chance of getting to your next airplane in time to board not to mention having any hope of getting any space in an overhead bin.

I wouldn't do it. If you've never been through the ATL airport, you have no idea how large and congested it is. There is a tram you have to take to get between concourses. If you land at the end of concourse A and leave from the end of concourse D, you're talking about a 15 minute gate change time. You also need to factor in taxi time to the gate (which can be up to 10 minutes, so if you land on time you might get to the gate late), and keep in mind also that flights typically close out 10 minutes prior to departure. God forbid it rains because the airport will become a mess. If you can't change it, hopefully everything will be on time and your connecting gates will be close to each other. If you can change it with no penalty, I would highly recommend doing so.

We just got an update from Orbitz letting us know that the airline changed our flight. We were going to have an hour layover @ ATL and now its only 35 minutes. They tried doing this a few months ago as well and we called and someone switched us. Should I go through the hassle of calling again or is 35 min enough time?

Murphy's Law for Atlanta Airport:

If something is going to go wrong, it WILL happen at Atlanta. :eek:

Seriously, I avoid Atlanta at all cost.

35 min @ any airport is not enough time.

Can it be done?

yes.

Are you taking a huge risk?

yes.

Do I want to take that risk in connection with my cruise vacation?

No.

The last time I flew to ATL it was on Delta last May 31 and although our flight arrived on time, our gate was occupied by another flight that was running late. We sat on the tarmac for at least 20 minutes before we could even connect to the jetway. Getting out of the plane took another 15 minutes.

Another Atlanta Airport Law:

When connecting the distance between the two gates is inversely proportional to the time you have to make the connection.

so true! We nearly missed our flight to hawai due to rain delays. Apparently ATL doesn't function well in the rain. We ran to the tram, boarded, ran to the next gate & it took 1/2 hour due to the crowds. They were paging us & nearly left us. Never will I travel through ATL again. again

You also need to factor in taxi time to the gate (which can be up to 10 minutes, so if you land on time you might get to the gate late), .

Listed departure and arrival times are gate times. So if a flight is listed at arriving at 8:59, that IS the time it is scheduled to be at the gate, not the time the wheels touch down.

Having said that, 35 minutes is cutting it close. You arrive at 8:59. Your 9:35 departure will begin boarding at about 9:05, and boarding will probably end around 9:25, unless that flight is delayed as well. Even if your arriving flight is on time, that gives you only about 25 minutes to get off the plane (tough to do quickly if you're in the back rows), get through the aiport and to your next gate. At that point, as others have mentioned, the chance of having any remaining overhead bin space is slim, and if you have to stop and us the bathroom on the way to the gate you will really be pushing it. Forget about having time to stop for a soda or snack.

And of course, if your arriving flight is delayed by as little as 10 or 15 minutes, you are almost guaranteed to miss your connection unless miraculously the gates are both on the same concourse and close to each other within the concourse.

Bottom line: Call and get it changed.

Listed departure and arrival times are gate times. So if a flight is listed at arriving at 8:59, that IS the time it is scheduled to be at the gate, not the time the wheels touch down.

Meg, I'm an ATL based flight attendant and go through this every day. Yes, the time listed is the time the plane is due in at the gate. But take my last flight tonight, for instance. We were due in at 8:20 and landed at 8:17. By the time we got to the gate, it was 8:30. We landed on the fifth runway, which is FAR from the terminals. You have to cross over several other runways where a plane is taking off or landing every minute, and it's a lot of stop and go. Depending on the time of day, the taxi time will take between 10-15 minutes when landing on the 5th (the newest) runway. Yes, I have timed it. That's why I said to factor in taxi time. Also as someone else posted, the gate could be occupied when you land and you could have to sit and wait 5-10 minutes for the gate to become available. This happens quite often too. ATL is an airport unlike any other. Delays are as common as blinking and you have to be prepared for anything when flying in here.

Meg, I'm an ATL based flight attendant and go through this every day. Yes, the time listed is the time the plane is due in at the gate. But take my last flight tonight, for instance. We were due in at 8:20 and landed at 8:17. By the time we got to the gate, it was 8:30. We landed on the fifth runway, which is FAR from the terminals. You have to cross over several other runways where a plane is taking off or landing every minute, and it's a lot of stop and go. Depending on the time of day, the taxi time will take between 10-15 minutes when landing on the 5th (the newest) runway. Yes, I have timed it. That's why I said to factor in taxi time. Also as someone else posted, the gate could be occupied when you land and you could have to sit and wait 5-10 minutes for the gate to become available. This happens quite often too. ATL is an airport unlike any other. Delays are as common as blinking and you have to be prepared for anything when flying in here.

Oh trust me, I fly in and out of ATL a couple dozen times a year, and I know the scheduled gate time does not always = the actual gate time, there or anyway else. I just wanted to make sure the OP understood that the time listed on the itinerary is the scheduled gate time, not the "wheels down" time.

Either way, the OP has a short connection time that allows virtually no wiggle room for a delay of any kind, and should try to get it changed. :)

ATL Hartsfield is the largest International Airport in the WORLD! And it shows. I really hate it, but often have to fly to and from there. Delta "owns" this airport (their hub) and they use at least three (maybe four?) of the six concourses. Changing concourses means either a very long run or using the longest escalators (twice) you've ever been on AND the trains. Fortunately, I don't have to change planes there....just depart and arrive. Horrible Security lines, too! I've seen them literally wind through the central Food Court (between the North and South Terminals) many times. It'll be well worth the call to get rid of that barely legal 35 minute layover time! Good luck to you, and enjoy your cruise!

I've been reading the thread with interest as I have begun looking at flights from Myrtle Beach SC to Vancouver and return from Anchorage to MYR next June. No good way to go, however looks like the best of the worst will be with Delta transitting in Atlanta.

What would you recomend the min. time allowed be if arriving early am? Would 1 hour be ok?

Thanks for your help.

Jill

I've been reading the thread with interest as I have begun looking at flights from Myrtle Beach SC to Vancouver and return from Anchorage to MYR next June. No good way to go, however looks like the best of the worst will be with Delta transitting in Atlanta.

What would you recomend the min. time allowed be if arriving early am? Would 1 hour be ok?

Thanks for your help.

Jill

Jill, I would count on a delay, and therefore a 2-3 hour layover would be best.

Also, ....see if there are later flights leaving Atlanta that can accommodate your needs, so that there could possibly be backups for you take a later flight if needed.

A lot depends on what time of day you're into ATL. For example, if there are delays on morning flights, it backs up the whole day. In my experience, the later in the day, the more likelihood of a delay. Even so, an hour only works if everything goes perfectly. I like more time and have no problem occupying myself in airports, especially large ones like Hartsfield where there are lots of places to keep you busy.

Archived