What kind of weather to expect on a Danube cruise in October?

KikiKruiser

I'm sure lots of experienced river cruisers out there who can tell me what kind of weather typically to expect on a Danube river cruise mid- to late-October?? I know weather patterns have been crazy, but I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!:)

I like http://www.weatherbase.com to determine the average highs, lows and precipitation.

Felicia

I normally travel end of October to mid November and the weather is absolutely beautiful. Very little or no rain. There are days that it is freezing and then there are days that are so warm that you only need a vest on the upper deck. Weather is so unpredictable these days.

Or take a look at AccuWeather.com. Here is Vienna. You can look at October forecast for this year or look at actual October weather from last year. Or put in the name of another city if you like.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/at/vienna/31868/weather-forecast/31868

Cary, this is a good website! It can give extended forecasts further into the future than any others I've seen.

Plus, I especially like that it's saying sunny while I'm in Budapest! LOL

Felicia

Weather can be all over the map...

We did Budapest to Nuremberg with AMA about 4 years ago in early October. It was short/t-shirt weather in Budapest (28 degrees C.), and stayed that way until after we had been to Durnstein and Melk. Weather became rainy, then then cold. It made the tours unpleasant in Regensburg (lots of rain, temperature not too bad....) and miserable in Nuremberg (less rain, but very cold).

Prague was even colder - and it snowed the morning we left. I dragged my DH into a Marks and Spencer store on Wensceslas Square in Prague so that I could buy a warmer coat!!!

Fran

I have sailed on the Danube twice in late October and because it can be quite chilly in Prague, have taken the Prague-Nuremburg-Budapest route going South both times. That way, I could start out with a light but warm coat (layers are the way to go!) and needed only a lightweight woolen jacket or sweater by the time we got to Budapest. Gorgeous mostly sunny autumn days and beautiful colors all along the way ... cold on deck at times, but great walking weather. I have written detailed accounts of my trips (AmaCello and AmaLyra) so you can read more if you are interested. Have a wonderful cruise!

Linda

We live in Ft. Lauderdale and leave for Prague Oct. 29 and get on the boat in Nuremburg Nov. 2 heading toward Budapest. I an R E A L L Y looking forward to the cool weather. 50 F during the day and 40 F at night will be cold weather for us - we had to go out and buy coats for the trip because it never gets that cold in South Florida.

We cruised on AmaLegro from Budapest to Nürnberg (with add-on to Prague) last October. We spent several days in Budapest prior to the cruise, with a mix of nice days and one blustery day, and a spot of showers. We sailed on October 18, a day late due to closure of the river due to the finding of an unexploded WWII bomb under one of the suburban Budapest bridges. There were some disappointments, but on the plus side, it meant we did a daylight sailing through The Bend of the Danube, and were rewarded with stunning fall color in the trees.

It was cool and breezy most days and quite chilly at night. It did get cooler as we traveled north. There was very little time spent on board during the day, so it was OK that it wasn't warm enough to take the sun on the top deck. Cool sun in Vienna and Bratislava, a bit showery in Dürnstein, sunny in Salzburg, nice in Melk ... the bike riders had a good day..., nice in Regensburg and mixed sun and clouds in Nürnberg. The weather didn't stop us from doing anything, and again, the fall color along the river and around the towns was spectacular. It was mixed sun and clouds for our day's drive to Prague, by way of Karlovy Vary, which was very nice. Lunch in KV was at a covered outdoor cafe huddling next to gas heaters. A great sunny but cool couple of days in Prague, but it was snowing the morning we flew out, 27 October. So overall, it was cold for anyone from Florida, almost normal for us from the northernmost coastal corner of California, and standard autumn for most other folks.

The season does mean that everything is much less crowded, so it is a good time to go.

Archived